Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signing your card

tag
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

Signing your card

Hi all, a little off topic but something I am curious about....

On another website, people were saying how they never sign the back of their card and, at best, will put "Please See ID" but that some people even refuse to show their ID.  All these people said it was never a problem using the card.

Has anyone here done that or are y'all like me...and sign the card?  Do you think it matters who the card is owned by?

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Signing your card

i used to put please see id on the my cards...now i don't even do that.  90% of people don't check it anyway.  never been declined.
Message 2 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

I never signed the back of any of my cards.  Most of the time, I swipe my card myself.  Those who works in retail and other establishments, that handles credit cards, are not concerned about your card being signed.  Signing the receipt is all that matters to them.
Message 3 of 14
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Peach8321 wrote:

On another website, people were saying how they never sign the back of their card and, at best, will put "Please See ID" but that some people even refuse to show their ID.  All these people said it was never a problem using the card.

Has anyone here done that or are y'all like me...and sign the card?  Do you think it matters who the card is owned by?

Peach8321, there's several posts (as part of another thread, found here) concerning the whole signing the card/showing ID thing.  You might be interested in seeing those.

I do sign my cards, but I won't show ID. 

As far as issuers are concerned, I don't know... but the merchant may insist on a signed card, like the Post Office in my town does...no siggy, no stamps..no exceptions.

Message 4 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@Peach8321 wrote:

Peach8321, there's several posts (as part of another thread, found here) concerning the whole signing the card/showing ID thing.  You might be interested in seeing those.

I do sign my cards, but I won't show ID. 

As far as issuers are concerned, I don't know... but the merchant may insist on a signed card, like the Post Office in my town does...no siggy, no stamps..no exceptions.

i believe on another thread someone said visa & mc state that showing ID cannot be required in order to complete a purchase...in other words, they can't refuse your sale if you refuse to show ID.  i doubt that it really works out that way, though.

Message 5 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

My understanding is that a merchant can refuse your card if you haven't signed, and they can't ask for ID.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
My understanding is that a merchant can refuse your card if you haven't signed, and they can't ask for ID.
That's funny. I just got back from the local Shaw's supermarket and they have signs everywhere stating, "ALL credit card purchases over $100 require I.D. check - NO EXCEPTIONS"
They're laminated signs that look like they're from corporate. If so it's interesting that a large grocery chain doesn't understand their contract with the CCC. 

Message 7 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think one of the links posted earlier on this thread went back to a long, wrangling discussion about this a year or so ago.

As I understand it, Visa and MC forbid asking for additional ID, and supposedly you can rat out merchants who try to do so. I can see both sides of the issue --if a store were genuinely looking out for me by asking for additional ID, I wouldn't mind. But since the typical 17-year-old gum-snapper rarely even glances at the back of my cards, much less compares the signature there to the one I produce at check-out, I don't get any warm fuzzies from the idea of the store providing an extra layer of security.

My guess is that the CCC's have fraud recovery built in as a cost of doing business, and it's cheaper to fix it after it happens than to deal with irate customers who were declined at the register.

In fact, I've always begged people to reject my driver's license as not looking like me, but unfortunately, they seem to find a match. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I think one of the links posted earlier on this thread went back to a long, wrangling discussion about this a year or so ago.

As I understand it, Visa and MC forbid asking for additional ID, and supposedly you can rat out merchants who try to do so. I can see both sides of the issue --if a store were genuinely looking out for me by asking for additional ID, I wouldn't mind. But since the typical 17-year-old gum-snapper rarely even glances at the back of my cards, much less compares the signature there to the one I produce at check-out, I don't get any warm fuzzies from the idea of the store providing an extra layer of security.

My guess is that the CCC's have fraud recovery built in as a cost of doing business, and it's cheaper to fix it after it happens than to deal with irate customers who were declined at the register.

In fact, I've always begged people to reject my driver's license as not looking like me, but unfortunately, they seem to find a match. Smiley Tongue

Yes, you can "rat out" merchants who ask for ID or who have minimum / maximum amounts they will accept with card payments.  I have ratted out several and apparently Visa / MasterCard / AmEx does take swift and effective action.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

measter card  has an online form to report merchant violations most of my cards a visa , so i have to do it the hard way
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.