Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single largest AMEX purchase.

tag
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: Single largest AMEX purchase.

@drmceo wrote:

I am going to click the spending power button for sure first to see the amount it says.

Just call before you make the purchase (like while waiting on line ...minutes before) . Amex will stop a charge that's outside your spending habits.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 11 of 28
drmceo
Contributor

I have a 25k limit and not trying to go over at all, I am really wondering if I can charge 20k or 15k with no issues.

Message 12 of 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@drmceo wrote:

I have a 25k limit and not trying to go over at all, I am really wondering if I can charge 20k or 15k with no issues.

Just a note; Pooka89 (Amex employee) shared in another thread that when you use the 'spending ability' button their computers run a pre-auth, so they are actually expecting you to make a charge in a similar amount.  It was advised not to 'play' with the button.  Smiley Wink

On the plus side, Pooka has also stated that the 'spending ability' button is another way to let their computers know a charge of 'xx' amount is to be expected, so that if it is out of your pattern they won't be as likely to think it's fraud.

Message 13 of 28
blondy250
Established Contributor

If the purchase you make is extremely outside your spending habit especially if it's a single purchase, it may be a problem. To me it's not worth the hassle/embarrassment of a rejected charge when the phone call can take a minute, IMHO.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 14 of 28
driftless
Valued Contributor

My PRG is newish, I have been running $2,500 - 4,000.00/month. I just paid for a $1,100.00 dinner party to thank my volunteers who help feed and shelter the homeless. The largest purchase is about $1,500.00. When I was playing with the "spending ability button", cough, cough UncleB  Smiley Wink, I was getting decent approval amounts but not as high as my revolvers which is expected given that the PRG is a charger. I am guessing that the harder that you use the card, the more Amex will allow you to charge. I am not afraid to use this card for any amount that I am reasonably likely to charge. YMMV.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 15 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

@driftless wrote:

My PRG is newish, I have been running $2,500 - 4,000.00/month. I just paid for a $1,100.00 dinner party to thank my volunteers who help feed and shelter the homeless. The largest purchase is about $1,500.00. When I was playing with the "spending ability button", cough, cough UncleB  Smiley Wink, I was getting decent approval amounts but not as high as my revolvers which is expected given that the PRG is a charger. I am guessing that the harder that you use the card, the more Amex will allow you to charge. I am not afraid to use this card for any amount that I am reasonably likely to charge. YMMV.

Yes, your internal limit on the charge card will change based on your charge history. If you always charge large amounts then they are more willing let you to charge large amounts because they see a pattern. If you always charge very small amounts then they may be caught off guard by a larger charge. Doesn't mean they will doubt your ability to pay but they will wonder why the sudden change in behavior. Amex likes consistency so that they can predict what their customers will do. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 16 of 28
red259
Super Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

If the purchase you make is extremely outside your spending habit especially if it's a single purchase, it may be a problem. To me it's not worth the hassle/embarrassment of a rejected charge when the phone call can take a minute, IMHO.

+1 To me this makes the most sense. A quick phone call to let them know and then there will not be any problems. Soo much better than risking a rejection or fraud alert. Just don't start carrying the balance at that point because then they may thing you have financial problems. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 28
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

22K earlier this year at a resort for friend's wedding and 16K 10 mins ago, again for the same friend. All this on Platinum. Never checked Spending power beforehand.

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ibmrad7 wrote:

22K earlier this year at a resort for friend's wedding and 16K 10 mins ago, again for the same friend. All this on Platinum. Never checked Spending power beforehand.

Would you like to become my friend? Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 28
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Would you like to become my friend? Smiley Very Happy

I am already your friend. He paid me back :-)

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.