Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signing a Discover Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Signing a Discover Card

@Anonymous wrote:

And the signing debate begins again . . . 

When I searched I saw it was debated. I really just wanted to know about Discover specifically as it did not seem to have the same requirements as Visa/MC.

Message 11 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When I searched I saw it was debated. I really just wanted to know about Discover specifically as it did not seem to have the same requirements as Visa/MC.

Yeah, there's no real "debate" from me... I even stated such. 

I only posted to explain why I do sign my cards... folks are welcome to do what they wish, and I will both respect and support their decision, even if it's different from my own.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 17
core
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, there's no real "debate" from me... I even stated such. 

And the debate begins over whether we're debating.

johnjohn- Why not call Discover and ask them?  They just might know since it's their card, their network, their rules.  Would be an excellent time to report the merchant too, if they are making stuff up.  Not that it will do any good.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most cards either have a "not valid unless signed" or "subject to the T&c agreement," both of which tend to require sighing. Discover appears to be the exception, as I can't find any such indications on my or DW's IT.
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

If a credit card says, "Signature Required - Not Valid Without Signature" - and many of them do, writing 'See ID" or "CID" on the back won't work.  My local USPS is particulary 'funny' about this, and I've seen them refuse to take a card more than once (they make you hand it to them after swiping it yourself). 

There are numerous threads on this with various opinions, and here's mine:  I want to make my purchase with as little "drama" as possible, so my cards are signed. 

I have found that arguing the policy only gets the clerk/cashier more 'entrenched', and it's not my goal (or job) to educate various cashiers on the finer points of MC/V/D/Amex merchant contracts.

If there's fraud, that's the credit card issuer's problem - not mine.  The credit card issuers are paid BIG bucks to deal with that kind of thing, and since we have the abiliby to view our accounts in real-time it's unlikely a fraudster could get very far, anyway.

Interestingly, my USPS always asks for the credit card (they even know me) after I use it in the card terminal. Even for a $6 purchase and enters something from the card (so why have me swipe it?). As others have said, I don't want the "drama" over "see ID" or hold up the twenty people in line explaining the rules of the game to a customer service person who is busy and could not care less.

Message 15 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It wasn't a huge deal, I just switched for a MasterCard, which I had signed. I sign my Visa and Mastercards because it's clearly marked to sign and the cardholder agreements require it.

Several of my Visas and MasterCards are not clearly marked.  The signature box is for your signature whether it says so or not.

The whether or not to sign debate is constantly rehashed without any new final verdict but I'd agree with the conclusion from Straight Dope:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2819/is-it-safer-not-to-sign-the-back-of-your-credit-cards

Of course, the fact that merchants are supposed to make you sign the back of the credit card doesn't mean they will. No doubt many will simply ask for ID, which is what you want them to do. It's not like failing to sign the card is against the law; you're liable for purchases you make with your card even if you don't sign it. All I'm saying is, if you don't sign, be prepared to get some grief.

As with any topic, base your decision on your preferences and priorities.

@Spider15 wrote:

Interestingly, my USPS always asks for the credit card (they even know me) after I use it in the card terminal.

I've never been asked. That's anecdotal evidence for you.

Message 16 of 17
Aahz
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a clerk refuse my Discover card for not being signed.

It wasn't a huge deal, I just switched for a MasterCard, which I had signed. I sign my Visa and Mastercards because it's clearly marked to sign and the cardholder agreements require it.

However, I have not been able to find anything like this for Discover. My It has a lightly Discover logo'd box where a signature could go, but it does not say it's for a signature on the card.

Is it correct that a Discover card should be signed?

Regardless of what Discover has to say about it, any merchant is free to set their own rules regarding whether or not they require a card be signed, or if they want to ask for ID from a customer.  So, the answer to your question is: yes, at that store, it is correct that your DIscover card should be signed.

And yes, I'm fully aware of the policies in V/MC merchant agreements.  However that agreement is between the merchant and V/MC and has nothing to do with the consumer.  Merchants are free to violate it all they like and their credit card processor is free to cancel their contract - or not.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.