Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sneaky Bank of America Balance Transfers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sneaky Bank of America Balance Transfers

Bank of America has been hammering me in snail-mail lately with their "Zeros" BankAmericard offer, where they offer 0% intro APR for 18 monts, $0 annual fee, etc;  Each time I get an offer, I think, "Wow...every month they send this. Their desperation is showing. What gimmick are they running? At least they are not bad as Chase, who has been sending me their Atrociously Deceptive Balance Transfer Checks, for years on end." 

Then, today, I decided to read the fine print of the BankAmerica card offer, and discovered that BoA is not as honest as I thought they were. They are not as bad as Chase, but they are still very sneaky. If you read the fine print, it says in one section:

If you revolve your blanace to take advantage of a promotional or introductory offer, all transactions and balances, including purchases, will be charged interest.

But if you read their standard DISCLOSURE SUMMARY, it says in the How to Avoid Paying Interest on Purchases section:

Your due date is at least 25 days after the close of each billing cycle. We will not charge you any interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month.

For those of us who pay our full statement balance every month, to avoid paying interest, these two stipulations appear to be mutually contradictory, until we examine, more closely, the last stipulation. The key is the phrase entire balance. This is not the same as the statement balance. Paying the statement balance is normally perfectly fine to avoid paying interest, and that is what all of us are doing when we put our accounts on auto-pay PIF.

And here we see the gimmick that BofA is running. It is the same Jedi-mind-trick that Chase is running, just not quite as bad.

These banks know that many of us are on auto-pay, letting us PIF each month. We have been conditioned that if we set-up auto-pay to pay the full statement balance every month, then we will not pay interest. But PIF on statement balance is NOT the same as PIF on entire balance.

What BofA did, which is quite sneaky, is tell the truth so that they cannot get sued. What they are hoping you will do is get the card, immediately use the balance transfer feature, leave it there, even a few bucks for 18 months, then use the card for purchases, etc, setting up auto-pay, then, at the end of 18 months, continue using their card as you normally would, letting your auto-pay PIF against the statment balance every month.

IF YOU DO THATYOU COULD GET SLAMMED ON INTEREST!!!!! LOL. People with my spending habits could pay several $100 per year interest with this gimmick, even while think we are interest-free because we have PIF-auto-pay set-up.

You will be caught in an interest vortex, where you might never get out of it, until you go eyeball your total balance, and do a force-to-zero against that total balance. Your auto-pay will, in general, not clear the total balance to zero, if you use the card every month to pay, say, an electric bill plus a few other items that you spread throughout the month. What's happening is that BoA will see that you paid all, except, say $45 of you bill (because the $45 was for dinner with wife after you PIF'ed on auto-pay). Then, you run-up, up to another, say, $1000 over a month. BoA's computers will come around on your auto-pay date, take, say, $917 of that as your statement ballance, and let the $83 dangle. That $83 is a number that is not $0. So you will pay interest immediately on any subsequent transactions that you make.

If you are mathematically-inclined, you can see that, if you have average monthly balance of $1000, then, at 17% APR, you will pay $170 in interest over year, even though you think you are on auto-pay PIF. This will go on indefinitely, until you force-stop it, manually.

I realize that some people might not understand this post and what the gimmick is. If you are such a person, my advice to you is simple: Stay away. You can get yourself into a lot of trouble by not understanding what these banks are up to.

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
bz386
Frequent Contributor

Re: Sneaky Bank of America Balance Transfers

Every single credit card works like that.

Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Capital One do this too?

Though I have soured on both Chase and BoA for running this gimmick, at least Chase sorta-kinda makes and effort to warn you that you are about to do something that is bad for you. Or at least, they pretend that they are trying to warn you. Their warning is not really a warning. It is more for covering their derriere, IMO.

Having spoken to Chase numerous times about these checks, both over the phone, and in person, I can assure you of two things:

1. Many, many customers are getting duped.
  2. The wording of their disclosure, the confusing nature of it, is entirely deliberate. They know exactly what they are doing.

I went in to a Chase branch to admonish my banker about the checks, and before I could get a word out, he points to the checks in my hand and said:

Stay away from those. I call those "get-into-trouble checks".

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me ask this:

Say you have a $0 balance, then use 2 checks totaling $4,000. You charge $600 in additional purchases over a few months but at the 6 month mark you pay the entire balance in full down to $0 owed.

If you make new purchases after that point are you still stuck getting nail on interest or...? I'd assume you're free and the chains are broken.
Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'd be off-the-hook. I talked to Chase extensively about this, and deduced that, once you trigger this scheme, the only way to break-free is to make their computer register $0 on your account balance, which the CSR agreed with.

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean it seems fair enough, to me if I were doing that I would keep just the balance used by the checks on the card.

The only thing I really don't like is the 3-5% fee to use the check Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying you would simply keep a balance on account from checks until the 18-month interest-free period expired?

Message 7 of 34
negg
Frequent Contributor

This is why I have one card that's used for BT and nothing else. Honestly I've had the card since 2013 and have made one pos charge. It's buried so deep in the sock drawer, so deep.  

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would not pay $170 in interest. Credit cards charge based on a effective periodic daily rate.... your calculations are far off. It is not deceptive as it is clearly spelled out in the terms and condition of the application

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You would not pay $170 in interest. Credit cards charge based on a effective periodic daily rate.... your calculations are far off. It is not deceptive as it is clearly spelled out in the terms and condition of the application

A person who has an average daily-balance that is $1000 over the course of a year, with an active APR of 17%, will pay $170 in interest over the course of the year. And it is not clearly spelled-out. I got a Chase representative by the ears, so-to-speak, to admit as much. Chase is aware that the terms are confusing. They want it that way for obvious reasons.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.