cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silly Question....

Established Contributor

Silly Question....

I have seen some people have a combined CC limits at around 30...40K....How in the world do you achieve this....aside from having a clean report....Is it based off of income or something else? Just curious

 

Cheryl

Current as of 7/10/17 EQ 598 TU 611 EX 629
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES
Moderator Emerita

Re: Silly Question....

It depends on the person, some have a lot of cc's, some have few cc's with large CLI's. income, clean to semi clean report also the cc issuer can make a difference. GE, NFCU are very generous with CL and CLI's
Message 2 of 15
Super Contributor

Re: Silly Question....


09Lexie wrote:
It depends on the person, some have a lot of cc's, some have few cc's with large CLI's. income, clean to semi clean report also the cc issuer can make a difference. GE, NFCU are very generous with CL and CLI's

+1 what lexie said

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 15
Super Contributor

Re: Silly Question....

+1 to what lexie said.
A quick and easy way to get a high CL is to have a high income and clean credit report. If not, a long credit history and clean credit report will also help you with getting CLIs over time.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 15
Moderator Emerita

Re: Silly Question....

Message 5 of 15
Mega Contributor

Re: Silly Question....


Cheryla18 wrote:

I have seen some people have a combined CC limits at around 30...40K....How in the world do you achieve this....aside from having a clean report....Is it based off of income or something else? Just curious

 

Cheryl


Thick, clean files and good income get the higher CLs.




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 15
Senior Contributor

Re: Silly Question....

Everyone is right.
Ime, once ANY issue allows you$5k + that's when the others take notice.
My first $4500 limit was a Smile Generation Financial card. From that point forward, all of my limits began increasing substantially and my new approvals had pretty high initial limits too (4-7k range).
If you have 50-70k income, you should be able to get $5k-10k limits easily
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 15
Valued Contributor

Re: Silly Question....

I went from $320 in CL to well over $40K in CL this past year, and I neither have "high" (high is relative) income, nor the thickest file.

 

I think with most things credit YMMV

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014 750+
3/2017 780+
5/2017 800+
Message 8 of 15
Valued Contributor

Re: Silly Question....

For me it was thick file, no lates on any credit card. and good income and time.

 

Time is probably the most important part and working with creditors that offer good CLI's. GE rocks, yes they start out small but they grow fast, and once you are in there good standings even new cards can grow fast and be your highest CL's of GE cards. Started with an Amazon card with a $600 2 years later its now $3900 with out any phone calls to the underwriters. Walmart card started out at $900, 18 months later its at $2500. Paypal MC extras started at $2000, now $3200 just 9 months old, Sam's club started at $800 now its $4800 and its only 9 months old and its my highest Store card limit.

 

Coventry is another good bank to get in with, pre-approved offers via the shopping cart trick, gets you TL's without INQ's usually happen when you are over 610 Fico's and after 9 months they give small CLI's every 3-4 months. Just got a $200 auto-cli (from $500 to $700) on my roamans card this morning in a few weeks I should get more cli love on there cards, yes they are addicting, I have 6 of their cards could probably close two of them at least, but no AF's and they help with UTL and no one will tell me my file is thin.

 

Once you get in with Prime lenders you limits really do grow quickly. I'm sure once I garden for the next 6 months I will be getting cards that start over $7500 CL's. Just remember when you reach prime lenders approvals aren't as easy they will deny you if have too many INQ's the subprime lenders usually approve even if you have gotten 2-3 cards in the last 6 months but with prime cards its one-two cards max at least untill your AAoA is over a couple years.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 10k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak/Freedom 4.6k, FNBO DISC 25.1k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 6k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 7.5k, CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 5.9k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 9k, Discover IT 16k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP/HP 5/15/2017 Marcus Loan. 30k
Message 9 of 15
Established Contributor

Re: Silly Question....


jamesdwi wrote:

For me it was thick file, no lates on any credit card. and good income and time.

 

Time is probably the most important part and working with creditors that offer good CLI's. GE rocks, yes they start out small but they grow fast, and once you are in there good standings even new cards can grow fast and be your highest CL's of GE cards. Started with an Amazon card with a $600 2 years later its now $3900 with out any phone calls to the underwriters. Walmart card started out at $900, 18 months later its at $2500. Paypal MC extras started at $2000, now $3200 just 9 months old, Sam's club started at $800 now its $4800 and its only 9 months old and its my highest Store card limit.

 

Coventry is another good bank to get in with, pre-approved offers via the shopping cart trick, gets you TL's without INQ's usually happen when you are over 610 Fico's and after 9 months they give small CLI's every 3-4 months. Just got a $200 auto-cli (from $500 to $700) on my roamans card this morning in a few weeks I should get more cli love on there cards, yes they are addicting, I have 6 of their cards could probably close two of them at least, but no AF's and they help with UTL and no one will tell me my file is thin.

 

Once you get in with Prime lenders you limits really do grow quickly. I'm sure once I garden for the next 6 months I will be getting cards that start over $7500 CL's. Just remember when you reach prime lenders approvals aren't as easy they will deny you if have too many INQ's the subprime lenders usually approve even if you have gotten 2-3 cards in the last 6 months but with prime cards its one-two cards max at least untill your AAoA is over a couple years.


Holy cow...lol    Ok ....I have read references to the cart trick...can you explain that please.... Also you said something about AF's...what is that?

Current as of 7/10/17 EQ 598 TU 611 EX 629
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 10 of 15