Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver lining for Forward holders

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Silver lining for Forward holders

@kdm31091 wrote:
I just don't see who the TY preferred is really supposed to be aimed at.

If you want a no fee card, go for a double cash, 2 percent everything.

If you're wanting the points for travel and can justify a fee, get a premier. Same basic 2x dining but also 3x travel.

Just don't see the purpose of TY Preferred existing, honestly.

Just me but I see the Forward and TYP being fazed out in the near future IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 24
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Well for me, I don't have any card that gets points on Amazon or movies (Disco categories notwithstanding) and the 100 points free points is better than nothing. I personally don't see it worth PCing to anything other than the DC, which I already have. The TY Preferred would be a downgrade IMO
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing the information.
Message 13 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

But again, what's the allure of 2x amazon, 2x movies, etc when your double cash is 2x on anything? Of course, we all like cards for different reasons, but some make little sense to me!
Message 14 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
But again, what's the allure of 2x amazon, 2x movies, etc when your double cash is 2x on anything? Of course, we all like cards for different reasons, but some make little sense to me!

When it comes to rewards, KDM and I are rarely on the same page.  But, this time, I couldn't agree with him more.  No fee 2% cashback cards are readily available.  Unless it's more, what's the point?  Seriously?

Message 15 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

When I first found this site, the TYP was 1x on everything, those points were hard to redeem for full value, and when I asked what people thought of it, a number said "Pretty good card".   At that stage there were 1.25 and 1.5 cards easily available (and the Fid Amex 2x although harder to get).  My take was that at least some people really don't do good research and decide that the card they happen to have is one of the best.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@DoroLucky wrote:

Was talking about the Thank You Preferred.

While I can't speak for other MyFico'ers, I find the TY Preferred extremely underwhelming.  As a standalone card, for 2X Dining/Entertainment, mind as well just get a 2% no-fee cashback card and call it a day.  Why even bother with points redemptions, unless you can transfer them.

Aside from harvesting the TY bonus and keeping TY points current during the wait periods churning the Premier/Prestige, I see no compelling reason to have a TY Preferred.

There was a witty myFICO poster from about a year ago who summed up Citi's true meaning behind the name "Thank You Preferred" rewards...

"We at Citi prefer to thank you rather than reward you."

As for the 2% debate, I couldn't agree more. I kind of mentally block out 2% categories when I'm analyzing a credit card's rewards. As long as I have my Double Cash, I'd still rather have a card that has one 5% category for something I would barely ever use than a card that has 100 different 2% categories that I would use frequently. Sometimes I even forget that my US Bank Cash+ has a 2% category as well, as 2% categories kind of go in one ear and out the other with me as I'm so used to using DC for purchases whose categories don't give me at least 3% back.

Message 17 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

When I first found this site, the TYP was 1x on everything, those points were hard to redeem for full value, and when I asked what people thought of it, a number said "Pretty good card".   At that stage there were 1.25 and 1.5 cards easily available (and the Fid Amex 2x although harder to get).  My take was that at least some people really don't do good research and decide that the card they happen to have is one of the best.

It's sometimes interesting to see the psychology behind all of it. People defend cards that are not the best "value" because they have had  them a long time, etc. I guess many get a sentimental type of attachement regardless of the actual value. That's all I can think of.

The Thank You Preferred is better than earning no rewards on your spend but that seems to be about it. So the nerfed Forward isn't much better. Yes, you get "2x amazon" but as stated, really, who cares? The 100 point bonus is a nice touch but more of a marketing thing than anything substantial. It's a dollar or less for most redemptions! It's nice that OP is trying to look on the bright side but if I had a Forward I'd be closing or PCing it at this point. Its time has come.

Message 18 of 24
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I barely see myself using it outside of Amazon and my sister being an AU and she's going to benefit greatly from 6 years of credit history once she turns 18, main reason I haven't closed it. Despite me being kind of annoyed with it for the past year or so it's still my oldest card and all the PCing options just don't do it for me.
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 19 of 24
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Only reasons:

1.  To use as a bridge to retain TY points during the 18 months for Premier/Prestige new bonus eligibility.

2.  For those who are loyal to the Citi brand.

3.  For those who aren't well informed.

4.  For those who can't qualify for a 2% cashback card.

But, yeah, like the Venture One, I really don't see why it exists, other than to use as a platform to keep TY points while waiting to churn the better TY line.

And this is me. Just got it a little over a week ago. And that's because I am not really informed on how the rewards work for me. I'm reading and paying attn now. Will PC as soon as I can for the DC. Huge THANKS! 

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.