Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplicity vs Thank you preferred.

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Simplicity vs Thank you preferred.

As some of you know, DW is being bombarded with invitations to apply for various Citi cards.

For a variety of reasons, I'm making her wait until 01 June to apply.  Both Simplicity and Thank You Preferred are offering 18 months Zero percent on BT's which is our primary goal.

Is one or the other of the cards "better" than the other?

Easier/harder to get?

Do you think that she can get BOTH of them?

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Simplicity vs Thank you preferred.

If you spend on groceries/drug stores/gas, you should get the version of TYP that has 5% off those things for 12 months.

Otherwise it comes down to length of good APR time, whether you want a 1% reward with TYP, and the TYP is a NPSL card.

Message 2 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

Citi has a one app per 30 or 60 day policy now. The thank you preferred is harder to get from what I know.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 9
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Thank you!

Message 4 of 9
Radek7752
Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

As some of you know, DW is being bombarded with invitations to apply for various Citi cards.

For a variety of reasons, I'm making her wait until 01 June to apply.  Both Simplicity and Thank You Preferred are offering 18 months Zero percent on BT's which is our primary goal.

Is one or the other of the cards "better" than the other?

Easier/harder to get?

Do you think that she can get BOTH of them?

I have both of them and I would say that the ThankYou Preferred has stricter underwriting. As for which is better? At the end of the day neither is really a top rewards card (unless you get the 5% on certain categories offer for the TYP) and both are vastly eclipsed by more popular cash back/travel rewards cards. Citi offers watered down, convoluted "rewards" on the Simplicity that I pay 0 attention to and I can't even find it on my page anymore. I keep the TYP because I like it for some strange reason and I keep the Simplicity because I frequently get 0% balance transfer offers, even after the intro rate. I think the ThankYou Premier is better, although it has the fee.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 5 of 9
bs6054
Valued Contributor

The 5% TYP is very useful if you charge a lot (or manufacture spend) in those everyday categories,  just for 12 months of course, but unlimited in those 12 months.  Otherwise, the TYP is just a 1% NPSL card, except for its ability to make TYP from lower level cards more valuable at redemption.   I really don't see the value of the normal TYP without a forward, except for the $150 bonus.

Message 6 of 9
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Hmmm.  None of the offers that she has received mention a $150 sign up bonus.

Both cards are offering 0% for 18 months, so if the Simplicity is "easier" to get, I'll think that we'll go that route.

Message 7 of 9
bs6054
Valued Contributor

This is the current standard offer:

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-thankyou-preferred-card/

15K points after you spend $1000 in first 3 months.

Message 8 of 9
lanc
Regular Contributor

It looks like there is a targetted offer for 18months w/o a signup bonus or 12 months no apr bt with a 150$ bonus

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.