cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I have a theory as far as CL Increases on CC's go...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I have a theory as far as CL Increases on CC's go...

Please note, I have no first hand experience, just a guy looking to fix  his credit and be as knowledgeable as possible. 

From people on here and people I know... I hear its a good thing to PIF you cc's. However, I didn't understand why a bank would want to increase your credit limit if they weren't making interest on their money.

I realized that just for using the card, there is a fee charged to the merchant that gets spread out through the different providers. The more you use the card, the more they make.. even if you PIF. 

So the more you use your card and show that you're paying it off like it's nothing... the more inclined the CC issuer would be to give you a CLI.

Is this how it works?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: So I have a theory as far as CL Increases on CC's go...

yes

Message 2 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Please note, I have no first hand experience, just a guy looking to fix  his credit and be as knowledgeable as possible. 

From people on here and people I know... I hear its a good thing to PIF you cc's. However, I didn't understand why a bank would want to increase your credit limit if they weren't making interest on their money.

I realized that just for using the card, there is a fee charged to the merchant that gets spread out through the different providers. The more you use the card, the more they make.. even if you PIF. 

So the more you use your card and show that you're paying it off like it's nothing... the more inclined the CC issuer would be to give you a CLI.

Is this how it works?

I respect your opinion and your theory but I'd rather miss out on any future CLI's if it means paying the CCC's interest. I can only speak for myself though.

Just my 2.5 cents worth.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 9
laz98
Senior Contributor

hey, how did you get 2.5 cents???  i'm getting robbed here... Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@laz98 wrote:

hey, how did you get 2.5 cents???  i'm getting robbed here... Smiley Tongue

Inflation rears it's ugly head!!

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this how it works?

I respect your opinion and your theory but I'd rather miss out on any future CLI's if it means paying the CCC's interest. I can only speak for myself though.

Just my 2.5 cents worth.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:

I think OP point was that you don't need to pay interest for CCC to make money.   They make money on every transaction so high usage should help get higher CL. even if you always PIF.  

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right. I have never paid any interest charges and companies keep upping my limits. I spoke to a local merchant and he said it cost him 35 cents just to swipe an amex card, and 3-4% on top of that.

Card companies make more money if you charge more off. The more you charge and pay off, the more they make. If they start to see you slip, they'll charge you some interest and drop your line to avoid risk of a default.

Message 7 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Wolf3 wrote:

I think OP point was that you don't need to pay interest for CCC to make money.   They make money on every transaction so high usage should help get higher CL. even if you always PIF.  

I knew that. I did. I knew that.   Smiley Wink

I just read it wrong. That's my story at least.

But IME with my Discover that doesn't hold true. Last year I charged right at $30,000 on my Discover but for the first time in many years I didn't get a CLI.  Perhaps they'll reward me next year.  Smiley Happy

As with many things having to do with credit YMMV.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 8 of 9
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this how it works?

Banks also make money on transaction and processing fees. The more you swipe, the more they make.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.