Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplicity CLI -> Gardening until Costco/Amex/Citi Situation Details Available

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Simplicity CLI -> Gardening until Costco/Amex/Citi Situation Details Available

Applied for the Simplicty last week as they had 21 months at 0% promo. I currently have $9.5k showing as outstanding on 3 cards on my CRs. $1k on 0% store card offers which will be paid off before the offer expires this summer; another $1.5k in payments that are not reflected yet. Citi had only offered $4k as the initial limit on the card but I called in and requested $7k which took a HP but was worth it. The majority left is on a bank visa which is @ 24% any even making monster payments ment it was hard to get ahead on them. I did make sure to note that I was asking for a limit increase to do a BT and that the amount requested was below that would show on the CR and is below the limits I have on my other cards. 

This should help as I have additional payments to make lump sum payments to get the overall non 0% balance down and transfer about 4-5k to the simplicity. Both acts will help my utilization which has been noted on the FICO analysis as driving my score down to the mid to low 700s. 

Any other advice to help increase my score besides gardening?

I plan to lay low on credit products for 18 months with the only exception being the Costco situation and determining if I want to keep an Amex before they turn it off in April.  Now focusing on paying off the current debt and making on time payments for that time period. Store cards will show activity due to the payments and the only thing I have on the visa is my monthly Internet which will keep it active. Will probably use debit for everything else in the meantime with a few exceptions. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Simplicity CLI -> Gardening until Costco/Amex/Citi Situation Details Available

In lieu of doing a BT, request the money be direct deposited into your checking account and PIF your credit card that's charging you 24% interest. It will take less time usually it has a 24 hour turn around. You could also request SP CLIs on your current cards to help lower your utilization while you are paying down/off your balances. I think you have a solid plan. The only thing I would add is to ensure going forward that you do not charge more in a month than you can afford to PIF every month.

You may want to take some time to create a budget and think about your financial goals. See you in the garden!Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Simplicity CLI -> Gardening until Costco/Amex/Citi Situation Details Available

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

In lieu of doing a BT, request the money be direct deposited into your checking account and PIF your credit card that's charging you 24% interest. It will take less time usually it has a 24 hour turn around. You could also request SP CLIs on your current cards to help lower your utilization while you are paying down/off your balances. I think you have a solid plan. The only thing I would add is to ensure going forward that you do not charge more in a month than you can afford to PIF every month.

You may want to take some time to create a budget and think about your financial goals. See you in the garden!Smiley Happy

Excellent advice.  And, also set up a savings account with good interest (I have this with Alliant, separate from main checking at the moment).  Even if you only put 50 in a month, it adds up quickly.  An emergency fund helps when you charge too much.

Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The worst part is the majority of the debt is from years ago. The majority is from years ago and I'd pay more than the minimum but never the full amount or once it creeped up to the level it is now I'd pay enough to cover the current charges and a token amount to cover "old" balance and prioritized other things.  I'm tired of carrying it and the realization that I need to get rid of it ASAP. Once you get a large enough balance it's crazy how much interest 24% can rack up each month. I can completely understand how some could get over their heads w cc.  I guess I'm sort of lucky I preferred to see my bank accounts grow so I have some money I can throw at them now and use the 0% from chase wo having to use the full term to get everything paid down. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Excellent advice.  And, also set up a savings account with good interest (I have this with Alliant, separate from main checking at the moment).  Even if you only put 50 in a month, it adds up quickly.  An emergency fund helps when you charge too much.

I'm finding that I can get better rates w MM checking accounts than savings accounts. I do have a couple of those spread out among institutions which is where I'm pulling the lump sum I'm planning on doing in conjunction w the BT. It seems like psychologically I valued money in the bank over paying down the cc as long as the cc didn't make large jumps in the balance - credit could dry up regardless of what I do but cash will be there type of thing. I guess I just reached by breaking point with that mentality but doing a hybrid approach so I don't  too uncomfortable with the switch - transfer part of it to the 0% and continue to make $x00 in payments to have that balance paid off in 6-18 months but take a lump sum out of savings to help pay the remainder. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Thanks!Smiley Happy Every now and then I get it right.Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The worst part is the majority of the debt is from years ago. The majority is from years ago and I'd pay more than the minimum but never the full amount or once it creeped up to the level it is now I'd pay enough to cover the current charges and a token amount to cover "old" balance and prioritized other things.  I'm tired of carrying it and the realization that I need to get rid of it ASAP. Once you get a large enough balance it's crazy how much interest 24% can rack up each month. I can completely understand how some could get over their heads w cc.  I guess I'm sort of lucky I preferred to see my bank accounts grow so I have some money I can throw at them now and use the 0% from chase wo having to use the full term to get everything paid down. 

I don't have the calculations but you have been doing yourself a disservice because you've been paying 24% interest a month on a large credit card balance. I'm sure someone will chime in with actual values. The money you've been saving would have been better spent paying down your credit card balance. Maybe not all, but some of it at least should have been applied to your debt. It may be in your best interest to curtail your spending and use that money to pay down your balance. It's great that you will be utilizing a 0% BT offer, but I feel you may have been living beyond your means especially since you say this is old debt. I don't know if you were earning rewards and that's why you continued to use your credit card. However, the interest you were being charged canceled out any rewards you may have earned. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have the calculations but you have been doing yourself a disservice because you've been paying 24% interest a month on a large credit card balance. I'm sure someone will chime in with actual values. The money you've been saving would have been better spent paying down your credit card balance. Maybe not all, but some of it at least should have been applied to your debt. It may be in your best interest to curtail your spending and use that money to pay down your balance. It's great that you will be utilizing a 0% BT offer, but I feel you may have been living beyond your means especially since you say this is old debt. I don't know if you were earning rewards and that's why you continued to use your credit card. However, the interest you were being charged canceled out any rewards you may have earned. 

I can fully understand your position. The majority of the debt came from years ago due to two main actions - 2008/2009 economy where I switched jobs and took a temp pay cut for one year but had a guaranteed raise at 1-4 years to leave a company (and year 1 raise would put me back at my then current salary) that was going through a $12B cost reduction during that time and using the cc as a stop gap for making sure monthly payments were made on my reoccurring bills when switching banks a few years after that. I made the mistake of not using the money I had in the bank to pay off the balances earlier; I prioritizing growing one balance over shrinking another. I was paying between 140-170 a month in interest  and still using it for regular spend so any "serious" monthly payments of $500-1000 weren't doing anything to the overall balance. Hence the lump sum of a few $k to get the balance down, transfer to the 0% so those $500+ payments actually do something, & using debit/cash only until that is resolved and I can reasses what categories my regular monthly spend falls in and determine what the best tool would be going forward. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.