Did you mean: 

So I emailed Cap1 EO...and

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: So I emailed Cap1 EO...and

@longtimelurker wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:
I've seen a thread like this before and it was Cap1.. I tried for a while to find this thread that I read, but I can't find it right now. Don't remember what the subject of the thread was.

But, I received a telephone call, too.. It seems like they've been contacting people differently lately.

Yes. a similar thread a week back and it is genuine.   This really isn't very different from them calling you to ask the info, with CID spoofing a call can just as easily be fake as an email.  The chance of it being malicious given that you initiated contact with the EO is very small!

That's good to know! Smiley Happy

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 11 of 28
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@yudeology101 wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

I will PM you the email I sent my request to and the phone number they provided.

K.  I've emailed them a few days back and they called me for my Sony Card CLI so i have all their info as well.

I wonder if you will get them to increase it... they told me it was a no-go that it just wasn't possible to get a CLI on the Sony Card. I've since now seen other people get it, but it's still so rare that I see it that I wonder if it was just a fluke that the people got it.

I didn't know you had the Sony card...!  Yea, everytime when i hit the luv button it gives me the 7-10msg and so far i've been getting the "the CLI is not eligible for this type of account"....bummer  anyways, this is my 2nd time contacting the EO about the Sony CLI, I hope i hear some good news!

I closed it a couple of weeks ago. Just gave up on it.. no rewards that mean anything to me and the idea that it wouldn't grow? That was the nail that slammed that coffin shut, never to open again. lol

Message 12 of 28
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@maiden_girl wrote:

I'm super concerned about replying to it!! I don't want to be an identity  theft victim. LOL. The number they provided in the email is off by a digit or two than the one I already had. Did the EO change the phone number?

That just says to me it's 100% legit. lol The formatting was exactly the same as the previous thread as well. I mean, you can always e-mail them back and say that I don't feel comfortable e-mailing this info, is there any way that you can call me tomorow and I'll complete the info then. (To me though, it's still them so it will save you and them both time to just provide the info to get the ball rolling.

Message 13 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

I'm super concerned about replying to it!! I don't want to be an identity  theft victim. LOL. The number they provided in the email is off by a digit or two than the one I already had. Did the EO change the phone number?

If you are concerned, email what you used before (or call) and ask.

Message 14 of 28
MrMurphyBrown
Regular Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

I was involved in that other thread people are talking about.  First and foremost -- you are very wise to consider the email suspect.  I did not reply to their email and frankly find it shocking that they would ask a cardholder to send those details through unsecure channels -- it's a problem begging to happen.  That aside, the email is legitimate.  

All I did was call them at the number provided in the email.  They will ask you for some details.  

Never... never, never, never send those kinds of details through email.

Several other cards in the sock drawer. A few late payments that are legit from a few years ago. I may get motivated while in the garden to contend with Synchrony and try to get a good will deletion. Utilization and inquiries are my main score dings. I tend to sit in the 650-680 range most of the time because I love hitting "apply" buttons.
Message 15 of 28
evil_ducky
Contributor

This is the thread, lol: ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capitalone-responding-to-an-email-inquiry-I-sent-question/m-p/...

The conclusion was that the email itself and all the contact info within was legit, but nobody really should be asking you to provide personal information over email so call them or request a call as you see fit.

Message 16 of 28
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

If I had any doubts I would call the number on the back of the card and ask to be transferred.  This is what I did with Barclays. Got a call from "security department" with a strange phone number after my app for the Arrival card and on the "who calls me from this number" there were tons of strange comments about scam and Apple financing  so I decided to call and see ...when I was asked for full SSN, name, address, etc I told the person from that "security department"  that I will call back via Barclays main number for my own protection and this was perfectly fine for them.

Message 17 of 28
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I don't understand why they need the last 10 digits of your account.  Online through chat they only ask for the last four. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 18 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

I don't understand why they need the last 10 digits of your account.  Online through chat they only ask for the last four. 

Because online they know who you are (or at least which login account is being used by someone) so just a quick security check.  With an email probably easier to identify that way as emails can get transformed by forwarding etc.

Message 19 of 28
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

I wouldn't reply to that email, I'd never send sensitive account info through email.  I have a contact at the EO office and a legit number, I'd call and say you got an email but would rather speak to someone in person.  Better safe than sorry!

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.