Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Signature/Platinum

 

I was wondering why some (Visa) cards are issued as Signature and some as Platinum.  Is there some advantage to the bank for example not to have signature.  Looking at my Visas in order of decreasing CL (highest is 30K, lowest is 15K)

 

Capital One No Hassle, platinum,

Chase Amazon,  Signature,

Penfed, Platinum

Capital One Plat, platinum

Citi AA Visa,, Signature

US Bank Cash Plus, Signature

 

So it doesn't seem related to CL or when I got the card (Penfed and US Bank in the last two weeks for example).  And also not just the issuer, as Cap One does have signature cards as well.  (Although it looks like Penfed doesn't).

 

Any ideas?

 

Blogger
Posts: 3,360
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Re: Signature/Platinum

That's a great question. I'm curious about this too. When I applied for a BofA card through my banking associate, he said I would likely be approved for a Visa Signature as a preferred customer. I thought this was roughly the standard for all creditors, but clearly, if a creditor approves a 15k limit, you must be a great customer with them too.

Established Contributor
Posts: 560
Registered: ‎09-29-2012
0

Re: Signature/Platinum


bs6054 wrote:

 

I was wondering why some (Visa) cards are issued as Signature and some as Platinum.  Is there some advantage to the bank for example not to have signature.  Looking at my Visas in order of decreasing CL (highest is 30K, lowest is 15K)

 

Capital One No Hassle, platinum,

Chase Amazon,  Signature,

Penfed, Platinum

Capital One Plat, platinum

Citi AA Visa,, Signature

US Bank Cash Plus, Signature

 

So it doesn't seem related to CL or when I got the card (Penfed and US Bank in the last two weeks for example).  And also not just the issuer, as Cap One does have signature cards as well.  (Although it looks like Penfed doesn't).

 

Any ideas?

 


I think that the issuing bank probably has to pay a premium for the premium cards. 

 

Much like a bank that offers cards with the PayPass feature in MC.  PayPass is an optional feature.  So I am sure that the issuer has to pay a premium in order to give their bank customers that option.

 

Visa's pecking order goes something like this:  Visa Standard, Visa Gold, Visa Platinum, Visa Siggy

New Contributor
Posts: 86
Registered: ‎10-29-2012
0

Re: Signature/Platinum

I have heard that the banks rake in higher swipe fees for Visa Signature cards than for regular Visas, so there's a benefit for them to issuing Signature cards.

Recent FICO scores: TU - 755 (mortgage lender pull)
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 11,193
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: Signature/Platinum


Omri wrote:

I have heard that the banks rake in higher swipe fees for Visa Signature cards than for regular Visas, so there's a benefit for them to issuing Signature cards.


Actually it's a higher merchant fee which goes on to the transaction network (Visa / MC in the World Elite case) is my understanding it.

 

Platinum used to mean something, but now it's basically the standard card.  Signature has requirements (5K minimum CL) and also comes with additional benefits. That's really about it, other than some Signature cards don't get their CL's reported but fortunately there's fewer lenders that do that every year.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 700, TU 04 731, EX 98 725 (05/24/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,986
Registered: ‎01-24-2012
0

Re: Signature/Platinum


Revelate wrote:


Actually it's a higher merchant fee which goes on to the transaction network (Visa / MC in the World Elite case) is my understanding it.

 

Platinum used to mean something, but now it's basically the standard card.  Signature has requirements (5K minimum CL) and also comes with additional benefits. That's really about it, other than some Signature cards don't get their CL's reported but fortunately there's fewer lenders that do that every year.


True about platinum. I was watching a television show from some years back and the girl thought it was awesome her parents had a platinum visa. Visa Signature has become meaningless as well. 5000 is way to low for a supposedly high ranking card. It would be better to be 15 or 20. I would lose the ones I have, but oh well. Creditors give them out like nothing these days.

 

Not every issuer offers a Visa Signature card either. To me it does not really matter. Going over the limit is nice, but the concierge was worthless when I tested it.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: Signature/Platinum


navigatethis12 wrote:

Revelate wrote:


Actually it's a higher merchant fee which goes on to the transaction network (Visa / MC in the World Elite case) is my understanding it.

 

Platinum used to mean something, but now it's basically the standard card.  Signature has requirements (5K minimum CL) and also comes with additional benefits. That's really about it, other than some Signature cards don't get their CL's reported but fortunately there's fewer lenders that do that every year.


True about platinum. I was watching a television show from some years back and the girl thought it was awesome her parents had a platinum visa. Visa Signature has become meaningless as well. 5000 is way to low for a supposedly high ranking card. It would be better to be 15 or 20. I would lose the ones I have, but oh well. Creditors give them out like nothing these days.

 

Not every issuer offers a Visa Signature card either. To me it does not really matter. Going over the limit is nice, but the concierge was worthless when I tested it.


Yes, things change!  I remember, back in the 80's, I got my first Gold Mastercard, and some people were impressed.  Don't think that would do so much these days.

But thanks everyone for the answers, good possible explanations for why Signature vs Platinum seems not to be too correlated with CL (over the $5K minimum for signature) or level of rewards.

 

Contributor
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Re: Signature/Platinum


Omri wrote:

I have heard that the banks rake in higher swipe fees for Visa Signature cards than for regular Visas, so there's a benefit for them to issuing Signature cards.



I have heard that as well. 

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Regular Contributor
Posts: 135
Registered: ‎01-04-2012
0

Re: Signature/Platinum

at our CU, standard visa is 2500, gold is 5000 and platinum is 10000

FICO EQ: 633 8/15/12
lender pulled 11/3/12 EQ 661 TU 650 EX598
credit Karma 674 credit sesame: 663
B/K discharged 2/2006......closed 8/2012

May your limits be high and your balances low!

Established Contributor
Posts: 909
Registered: ‎12-25-2010
0

Re: Signature/Platinum


bs6054 wrote:

 

I was wondering why some (Visa) cards are issued as Signature and some as Platinum.  Is there some advantage to the bank for example not to have signature.  Looking at my Visas in order of decreasing CL (highest is 30K, lowest is 15K)

 

Capital One No Hassle, platinum,

Chase Amazon,  Signature,

Penfed, Platinum

Capital One Plat, platinum

Citi AA Visa,, Signature

US Bank Cash Plus, Signature

 

So it doesn't seem related to CL or when I got the card (Penfed and US Bank in the last two weeks for example).  And also not just the issuer, as Cap One does have signature cards as well.  (Although it looks like Penfed doesn't).

 

Any ideas?

 


It's based on the level of service you receive.  Signature Card holders are privy to a 24/7 Concierge service that should assist you in restaurant reservations, travel bookings, tickets at sporting events, and some may even assist in daycare for a pet while traveling. It also doesn't hurt to ask if there are any available discounts for travel or fine dining, and getting tickets to a popular or sold out event. Also unlike a Platinum card, there is no over limit fee.


Starting Score: TU 686 EX 641 EQ 690
Current Score: TU 779 EX 767 EQ 740
Goal Score: 800 Club

BCE $12.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Wally Discover 10K, Cash+ $9K Sam's Discover 10K, Freedom $6K, Zales $5.5K, More $5K, Cap one $5K, Barclay 2.5K, Household Plat $1.5K, Household Gold $1.5K, Credit One $1K, First Premier Plat $.675K First Premier Gold $.65K
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.