cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since when did Chase adopt the "No bankruptcy at all" policy of CitiBank?

tag
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

Since when did Chase adopt the "No bankruptcy at all" policy of CitiBank?

Applied for Chase Freedom from an offer.  Got a review notification which normally means they pulled Experian - the only bureau that's frozen.  Figured they'd give up.

Got a letter today that says that they ended up pulling Transunion, and the only denial reason is that the bankruptcy is showing.  No score, nothing.  Bankruptcy is 7 years old, discharged 4 years ago, no accounts still showing that were included, no other negatives.

I was under the impression that Citibank was the only bank that was BK-petty.  When did Chase change their tune?

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Since when did Chase adopt the "No bankruptcy at all" policy of CitiBank?

Chase has provided this statement  in its credit applications for more than 10 years.

The information you provide in this Chase credit application will be sent directly to Chase to determine your eligibility for the Card. Read the Chase Privacy Policy and learn how Chase is working to keep your information secure.

• Before continuing to fill out your application, please confirm the following statements:
 Yes, my credit history is clear of bankruptcy.
 Yes, my credit history is currently clear of seriously delinquent accounts & charge offs.
Message 2 of 7
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

@DI wrote:

Chase has provided this statement  in its credit applications for more than 10 years.

The information you provide in this Chase credit application will be sent directly to Chase to determine your eligibility for the Card. Read the Chase Privacy Policy and learn how Chase is working to keep your information secure.

• Before continuing to fill out your application, please confirm the following statements:
 Yes, my credit history is clear of bankruptcy.
 Yes, my credit history is currently clear of seriously delinquent accounts & charge offs.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Recon-After-BK/m-p/241087/highlight/true#M81459

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Freedom/m-p/103444/highlight/true#M25147

People HAVE gotten the card with a bankruptcy within the past 3-4 years.  I also notice this:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-no-longer-BK-friendly-AT-ALL/m-p/617867/highlight...

From 2010 where he was declined for the BK.  So something changed.  I'm asking when it changed, because I'm fairly certain quite a few have gotten cards with a BK showing.

Also, as a side note, GE Money Bank has the exact same statement in their apps, and I've had four credit cards with them, all after the BK, two that I still have and use without an issue.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I've found the advice of the forum members at Fico forums to be generally reliable, I also remember where at least one moderator warned that we only hear one side of the story here as far as facts are concerned.  I might claim that Chase does not do a hard pull when I ask for a CLI but that doesn't mean it is true in all cases just because it is my experience (and I may not have acurately described my circumstances.)  Nor does it make Chase a terrible bank if they act contrary to what I read here.

Just my opnion though.

Message 4 of 7
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Not only BK...CITI doesn't like CO either. I have one medical CO from 2005 and it still haunts me. Tried to apped for a CITI card L3 yrs and was declined all 3. They did however give me a Shell Card in 2008. I PIF every month, never ask for a CLI since day 1, yet they still won't give me a CITI card. They can shove it...haha. I am done with them. Chase & Priceline are my 2 best friends right now. I have a nice CL from both.

Message 5 of 7
lakerfan2011
Regular Contributor

yeah i have the united visa now got approved in december had to wait for my bk to fall off in november appled 3 times before that and would not get approved until the bk fell off know i have a 10000 line on a singnature card so as soon as the bk falls off you will have the card.

Message 6 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

While I've found the advice of the forum members at Fico forums to be generally reliable, I also remember where at least one moderator warned that we only hear one side of the story here as far as facts are concerned.  I might claim that Chase does not do a hard pull when I ask for a CLI but that doesn't mean it is true in all cases just because it is my experience (and I may not have acurately described my circumstances.)  Nor does it make Chase a terrible bank if they act contrary to what I read here.

Just my opnion though.

i totally agree with this.  a lot of people try & state things as facts, & that's just not the case, like in your example.  i really wish that would not happen.  this really happens a lot with the "who pulls what bureau" type of threads.  i gave up posting on those for the most part.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.