cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So American Express offers gift cards...?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So American Express offers gift cards...?

I just hopped onto my account and I never realized they sold AMEX gift cards online for their credit card customers. In fact, they are waiving the purchasing fee AND I could get a $3000 gift card for $8.95 <----shipping cost. Would this be coded as a cash advance if I purchase them with my amex blue cash?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So American Express offers gift cards...?

Interesting. I'm new to Amex. Can that be used to fulfill spending requirements for bonus?

Message 2 of 7
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just hopped onto my account and I never realized they sold AMEX gift cards online for their credit card customers. In fact, they are waiving the purchasing fee AND I could get a $3000 gift card for $8.95 <----shipping cost. Would this be coded as a cash advance if I purchase them with my amex blue cash?

Pretty sure they don't code it as a cash advance, but I  don't think they count towards minimum spend or give you cash back / MR's either. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting. I'm new to Amex. Can that be used to fulfill spending requirements for bonus?

You can keep them and spend them later. It's like storing cash in the mean time but you can meet your bonuses that way. I'm not familar with liquidating them if those are your motives. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Pretty sure they don't code it as a cash advance, but I  don't think they count towards minimum spend or give you cash back / MR's either. 

Good to know! I can find creative usage for them most definitely. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They absolutely do not code as cash advance and you'll earn any rewards on whatever Amex card that you are using just as if it was a 'normal' purchase

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They will not code this purchase as a cash advance. The best deal I've seen so far was around Xmas time... AMEX waived the purchasing fees and the shipping costs. It was great. I'm hoping they will bring this offer around again... I will definitely have to stock up. When it comes to giving bday and graduation gifts.. I prefer to give gift cards. It just makes it easier for me and the person receiving the gift (in my opinion) 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.