cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Six months with First Progress Secured Card..what next?

tag
thesecondtimearound
Valued Member

Six months with First Progress Secured Card..what next?

Hello!

I signed up for my first credit card in 10/2013 and have been paying on it regularly since. It's a $500 secured credit card from first progress and is in good standing. In 2016, I plan on beginning the first steps to acquiring a mortgage. I want to get another card soon...should it be another secured one? I'm afraid to apply for a traditional one only to get turned down and have a hard hit on my credit.

The only current accounts on my CR is First Progress Card and my student loan from AES. I was 30 days late in the spring of 2009 and it's still on my credit. Unfortunately, I have three separate accounts with them, so that late payment shows up THREE TIMES! I'm not sure how heavily it's weighted.

I also have four collections: one that will fall off next summer, another that will fall off the summer after that, one that has been paid and is showing a $0 balance, and another one for $45 that will fall off in 2018. Ouch!

So...with all off these circumstances, what you recommend as my next course of action? Thanks for the help!

BTW: My score from MyFICO.com is showing a 662 as of today.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
thelastoneonearth
Contributor

Re: Six months with First Progress Secured Card..what next?

Well any card you apply for may have a hard pull on your credit. I suggest Capital One cards, or GE backed cards. GE starts with low CL's sometimes, but they are generous in CLI's. Avoid cards like First Premier though.

Capital One Secured Platinum $750.00, Amazon Store Card $500.00, AEO Visa $4000.00, PlayStation Credit Card $500.00, My BestBuy Platinum MasterCard $1000.00 Amazon Chase $500.00 Discover IT $1500. Chase Disney Premier Visa $5000. Barclays Carnival Cruise MasterCard $500 Bank of America Norwegian Visa Signature $1500 "Apple Card" $1700 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5,000

My future card list:
Amex BCE
Citi Hilton Honors
AAOA 1.2years
Message 2 of 6
TravisT45
Valued Member

I'd go Cap 1 Quicksilver One , theyll approve you and give you CLIs if you pay them good

Message 3 of 6
TravisT45
Valued Member

Or Barclays Rewards theyll probably approve you as well

Message 4 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

check pre-qual for capital one, barclay, and discover.

Message 5 of 6
thesecondtimearound
Valued Member

cool! thanks for the all feedback! one more quick question:

which is more beneficial, adding another $1k to my secured card or applying for an unsecured one?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.