Frequent Contributor
tempusfugit123

So I was denied a secured card :(

Because I found out that one of my collection accounts had not updated and said I had not paid do you think I should apply again so they can see that the collection is indeed paid? I really would like this card....
Valued Contributor
nothingman02

Re: So I was denied a secured card :(

Are you positive it is because the collection is 'unpaid' ?

You would have to apply again unless the CC would do a soft pull when you can recon. If you can recon i.e. Was it a BOA secured? I think Orchard secured is pretty easy to get. I got it with 4 unpaid baddies. CUs are very good too.

Frequent Contributor
tempusfugit123

Yea it was because of the unpaid collection that I paid but they hadnt updated. I called and inquired and they told me it was because of the unpaid collection so im wondering since the collection agency finally updated the collection account should I reapply. If im denied again im going to apply for something else in the future.
Frequent Contributor
tempusfugit123

It was the Bofa Secured card I applied for (forgot to tell you) and they denied me. They said I already had a secured card with them that is supposed to graduate in August but I will never get an increase. I thought it was a regular unsecured card. So im trying to get a secured card that will unsecure and that I can deposit some sort of savings into so in the future my credit score will rise and Ill have a good down payment on a new car =D
Valued Contributor
nothingman02

You already have a secured card with BOA and you were assuming that it had unsecured? Is that the reason for denial? That you already have a BOA secured? I did not know they could refuse on that basis. BOA is the best secured card out there but otherwise, orchard is a decent option. But for secured cards, CUs would be my next first choice though. After a period of good payment behaviour, they will give you a secured card and perhaps even give you a good auto loan.

Senior Contributor
txjohn

Talk to a credit union.

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Established Contributor
YoungEntrepeneur

Apply for cards from Capital One and HSBC because they are good starter cards.
Established Contributor
KingAdrock

Tempus, have you called and specifically asked about graduatation for your current card? BofA graduates, but it isn't necessarily 12 months on the dot. Even if they don't give you a CLI, at least you'd get your deposit back.
Until they officially renounce financial reviews, I won't touch Amex with a thirty nine and a half foot pole.
Frequent Contributor
tullz85

Did you consider Capital One? I've never had a problem with them, unlike most people it sounds like. For a starter card, I've been very pleased!
Frequent Contributor
tempusfugit123

Here is the story I'll try to keep it short.

So I was applying for a Worldpoints card with Bofa but was denied they counter-offered with the Platinum Plus Visa card with a $500 limit. So I took their offer. A couple months later I sent a message to a representative asking when they usually give increases their response was my account was never eligible for an increase and I would never be able to do a product change.After investigating I found out that it was not a unsecured card but a secured card that I didnt have to put any money into the account. I called and they told me that the best thing to do was to open another secured card because I was eligible and that that would help me in the future. Hearing how well secured cards work and how they helped people I applied and was denied because of the collection that never updated.

I have tried Capital One and their service stinks. I had to fight to get lates off my credit report because I was hospitilzed and they didnt want to pay even though I paid the payment protector.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+