cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since when moving credit lines needs a HP?

tag
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Since when moving credit lines needs a HP?

I have two cards with Bank of America - called and asked to move the credit line ( $2500) from my Travel Rewards Card to the Cash Rewards Card ( for a total of $5500). They submitted a request.

The next day - I saw a HP on my EX report by BoA. I called them and they said that even moving credit lines between cards requires a HP .. even though that was never disclosed to me during the call!

It's weird .. I have five Chase cards and moving credit lines is like a charm with them .. no questions asked!

Which law requires a HP for credit transfer? They kept saying the credit fair act requires that!

Current Cards:
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: Since when moving credit lines needs a HP?

Yep, BoA definitely wants a HP for reallocation.

Message 2 of 21
Creditcurious74
Frequent Contributor

I'd call customer service and request to hear the phone call conversation, they had to advise you before hand. Hope you get the HP remove. That's crazy!

Message 3 of 21
Involver
Valued Contributor

@Zelaya wrote:

I'd call customer service and request to hear the phone call conversation, they had to advise you before hand. Hope you get the HP remove. That's crazy!

They don't have to advise you beforehand.  They have permissable purpose.

It's the same thing as a collection agency HPing any of your reports.

They don't call and ask first.

Message 4 of 21
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

@Zelaya wrote:

They did not. I was 100% sure.

My understanding is that when you ask for CLI , the rep should tell you that it will result in a HP.  There's no law that requires that for CL transfer!

I cancelled my request and they submitted a request to change that HP to s SP. I also closed the other travel card since I wasn't using it!

Current Cards:
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Involver wrote:

@Zelaya wrote:

They don't have to advise you beforehand.  They have permissable purpose.

It's the same thing as a collection agency HPing any of your reports.

They don't call and ask first.

CA can HP your report? That doesn't sound permissible. You didn't request to be their customer. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 21
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

CA can and will definitely hard pull your report.

Different banks have different criteria for reallocating limits. BoA will always HP if you're the one requesting it.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:
CA can and will definitely hard pull your report.

Different banks have different criteria for reallocating limits. BoA will always HP if you're the one requesting it.

Never had this experience.

My work HP me on all 3 when I started there years ago (Tribal Government)

Besides that, I've never had an HP for anything other than Auto Loan or CC's. Utilities are co-op here.

Message 8 of 21
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Not all CA will hard pull, but it's been widely reported they will prior to taking legal action.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection agencies have a permissible purpose to pull your credit without your consent. Consent is not required for a hard pull under the FCRA. A permissible purpose can be obtained by consent, but other reasons such as reviewing a collection account is sufficient to pull your credit. Not all CAs will hard pull, but they can if they want to. At least that is my understanding. 

If you look at 15 U.S.C. Secttion 1681b(a)(3)(A) it states that a permissible purpose includes when one "intends to use the information in connection with a credit transaction involving the consumer on whom the information is to be furnished and involving the extension of credit to, or review or collection of an account of, the consumer." 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.