cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I go to buy pizza with my CapOne today....

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

So I go to buy pizza with my CapOne today....

The pizza delivery place took my order and I go to use a CapOne. I read off the account number and expiration and they then ask for the last 3 digits on the back. I flipped the card over and noticed my CapOne only had 2 digits to the right of the signature panel vs. the 3. The pizza place said they can't process my CC without the remaining digits and had to use another card. Seems like if I recall correctly, I have one other card in my portfolio that has no digits to the right of the siggy panel. Is this common? Does it happen to you guys too? I don't to ask for new cards just in case they reissue it and report a new TL.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: So I go to buy pizza with my CapOne today....

Never seen that.
Message 2 of 15
laz98
Senior Contributor

nope, never heard of that!  all my cards seem normal.
Message 3 of 15
JMN
Frequent Contributor

The only cards of mine that do not have digits in the signature section are my Citi American Express card and my American Express charge card, which, obviously have similar numbers on the front of the card.

The rest of my Visa/MasterCards all have three digits. 

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 4 of 15
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Hi, llecs!

I had a Wachovia card and the number was gone, too.  It wasn't really gone, though...it was just worn away, I guess from in & out of the wallet a lot.  I only noticed it when I used it to purchase something online about a year ago. 

I had to rub over the spot where I thought the number should be with a lead pencil.  I guess if you've got some powdered graphite laying around, or something similar, you could sprinkle that over that spot, then lightly rub off just the surface to see if that "raises" the number.  It did for me.

I'm not sure why, but that card had to be replaced twice.  It was either a bad batch of cards, or some store I shop at has a bad swipe machine that was somehow damaging the card/magstripe, whatever.  Just wouldn't work after a time.  And I didn't leave it on top of sound system speakers or anything else,but some gremlin was messin' with it!

Message 5 of 15
john398
Senior Contributor

Might be a good idea to store frequently used cards CID number seperately writen down somewhere, as an alternatively security meassure you can use that caerd without the cid more safely at restaurants without the fear of the wait staff writing down the cid to use with the card number.

I know I have had the numbers rub off on some of my cards but I just either don't use those unless swipped or know the CID

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My cards have the 3 digits.
Message 7 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Ilecs, now you have me looking at the back of all of my cards. Whew, I'm okay!Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 15
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Some of mine are almost wore off so I write them down. They should make them more durable.
Message 9 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

@manyquestions wrote:
Some of mine are almost wore off so I write them down. They should make them more durable.

Order replacement cards.  It's free of charge.  

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.