cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So This Guy Walks Into A Subway Restaurant...

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

So This Guy Walks Into A Subway Restaurant...

...and orders lunch.  When he paid, things got weird.  (BTW, the guy was me).

The cashier swiped my Amex and then this exchange ocurred:

Cashier: "Since you paid with Amex I also need to take an imprint of your card"

Me: "Why?"

Cashier: "It's policy"

Me: "Never happened to me before at any other Subways"

Cashier: "Only at this one and the one across town, same owner"

Me: "Again, why?"

Cashier: "To prove you were here"

Me: "The swipe and signature proves that, not to mention that camera behind you"

Cashier: "It'll just take a second" and to my disbelief she proceeds to take the receipt and place it physically over the card to emboss the numbers by swiping a gift card back-and-forth.  Then she says "You're all set.  Have a nice day"

The key here was she swiped the card and it went through before the imprint.  So why was the imprint necessary?  I called AMEX and they asked a bunch of questions and said not to worry, they see the charge was approved, that I was protected anyway and that they'd be reviewing the franchisee's policy with the Amex merchant account owner.  It was in a shady part of townSmiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

Re: So This Guy Walks Into A Subway Restaurant...

I would totally be freaking out !!

Good call on calling AMEX. I would have made the cashier wait to proceed while I was on with customer service, Ugh. bet you'll never go to that locationagain...

Starting Score: 526 EXP 09/2012 600 FICO 10/2012 608 EX (lenderpull)11/2012
Current Score: 705 FICO TU (10/2014)Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 42
toppers555
Established Contributor

Sounds fishy. Watch your account next few weeks.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 3 of 42
jsucool76
Super Contributor

A lot of places where I live (gainesville florida) will do an imprint of the last four numbers if you order delivery. I assume it is to prove that you actually have the card, or maybe to match up tips with drivers or something, but they do it.
Message 4 of 42
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

The closest Subway to me doesn't take Discover which annoyed me last time I went in there since Disc gives 5% back on restaurants this quarter. 

I'm actually planning on picking up a sub for dinner... guess I'll try to the Amex and if they want to swipe like that I'll just have them cancel it. 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 5 of 42
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
A lot of places where I live (gainesville florida) will do an imprint of the last four numbers if you order delivery. I assume it is to prove that you actually have the card, or maybe to match up tips with drivers or something, but they do it.

That seems more reasonable but in this case she embossed the whole number.  FWIW she did not write the four-digit whatever you call it number on the front or the three-digit one on the back.

Message 6 of 42
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

I'm sorry.

Smiley Wink

Photobucket
Message 7 of 42
bribro
Valued Contributor

It sounds like that particular Subway franchisee fell victim to multiple fraudulent chargebacks. I've only experienced this (physical imprints and extra "security" measures) twice in the last few years - both at Las Vegas nightclubs. I can understand merchants going to great lengths to protect themselves from $5,000+ bottle service bill chargebacks, but for $5 footlongs?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 42
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

When i order pizza hut they take an imprint of the card just like that when they deliver...  maybe I'll order and use my CSP this week just to see what happens Smiley Wink

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 42
TJDgator

@jsucool76 wrote:

I live in Gainesville as well and I have never  been to a place where they do that. Would you mind specifying which places do that?

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.