Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single largest AMEX purchase.

tag
drmceo
Contributor

Single largest AMEX purchase.

I know the question has been asked before because I looked, but the post were old. I am considering a large purchase on my amex which has a 25 limit but I have only had it since may and barely used it and currently have a 0 balance.  I want to know for those with experience with AMEX.

What was the biggest purchase?

Did you hit the check spending power button?

What was your Cl?

How long you had the card when they made the purchase?

What was your previous spending pattern?

It would be horrible to whip out my Gold Delta skymiles Amex and get declined. 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Single largest AMEX purchase.

Last August I used my Amex Platinum to pay over $2700 in tuition.  I got charged a  nominal fee, but by doing that I was able to meet my spend in order to get the 40K MR points which I turned around and used for statement credit, so I didn't have to pay the whole $2700 back.  I used the check spend limit to see if the transaction would go through.  I also called and spoke to a CSR to make sure the tuition would contact towards my points.  I generally spend about $750 a month and as it is a charge card I pay in full.  I've had the card since June.

Message 2 of 28
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

$5000 on a car downpayment on PRG. Didn't check spend power before. At the time I was putting about $1500 a month on it. Had no problem. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 3 of 28
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

$4000 on catering. I think I had a 25k limit at the time. Did not check spend. Went through without a hitch. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I think it was $4k for flights.

My father bought two Lexus cars on his AmEx, but then again he puts tons through that card on a regular basis.
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the upcoming Spring semester I put $3200 on it for tuition and books until my student loans are distributed. I did not check the spending power limit and have only had the card for two months. My CL is $9,700 and before this charge I never cracked $500 on it. It processed fine without any issues.

Message 6 of 28
happypill
Valued Contributor

Back when I ran my own business (about a decade ago), I used an Amex platinum for business expenses, the largest of which was shipping via Fedex.  The Fedex bill for December that year was about $70k and it went through without issue.  I had the card for about a year and a half at that time and charges averaged 20-30k per month.  Of course, it was PIF each month with the charge card.

A few months later they made me very angry when they hit me with a FR and froze the account for a $20k charge.  I spoke with the rep and reminded them that I had charged and paid about $90k just a couple months prior (the $70k Fedex bill plus $20k in other expenses), but they were not swayed.  Obviously, this is hugely disruptive and even though they released the account after their review, I have no interest in working with them again.

Message 7 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

@drmceo wrote:

I know the question has been asked before because I looked, but the post were old. I am considering a large purchase on my amex which has a 25 limit but I have only had it since may and barely used it and currently have a 0 balance.  I want to know for those with experience with AMEX.

What was the biggest purchase?

Did you hit the check spending power button?

What was your Cl?

How long you had the card when they made the purchase?

What was your previous spending pattern?

It would be horrible to whip out my Gold Delta skymiles Amex and get declined. 

If you have a card you barely used and all of a sudden are going to make a massive purchase maybe you should call in to let them know. I can see amex totally freaking out about this. If you always spend a lot on your card then its fine, but a new card with minimal use is going to make amex wonder what the hell is going on and they will think your card may have been stolen or something crazy happened. Bottom line is amex will let you charge whatever amount you need assuming your income and history with amex supports it. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 28
drmceo
Contributor

I am going to click the spending power button for sure first to see the amount it says.

Message 9 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

@drmceo wrote:

I am going to click the spending power button for sure first to see the amount it says.

How far over the limit are you trying to go?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.