Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver lining for Forward holders

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Silver lining for Forward holders

I know that in light of Citi's nerfing of the beloved 5X categories some of us may be rushing to PC our cards pnce they let us to maybe the Double cash or *gasp!* the Thank you Preferred. As I was perusing the terms of the benefits, I noticed there was one other benefit the Forward has that is staying: the 100 bonus points per month. We will still get 100 points every month that we stay under the limit and make our payment on time, the caveat is there must be a minimum payment due, which is why I haven't been getting it. Also, "books" is still a category that is not included on the TYP. So if you have a small recurring charge you can put on autopay to generate a statement balance, and put all your Amazon spend on it, it may still have some value in your wallet. Also, if you go to the movies a lot it has value there too! Just food for thought 

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Silver lining for Forward holders

@icyhot wrote:

I know that in light of Citi's nerfing of the beloved 5X categories some of us may be rushing to PC our cards pnce they let us to maybe the Double cash or *gasp!* the Thank you Preferred. As I was perusing the terms of the benefits, I noticed there was one other benefit the Forward has that is staying: the 100 bonus points per month. We will still get 100 points every month that we stay under the limit and make our payment on time, the caveat is there must be a minimum payment due, which is why I haven't been getting it. Also, "books" is still a category that is not included on the TYP. So if you have a small recurring charge you can put on autopay to generate a statement balance, and put all your Amazon spend on it, it may still have some value in your wallet. Also, if you go to the movies a lot it has value there too! Just food for thought 

Unless I'm missing something, it just seems to be becoming another "2% on a couple things" card, which there are many of. If you have the Prestige/Premier, you can make it more than 2%, but otherwise, no huge gain over many other cards.

The 100 point bonus is nice, and better than nothing, but it's still only 100 points (and it existed before, so it's not like it helps compensate for the nerf).

I would suspect that most people will go for a PC if they are allowed because the remaining Forward product seems like a pretty boring card, basically the same thing as a Thankyou Preferred. No, books aren't included on TYP, but again, now it's just 2x, which is not that big of a deal to most people. YMMV. I see what you're saying with the silver lining, but I think most people find the 2x underwhelming when you can get 2% on everything with other cards. When it was 5x, different story.

Message 2 of 24
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

So the TYP is not a favorable card 'round these parts huh?
TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 24
Sharingan
Established Contributor

That's not much consolation at all, sadly. As a Citi Forward cardholder myself, it will be thanks but no thanks for the devalued version. I find no value in 2x points for a few categories when 2% on everything from the Double Cash is available. Of course, this is when the TY Premier/Prestige is removed from the equation. 100 TY points is probably equivalent to what, maybe a dollar (probably less) for those who do not have a more lucrative means of expending TY points. I'd rather transfer my Forward's credit line to my DC, where it will be of much greater use to me.

In my case, it will definitely be time to let the Citi Forward go and move on. I am almost certain that the nerf is only the first in a sequence of events that will ultimately result in every Citi Forward becoming a Citi ThankYou Preferred. 

Message 4 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

@DoroLucky wrote:

The Preferred or Premier?  The former without the Premier/Prestige is just another pseudo cashback card with limited redemption options, unless you have a Mortgage/student loan payment which allows for a 1 cpp redemption.  The Premier is decent with 3X travel.  However, most rewards enthusiasts will have a dedicated hotel card which earns fare more than 3X TY tranferrable points; same with Airfare where most will have a dedicated Airline card

However, the Premier is my card of choice for hotels/airfare where I don't have (1) status, (2) their cobranded card, and (3) seldomly use.  

Message 5 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@DoroLucky wrote:

The Preferred or Premier?  The former without the Premier/Prestige is just another pseudo cashback card with limited redemption options, unless you have a Mortgage/student loan payment which allows for a 1 cpp redemption.  The Premier is decent with 3X travel.  However, most rewards enthusiasts will have a dedicated hotel card which earns fare more than 3X TY tranferrable points; same with Airfare where most will have a dedicated Airline card

However, the Premier is my card of choice for hotels/airfare where I don't have (1) status, (2) their cobranded card, and (3) seldomly use.  

I wasm't aware of this till recently, but you can also redeem (with just the forward) for travel at 1 cpp on th eCiti site.   This was useful for my daughter who has neither a mortgage nor loans, but had built up 25K TYP and needed to book a flight.    Not exciting or anything, but another redemption option that gets 1cpp.

Message 6 of 24
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@DoroLucky wrote:

Was talking about the Thank You Preferred.

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

@DoroLucky wrote:

Was talking about the Thank You Preferred.

While I can't speak for other MyFico'ers, I find the TY Preferred extremely underwhelming.  As a standalone card, for 2X Dining/Entertainment, mind as well just get a 2% no-fee cashback card and call it a day.  Why even bother with points redemptions, unless you can transfer them.

Aside from harvesting the TY bonus and keeping TY points current during the wait periods churning the Premier/Prestige, I see no compelling reason to have a TY Preferred.

Message 8 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I just don't see who the TY preferred is really supposed to be aimed at.

If you want a no fee card, go for a double cash, 2 percent everything.

If you're wanting the points for travel and can justify a fee, get a premier. Same basic 2x dining but also 3x travel.

Just don't see the purpose of TY Preferred existing, honestly.
Message 9 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
I just don't see who the TY preferred is really supposed to be aimed at.

If you want a no fee card, go for a double cash, 2 percent everything.

If you're wanting the points for travel and can justify a fee, get a premier. Same basic 2x dining but also 3x travel.

Just don't see the purpose of TY Preferred existing, honestly.

Only reasons:

1.  To use as a bridge to retain TY points during the 18 months for Premier/Prestige new bonus eligibility.

2.  For those who are loyal to the Citi brand.

3.  For those who aren't well informed.

4.  For those who can't qualify for a 2% cashback card.

But, yeah, like the Venture One, I really don't see why it exists, other than to use as a platform to keep TY points while waiting to churn the better TY line.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.