Cadillac-XTS

Re: Signature/Platinum

+1

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Credit314 wrote:

+1

Credit314, I see from this post that you agree with the previous reply. Do you mind elaborating on your experiences? Detailed and constructive posts containing your experiences and thoughts are always helpful to others who may be going through the same thing! Thanks in advance for your additional input!

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
bs6054

JonStur wrote:

It's based on the level of service you receive.  Signature Card holders are privy to a 24/7 Concierge service that should assist you in restaurant reservations, travel bookings, tickets at sporting events, and some may even assist in daycare for a pet while traveling. It also doesn't hurt to ask if there are any available discounts for travel or fine dining, and getting tickets to a popular or sold out event. Also unlike a Platinum card, there is no over limit fee.

That's an explanation of the difference between the type of cards.   My question is what determines whether bank X issues user Y a signature or a platinum.  From my original post in most cases ("most" only because some issuers don't have signature cards) it doesn't seem dependent on CL, which would be an obvious guess.

Established Contributor
YahComb

For the most part, when You are approved for a card above 5000 nowadays it will be a visa sig-however if you pass 5000 through credit limit increases, then most dont automatically convert, you usually need b to ask them to switch from platinum to visa signature.
EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Valued Contributor
trumpet-205

ccnewcc wrote:

I think that the issuing bank probably has to pay a premium for the premium cards. 

Much like a bank that offers cards with the PayPass feature in MC.  PayPass is an optional feature.  So I am sure that the issuer has to pay a premium in order to give their bank customers that option.

Visa's pecking order goes something like this:  Visa Standard, Visa Gold, Visa Platinum, Visa Siggy

Issuing bank earn more swipe fee for Signature than Platinum. Same from Platimum vs Gold, etc.

But Signature offers the option to spend over your credit limit, so Signature is reserved for those with excellent credit.

In My Wallet:
Citi Forward (12/2010) | Citi Dividend (05/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | GECRB/PayPal (05/2012)
Discover it (07/2012) | AMEX BCP (09/2012) | TD/Target REDCard (10/2012) | Chase Ink Classic (11/2012)
BofA BBR (04/2013) | FNBO/Overstock.com (02/2014) | Barclaycard Arrival (04/2014) | FIA/Fidelity AMEX (04/2014)
Valued Contributor
bs6054

trumpet-205 wrote:

ccnewcc wrote:

I think that the issuing bank probably has to pay a premium for the premium cards. 

Much like a bank that offers cards with the PayPass feature in MC.  PayPass is an optional feature.  So I am sure that the issuer has to pay a premium in order to give their bank customers that option.

Visa's pecking order goes something like this:  Visa Standard, Visa Gold, Visa Platinum, Visa Siggy

Issuing bank earn more swipe fee for Signature than Platinum. Same from Platimum vs Gold, etc.

But Signature offers the option to spend over your credit limit, so Signature is reserved for those with excellent credit.

But as others have said, there are probably added costs as well.   What drove my question is getting in the same week: Penfed Platinum Rewards with a 20K limit and a US Bank Cash Plus with 15K.  The latter is signature, the first isn't.  Looking into it more, it seems that Penfed doesn't have signature cards, so presumably there is some incentive for them not to.

My highest CL Visa card (Cap One, 30K) is also just Platinum, but that is fairly old (2004), and even though that was the initial (and current!) CL, it might be that at that time signature didn't exist/wasn't common/Cap One didn't do it.

Valued Contributor
mxp114

My guess is some lenders target a different market, perhaps focus on users that won't need/want concierge or other Signature services. Or simply they don't want the added expense of subsidizing some of these benefits. PenFed doesn't issue Visa Signature, which does seem unusual.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}