cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, AA happened... Amex is terrible...

tag
onstar
Established Contributor

Re: So, AA happened... Amex is terrible...

Geez, a few critical comments and people getting all sensitive. What is this, grade school?

Due to this thread, I have more respect for Amex. They are taking appropriate actions. I went on a huge app spree this year (17 new TLs in the past 3 months), and I finally got 2 apps declined in a row (Chase Freedom & Amex Costco). The feeling sucked, but I realize that I've hit that "limit" and that I'm a "risk" for additional TLs. In hindsight, I'm glad that my apps were rejected as that tells me the system is working. Heck, I may even face a FR/AA soon, and if it does, I will respectfully accept the results.

Anyway, just like CLIs happen, CLDs happen. 98.6% of the time, they are warranted.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 61 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious, OP, how did your scores have almost a 100pt increase on each of the three bureaus, in only 90 days? I would love to have that kind of rapid increase myself!

I don't know as much as some here, but I would say at 22 years old, you have some pretty decent accounts with generous limits. And this probably won't mean much to you, and not to sound like an old man (cuz I'm not), but I bet with your habits your score will be PRISTINE SOON.

Message 62 of 93
kdm31091
Super Contributor

OP, I don't think anyone was lecturing you. Try to just step back, take the advice for what it is, and move on. You have to decide whichever choices are right for you.

Since you are pretty much dead set on your viewpoint and what you will do, I think the thread has probably run its course.

Message 63 of 93
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I suppose I should have included in my orginial post that I don't need anyone's sass regarding this matter. I'm not entirely sure why I'm getting a bunch of butthurt posters on this thread. My irritation is completely warranted. An AA was arbitrary based on my HIGH spend with AMEX, my meticulously grooming the accounts, my having rapport with the lender, and having credit scores in the mid to high 700s at age 22! I assumed I could hop on these forums for a little support and vent without getting a backlash of snark.

Also, it's not as if I've been the only one to suffer an AA from American Express, specifically. It seems it's becoming a trend for AMEX to do so. And, you know what. It seems to be directly correlated to USAGE. They didn't lower my ED a smidge. But, they did lower my BCE. And, that's the card I hardly used. So...

Regarding the account closure, I didn't "fly off the handle". I was already thinking about closing this account, anyway. It was only a matter of time. This was just feul for that fire. And, I'm not "talking bad" about a lender, based solely on my poor wittle limt being lowered on a card I didn't use. I've had, literally, the worst customer service experiences with them in the past 4, or so, months. They have convoluted terms regarding PC, limit reallocation, etc... And, now this. Amex is falling short. Not entirely sure how I'm "hurting myself" by closing a 1k account that 1) Didn't use and 2) Didn't particulary care for; especially, with all the other prime cards I've gotten that I actually WANTED and currently USE and are at a limit I'm more than happy with and 3) Didn't want to expend the extra energy to work the account up, again. Seems arbitrary. It's the principle of this whole thing, solely.

Additionally, they DID want me to keep the account. And, they were extremely concerned that I decided to drop a product with them. I was on the phone with 4 different reps and 2 different departments for about an hour and a half, having to listen to their attempts to maintain the business with them. Then I got numerous phone calls today.  I was even offered by a senior underwriter to have my limit raised back up to 6k, temporarily, until he could look into it further!!  I spoke with a manager after my initial conversation with the other gentleman who had told me the reasons, and he said verbatim "This seems very odd. You've been an excellent customer, and I see no reason for this at this point in time. Your scores are good. Your account activity is in shape. We don't typically encourage multiple inquiries in a sixth month period. But, we don't necessarily proceed with this kind of action unless something has seriously gone wrong with your report..." etc... And, nothing has gone seriously wrong with my report. I just have a bunch of nice, shiny new cards.

And, let's be the devil's advocate for just a second... This is my first app spree EVER. I decided to prolong it, apply for what I WANTED, and get the accounts I WANTED. And, at some point, this kind of a fluffy portfolio will do me some good. How many app sprees are really necessary? And, how many of them are that strategic or modest? Come on. Give me a break. I really don't need all the lectures regarding achieving the new accounts or the inquiries and so fourth. Clearly, I'm doing something right, or I wouldn't have succeeded in getting them in the first place. And, I've fully acknowledged that it's time to call it quits, and just hangout for a while. Not sure why I'm getting the broken record. Man... I feel like I'm on trial. Yes, I do in fact feel GREAT about opening up 9** new accounts in 3 months. Who wouldn't? Got excellent limits. Got in with some prime lenders. Gonna get all sortsa great singup bonuses. Feels good, pa. And, now I sit on my portfolio, and ride easy for a while. SImple. It's to my discretion how I build my credit. I've chosen to do it aggressively, as have a lot of my fellow FICO forum goers. And, I'm not sitting around and judging anybody. In fact, I really enjoy getting on here and reading about people's successes; big and small. And, I enjoy being supportive and encouraging, when things get rough or fail.

"Deal with the consequences like a grown up"... I mean, really? Lol. If you feel so passionately for over-apping or opening new accounts or people complaining about getting their limits reduced, maybe these forums aren't the place for you?? Smiley LOL

My replies aren't meant to lecture, but to provide a perspective. You are just starting out your file. Adding 9 accounts in 90 days is not advisable for any file. Closing an account just because of a CLD is not advisable. If you had other reasons, fine, close it, as I noted, I have closed cards not long after opening them myself, including a $17k US Bank card that I figured out wasn't going to work for me last year. I've closed cards to freeze terms. I closed my oldest card when Chase wouldn't revise the APR.

Regarding the AMEX that you expected, much of your frustration regarding PC and CL movement is probably just not understanding how AMEX works. You can't PC to every possible card, at any bank. AMEX requires a CL to be aged 13 statements before it can be moved. Not all CCC are the same, each has their own features. As you learn more about them, you will begin to understand and (hopefully) just accept the differences. There's a reason the major corporations and frequent travellers the world over rely on AMEX, it's a good CCC.

And regarding that FICO score increase, it is entirely possible that the SP that AMEX was using to review your file and hit you with the CLD was from February, or not fully updated, in mid-600's. There are indications from situations like new card apps where AMEX does not rapidly update your file with a new SP. Cardmembers who saw a rapid jump in their score due to a major baddie falling off, then apped for AMEX got a starter line from the HP, then asked for an immediate CLI and were told the SP (because it was earlier) wasn't allowing the CLI. The HP was not referenced for the CLI request. If your scores have increased by 90 points rapidly, they may not have the latest info in this AA. Thus, keeping the card open and waiting for the file to catch up, for time to pass, to renegotiate, would be a possible path.

In any event, you've still got a lot of good cards, so onward and forward!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 64 of 93
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

You're 22. Any rapport you think you built with Amex is miniscule. You got some great advice on this thread. Rather than posting a lengthy - super entitled retort, maybe next time take a step back and see things for what they are. You over did it. No matter how responsible you've shown you can be with credit, you still only have 4 years tops of any history. You are a risk, regardless of what you believe. The bank took action, didn't close your accounts - when they certainly could have and you reacted poorly. Feel free to move on without AMEX and believe what you wish. Just know that bashing the advice given here won't help you in the long run.

To the support only posters....SHE* got plenty of support in the form of constructive criticism.

SHE* just didn't know how to accept it.

☮ & ❤
Message 65 of 93
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@PrimeRate wrote:

You're 22. Any rapport you think you built with Amex is miniscule. You got some great advice on this thread. Rather than posting a lengthy - super entitled retort, maybe next time take a step back and see things for what they are. You over did it. No matter how responsible you've shown you can be with credit, you still only have 4 years tops of any history. You are a risk, regardless of what you believe. The bank took action, didn't close your accounts - when they certainly could have and you reacted poorly. Feel free to move on without AMEX and believe what you wish. Just know that bashing the advice given here won't help you in the long run.

To the support only posters....he got plenty of support in the form of constructive criticism.

He just didn't know how to accept it.

Right. It's a shame when people refuse to accept anything other than "great job, Amex is horrible for doing this to you" and encouraging their entitlement. You need a reality check sometimes.

The "retort" post, I kinda just ignored...I understand being upset, but to freak out on people who are trying to help you is just unnessecary. When you make a thread about a situation, you are inviting both sides of the coin. You will get encouragement and you may also get some "maybe you should have done it another way". If you don't want that, what's the point of making a thread? If you're set in your opinion, why invite anyone into it?

Message 66 of 93
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MissMc89 wrote:

*slow claps* I don't get why some people have to be jerks especially after several other people have said the same thing. And reminding posters that CCC's don't care about closing the account to make you look stupid is really irritating. And clearly backfired in this case if they were all on you to reconsider. Smiley Very Happy

Well, there's caring and caring.   It's EXTREMELY unlikely that the institution really cares as (based on CL) the OP wasn't generated meaningful amounts of business.  Individual reps care because they get incentives to retain customers, so they will work hard to do so, even if the impact of the loss is more or less invisible.

In my job, I work with people who pay $12M a month, and those who pay $500 a month.   Generally the second set feel more entitled, and while "We value each customer" the effort put on retaining the latter is going to be much less, just enough for them to feel wanted.   Any complaints, even trivial ones, from the first set get CEO attention 

Message 67 of 93
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I suppose I should have included in my orginial post that I don't need anyone's sass regarding this matter. I'm not entirely sure why I'm getting a bunch of butthurt posters on this thread. My irritation is completely warranted. An AA was arbitrary based on my HIGH spend with AMEX, my meticulously grooming the accounts, my having rapport with the lender, and having credit scores in the mid to high 700s at age 22! I assumed I could hop on these forums for a little support and vent without getting a backlash of snark.

You assumed incorrectly. This board isn't here to coddle hurt feelings; it's here to discuss issues. No one here is obligated to sympathize with you. Just as you have the right to "vent", others have the right to express their feelings about your credit seeking behavior.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, it's not as if I've been the only one to suffer an AA from American Express, specifically. It seems it's becoming a trend for AMEX to do so. And, you know what. It seems to be directly correlated to USAGE. They didn't lower my ED a smidge. But, they did lower my BCE. And, that's the card I hardly used. So...

So... nothing. Anecdotal experience does not a statistical pattern make. If you have real, ranoomized data analysis that Amex is CLD-ing accounts because of low usage, okay, but your experience, or even a bunch of other eager credit board memebers' experiences, do not constitute a pattern.

@Anonymous wrote:

Regarding the account closure, I didn't "fly off the handle".

Oh, okay. It's just that I think posting on a board about what Amex did after what quite clearly is aggressive credit seeking behavior with the headline "Amex is terrible" can quite reasonably be seen as flying off the handle.

@Anonymous wrote:

Additionally, they DID want me to keep the account. And, they were extremely concerned that I decided to drop a product with them. I was on the phone with 4 different reps and 2 different departments for about an hour and a half, having to listen to their attempts to maintain the business with them. Then I got numerous phone calls today.  I was even offered by a senior underwriter to have my limit raised back up to 6k, temporarily, until he could look into it further!!  I spoke with a manager after my initial conversation with the other gentleman who had told me the reasons, and he said verbatim "This seems very odd. You've been an excellent customer, and I see no reason for this at this point in time. Your scores are good. Your account activity is in shape. We don't typically encourage multiple inquiries in a sixth month period. But, we don't necessarily proceed with this kind of action unless something has seriously gone wrong with your report..." etc... And, nothing has gone seriously wrong with my report. I just have a bunch of nice, shiny new cards.

Hmm, one wonders why all this excellent detail about Amex groveling wasn't included in the original post... at least the part that happened intitially. And now you are telling us that Amex offered to roll back the CLD at least temporarily (and if one is to follow your timeline strictly, Amex made such offer AFTER you closed an account) and you still didn't want it, so I don't see the problem with a lender CLDing an account YOU just admitted you didn't want anyway.

If you are happy with your shiney new cards, great. Good for you. I am just surprised you are focusing so much energy on the AA rather than celebrating your wins.

@Anonymous wrote:

And, let's be the devil's advocate for just a second... This is my first app spree EVER. I decided to prolong it, apply for what I WANTED, and get the accounts I WANTED. And, at some point, this kind of a fluffy portfolio will do me some good.

I'm sure that it will, at some point. But as long as we are being practical, if you keep going on sprees, this will most likely not be the last AA you see, and Amex will not most likely be the only lender you will see AA from. That's part of going on sprees, too. You have to decide if the benefits of the sprees are greater than their costs - and you seem to have decided that they are - and make your decisions accordingly.

Message 68 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

For future FICO forums reference: I'm a she, not a he.

Rest assured that I can accept things other than the coddling. It wasn't the only avenue I was exploring. It's how you respond to someone. I'd anticipate rational and conversative responses. I don't anticipate the rudeness. That's what's truly unecessary.

I'm not sure why the 'advice' thing is supposed to have me humbled. I wasn't asking for advice, to begin with. Nowhere in my OP do you see any reference to needing advice or what have you. My original post was meant to inform others of an AMEX action and VENT. The end. And, all this "golden" advice was really just telling me to garden and to stop applying... But, I already knew that? The other "advice" wasn't really advice at all... Advising me to grow up or stop whining about it or telling me I can't dislike a lender for NUMEROUS reasons or that I need a reality check isn't advice. It isn't even helpful; especially to a well-versed woman in her 20s. I don't need the patronizing remarks. I'll take good, solid advice! I don't need the attitude; especially when you're, more often than not, "pot calling the kettle black".

But, to give credit it where it is due, some of the posts were informative and helpful. And, to those, I thank you.

For all you folks saying that you'll gracefully accept an AA, I salute you. However, do I really believe that you're going to be so calm and collected about an AA? No.Tons of people get upset over them; especially if they're good customers. And, that's just it. And, AAs can be arbitrary or in error. They happen at any time. I don't think my spree is entirely to blame, especially when a card I heavily use wasn't touched. So, I am stll on the board of not thinking it was warranted, remotely. And, a couple of American Express higher-ups shared this sentiment. Let's do a poll, real quick.

And, to those people who are saying something to the effect of my  "freaking out" on posters, I can assure you throughout that entire post, my tone was calm; at least, that's what it was meant to convey. But, it was a retort to a couple of sassy posts. So, sass was an underlying element. -shrug

My retort was really only directed to a couple of posters. But, it seems others may have had their feathers ruffled as well. And, so I apologize for that. I appreciate the posts, nonetheless; with the exception of a few.

Message 69 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

Again, emotional reply, as opposed to rational. Didn't say I needed coddling. Period.

Didn't intend for it to "constitute a pattern". I said it seems, not that is IS. Make sure you process verbage, before you mouth off.

The AMEX retainment was AFTER I had spoken to someone about the account. I called back to let them know that instead of mailing in any documents to attempt to keep the original credit line, that I would just close the account. This was a phonecall after the original phone call to find out what was going on. Then, the transferring and the offers began. I don't see how that doesn't make sense to you?

Message 70 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.