Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signing your card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Signing your card

@Anonymous wrote:
measter card  has an online form to report merchant violations most of my cards a visa , so i have to do it the hard way

You can also call their toll-free number to complain.  MasterCard will accept phone reports, but Visa will attempt to convince you to report the merchant via your own card-issuing bank.  If you tel them that is not possible, they will ultimately take your report.  I have gone back to the offending merchant(s) a day or two later and found they had been re-educated.

This not only works for ID issues and minimum / maximum purchase requirements, but also for failure to perform manual approvals when their POS machines are out of service.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I am just curious.  What do you say if you don't want to show your ID when they ask?  I can't come up with a way to say that nicely and still walk out with my purchase.  Anyone care to share how they handle that?
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So I am just curious.  What do you say if you don't want to show your ID when they ask?  I can't come up with a way to say that nicely and still walk out with my purchase.  Anyone care to share how they handle that?

I usually tell them that I don't have ID on me and also that, as a matter of fact, their merchant agreement contract prohibits them from even asking for ID.  If they feel my card is being used fraudulently, their supposed to call the authorization center for a Code 10.

Most the time they'll then leave you alone and let you complete the purchase.  However, I still call the card Visa / MasterCard / AmEx and drop a dime on them.   The card association will contact the merchant's acquiring bank who, in turn, will contact the merchant and lay down the law.

Message 13 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

i usually just show my ID, i get really anxious in social situations & prefer to just get in & get out.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.