cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So This Guy Walks Into A Subway Restaurant...

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: So This Guy Walks Into A Subway Restaurant...

@jake619 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

You should track down that person! Theres no need for that, people are very shady now a days that they will do anyhting to steal I.D.'s You should of just been like "you no what ill just pay with my debit or another cc like VISA or Mastercard. Keep track!! HOPEFULLY NOTHING HAPPPENS 

Seriously who cares if they imprint your card? no one should really care that they're just trying to cover their butts incase something happens.  the only reason i can see someone being worried about this is if they're worried their information might be stolen, but even then you're covered my AMEX in the event of fraudlent transactions.

Who cares?  I do.  Her reason was poor.  If the mag swipe had failed then OK.  We aren't talking about an imprint like the olden days with carbon.

I understand I'm covered by Amex; that was never in doubt.  It was the surprise and poor explanation that ticked me off.  FWIW, we were talking about $4.89.  Look out!!!

If it's not against AMEXs policy that why doesn't it matter to you?  Why weret you concerend about them imprinting your card?  \Ii'm just trying to get an understanding of why you were upset...

Also if that is their policy to imprint why should she have to explain that to you?  That merchant has their policies for a reason, I can assure you small businesses don't like to waste employee payroll time for a process that is unnecessary.  You are always welcome to cancel the transaction and go somewhere else if you don't agree with their policies/ 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 31 of 42
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

If it's not against AMEXs policy that why doesn't it matter to you?  Why weret you concerend about them imprinting your card?  \Ii'm just trying to get an understanding of why you were upset...

Also if that is their policy to imprint why should she have to explain that to you?  That merchant has their policies for a reason, I can assure you small businesses don't like to waste employee payroll time for a process that is unnecessary.  You are always welcome to cancel the transaction and go somewhere else if you don't agree with their policies/ 

I'll try to explain my concern as straightaway as I can.  First, to be clear, I'm not as worked up about this has this thread would lead some to believe.  Simply, I've encountered a situation I was unfamiliar with and when I asked for clarification the explanation was weak.

If it's not against AMEXs policy that why doesn't it matter to you?

Is it?  Is it not?  AMEX was confused by the practice of taking an imprint post sale.  If the card reader was down then OK, get out the old school hardware, make it legit.  Maybe you didn't read the part about it not being a traditional imprint by machine.  It was a Scooby Doo secret decoder type embossing where the number was transferred to the register reciept thermal paper.

Why weret you concerend about them imprinting your card?

Because the transaction was already approved via magnetic swipe.  Do they have a legitimate business reason to have the card number post transaction?  Just with Amex?  Visa and MC are OK though.  Nothing jumps out as fishy to you about this?

Also if that is their policy to imprint why should she have to explain that to you? 

It was news to me.  I'd been there a thousand times before.  It had to do with it being Amex she said.  So apparently MC and Visa are exempt from this policy.  Plus, if it was their policy, I would think a more sophisticated method to capture the card data would me used.  It looked like the waitress in the commercial transferring the customers card number to paper by swiping pencil lead over the paper.

You are always welcome to cancel the transaction and go somewhere else if you don't agree with their policies

Certainly I am; however, like I mentioned, the transaction had already been processed magnetically prior to the imprint.

You may throw caution to the wind.  I do not.  Feel free to write your entire card number on your next receipt, sign it and give it to the 16 year-old cashier.  

Message 32 of 42
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Some places think that they're safer from chargebacks when they take a carbon of your card (yes, not with the machine, just rubbing a pen or pencil over the carbon does the trick).  They think it's easier to go back and pull up a receipt with the embossed imprint on it than rewind video footage whenever they get a chargeback.   

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 33 of 42
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I dropped my car off for service at the dealer and picked up a loner this morning. They asked for my license, insurance and a credit card in case I bring it back on empty or do minor damage. I'm cool with that so I gave her my AMEX. She wandered away and came back a couple minutes later with what I thought was some paperwork to sign. She did have that but also had a photocopy of my license and AMEX card. Huh. What was odd is that the copy was not readable (where the numbers overlap the logo in the center) so she grabbed a pen and wrote the number again below the card. 

I trust the dealer to an extent but I'm going to ask for that paper back when I drop the loaner off in a couple days - full of gas and undamaged. I'm not cool with that paper sitting around and I can't be sure it gets shredded. Might even have a chat with the manager as they could have swiped my card and put a hold on some amount just in case. Opinions? 

Message 34 of 42
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

when i worked at a shop rite many years ago, they would "require" credit/debit card purchases over 300 to be embossed even though the card would be debited electronically. but as many times as i went over 300 i wouldn't do this, and no other cashiers seemed to do it either.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 35 of 42
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i don't think it is something to be concerned with, unless you have a debit card, i dont see how it would be an issue. having an amex centurion bank card, disputes are among the most convienent.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 36 of 42
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

...and orders lunch.  When he paid, things got weird.  (BTW, the guy was me).

The cashier swiped my Amex and then this exchange ocurred:

Cashier: "Since you paid with Amex I also need to take an imprint of your card"

Me: "Why?"

Cashier: "It's policy"

Me: "Never happened to me before at any other Subways"

Cashier: "Only at this one and the one across town, same owner"

Me: "Again, why?"

Cashier: "To prove you were here"

Me: "The swipe and signature proves that, not to mention that camera behind you"

Cashier: "It'll just take a second" and to my disbelief she proceeds to take the receipt and place it physically over the card to emboss the numbers by swiping a gift card back-and-forth.  Then she says "You're all set.  Have a nice day"

The key here was she swiped the card and it went through before the imprint.  So why was the imprint necessary?  I called AMEX and they asked a bunch of questions and said not to worry, they see the charge was approved, that I was protected anyway and that they'd be reviewing the franchisee's policy with the Amex merchant account owner.  It was in a shady part of townSmiley Indifferent

Man that's how I used to pay in South America whenever I ordered fried chicken over to be delivered hahaha. Good old times Smiley Very Happy

I wouldn't worry btw.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 37 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

At my work when the cashier has a credit card order for over $500 we take an imprint of the card. And as for Subway, everytime I go there the cashier wants to see my ID when I pay with a credit card, it's pretty annoying and kind of offensive. Next time I will just tell them no, you can't see my ID and see what happens haha.

Message 38 of 42
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Well I went direct to the source...AMEX!  Sent a message to them about this practise.  Here's the response I got back:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXX [edit}

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I want to inform you that there is no requirement from American Express for the merchants to make an imprint or record the number of the card, once it's been swiped and approved.

I have immediately forwarded this matter to the concerned Department and assure you that your feedback will be shared appropriately.

In future if any of the merchants try to do such a thing, kindly give us a call at the number on the back of your Card, while at the point of sale and we will take care of the matter for you.

Hope you find this information useful.

Sincerely,   

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX [edit]

Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services

Sooooo...it would be the appropriate thing to do would be to call AMEX when it happens and they will apparently deal with the merchant!   I also sent the same message to Chase, Discover, CITI, and BofA, awaiting responses from them

Message 39 of 42
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

"..Also if that is their policy to imprint why should she have to explain that to you? ..."

????? Smiley Mad??????  Because if its unclear to the patron WHY this is being requested it doesn't matter if this 'policy' was handed down from generation to generation the patron is 'still' not aware of WHY this is being done.  Also the WAY she stated the "policy" the whole thing just didn't make since!  That's why she needed to explain it.    If I was in OP's shoes she'd have to "explain" this franchise owners 'policy' to me as well. Because it sure isn't SubWays' policy, this I know.  

As far as taking business elsewhere, correct it is an option - just as requiring an employee to 'explain' the policy they 'should' know anyway is the option and right of any patron.

PCI regulations fine big $$ for things like this - is it permissible .... Sure because its being done, but is it the Purchase Card Industries standard of practice? Nope. 

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.