Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplicity/Diamond Preferred

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Simplicity/Diamond Preferred

I know the Simplicity has the no fees ever but besides that these two cards look almost the same. Is that correct?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Simplicity/Diamond Preferred

@Anonymous wrote:
I know the Simplicity has the no fees ever but besides that these two cards look almost the same. Is that correct?

I app'ed for the Diamond Preferred last week (still waiting on the answer) but the reason I chose it over Simplicity is the APR range was slightly lower (I think the difference was 1%). 

Other than that the DP offers a 'concierge' service that the Simplicity doesn't have... honestly I couldn't find anything else meaningful that was different.

I'm sure some of the Citi folks will chime in soon and let us know what we're missing (as they say, "the devil's in the details").  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I app'ed for the Diamond Preferred last week (still waiting on the answer) but the reason I chose it over Simplicity is the APR range was slightly lower (I think the difference was 1%). 

Other than that the DP offers a 'concierge' service that the Simplicity doesn't have... honestly I couldn't find anything else meaningful that was different.

I'm sure some of the Citi folks will chime in soon and let us know what we're missing (as they say, "the devil's in the details").  Smiley Wink

Long time lurker and myFICO subscriber here...

As for the Citi DP card, I opened an account (0% APR for 15 months), maxed out the card and made minimum payments for ten months before making $500.00 payments for two months (bringing me to my one-year payment history with them).

The result? An automatic CLI in an amount that was larger than the total payments I had made to them to date!

Now, here's the caveat:I phoned Citi in advance of my purchase (emergency situation) and explained exactly what I was charging (and why) and detailed how I would repay the debt... I did exactly as I had promised (see above) and was given a 35% increase (at 45% utilization).

In the end, I do believe that my phone call to Citi explaining my circumstances in advance of my purchase - and making payments as promised - saved me from AA.

Maybe there's a datapoint in this somewhere...

Message 3 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The other notable difference is that while Citi is willing to let you PC the Diamond Preferred card down the road, the Simplicity absolutely cannot be PCd (due to its "no late fee ever" structure, etc) so that's a consideration. If you get Simplicity you are stuck with it. Diamond Preferred can be changed later.

Message 4 of 7
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Long time lurker and myFICO subscriber here...

As for the Citi DP card, I opened an account (0% APR for 15 months), maxed out the card and made minimum payments for ten months before making $500.00 payments for two months (bringing me to my one-year payment history with them).

The result? An automatic CLI in an amount that was larger than the total payments I had made to them to date!

Now, here's the caveat:I phoned Citi in advance of my purchase (emergency situation) and explained exactly what I was charging (and why) and detailed how I would repay the debt... I did exactly as I had promised (see above) and was given a 35% increase (at 45% utilization).

In the end, I do believe that my phone call to Citi explaining my circumstances in advance of my purchase - and making payments as promised - saved me from AA.

Maybe there's a datapoint in this somewhere...

Didn't necessarily saved you from AA.... Could of done it anyways if the Red flag popped up. Ive had a CC showed as maxed out once and all it did was bring down my score from 700 at the time to 650. Had a $750 limit and was my only card  at the time...

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Duly noted.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

The other notable difference is that while Citi is willing to let you PC the Diamond Preferred card down the road, the Simplicity absolutely cannot be PCd (due to its "no late fee ever" structure, etc) so that's a consideration. If you get Simplicity you are stuck with it. Diamond Preferred can be changed later.

That's a really good point I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks. DH may be in the market for a BT card in a month or so. He gets a barrage of Citi offers in the mail, so we may use one.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.