Frequent Contributor

Re: So, am I committing a crime? #AMEX ZYNC

Lol, grab those points and run!Smiley Very Happy

But don't revisit that well ever again.

Message 31 of 47
O-day
New Contributor

@ifinet Thanks for you comment.... Everyone I appreciate ur mean and the few good comments. I know what I have done is wrong. I know it is immoral and unethical but don't judge me for that. Don't act like your an angel and haven't commited a sin in your life. I don't share much stories on this forumn aand now I guess I should watch what I share on here because there were some mean comments. Sorry for bringing an "unethical" story to the plate here I obviously now know I'm doing something very unappropriate thanks anyways
Message 32 of 47
smc733
Valued Contributor

@O-day wrote:
@Anonymous Thanks for you comment.... Everyone I appreciate ur mean and the few good comments. I know what I have done is wrong. I know it is immoral and unethical but don't judge me for that. Don't act like your an angel and haven't commited a sin in your life. I don't share much stories on this forumn aand now I guess I should watch what I share on here because there were some mean comments. Sorry for bringing an "unethical" story to the plate here I obviously now know I'm doing something very unappropriate thanks anyways

Look, you came in here understanding what your wrong, but guess what, none of us are perfect either.  We shouldn't judge, frankly, no one should judge.  It comes down to the fact that it is bad and you should stop, because you can very well get caught (that's all I view on the matter, I don't make a personal judgement on anyone).  You came here for counsel on the legality, and thats where this discussion should have ended.  As someone has said before, people on the internet easily say things they would be very remiss to actually say to that person face-to-face.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 33 of 47
O-day
New Contributor

Exactly and I have made the decision to stop. Obviously I would never speak of this to anyone face to face and I felt comfortable enough to share it with you guys
Message 34 of 47
smc733
Valued Contributor

As you should be able to, this shouldn't really be the community that judges you, it should be the one that advises you.  It is a good thing that you did stop, though.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 35 of 47
DI
Super Contributor

@OP.   Having high credit card debt makes people mean spirited.  I can only think of that reason why  some  posted mean messages.  I guess that's a way to relieve their  frustration. 

Message 36 of 47
orl2185
Established Contributor

@MS00000000 wrote:

There are a lot of comments that this is fraud, immoral, etc. I would say that it's unethical at the least, but to condemn the OP for asking the question seems a little over the top. Telling them to go report themselves to the management is akin to telling them to quit their job, and accusing them of "stealing" because of the merchant charges seems a little heavy handed as well.  There are plenty of people who buy dollar coins from the US Treasury with their credit card to get points, then turn around and deposit the cash. Again, unethical at the least.

Let's not forget what these forums are about. They are to help others with our collective knowledge, not to condemn them or judge them when they ask a legitimate question. 

Hello..vwhere is the legitimacy with this post?

I also agree with Credit Kidd.

Op.. ty for stopping this practice.Smiley Wink

What goes around comes around...Smiley Surprised you left a massive trail behind,

Message 37 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to let this die but:

@MS00000000 wrote:

There are a lot of comments that this is fraud, immoral, etc. I would say that it's unethical at the least, but to condemn the OP for asking the question seems a little over the top. Telling them to go report themselves to the management is akin to telling them to quit their job, and accusing them of "stealing" because of the merchant charges seems a little heavy handed as well.  There are plenty of people who buy dollar coins from the US Treasury with their credit card to get points, then turn around and deposit the cash. Again, unethical at the least.

Let's not forget what these forums are about. They are to help others with our collective knowledge, not to condemn them or judge them when they ask a legitimate question. 

IT IS STEALING. IT IS A FIREABLE OFFENSE. IT IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

THE STORE MADE LESS MONEY EVERY DAY IT HAPPENED BECAUSE THIS PERSON DID WHAT THEY DID. Its the same as if this person knew they would not be written up if they were under $5.00 short in their register every day so every day they stole $4.99. (Granted in the real world that would happen about 2 times before they just fired you but.)

@$300 charged in a day cost the employer @ $10.00.

You can parse it, sugar coat it, and rationalise it anyway you want, but it is stealing and is grounds for termination.

The person has abused their position in cash handling.  

Please do not try to defend that.

If I buy US coins from the Treasury with a credit card the Treasury is aware of what they are doing. The owners of this restaurant are not aware this person is doing what they are doing. I think the deception aspect, along with the enrichment in points at the cost to the employer in merchant fees is yeah criminal.

Message 38 of 47
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I'm just wondering how you gave the customers the correct change for their bills, from your tips?  How about coins, a no sale through register?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 39 of 47
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

@orl2185 wrote:

@MS00000000 wrote:

Hello..vwhere is the legitimacy with this post?

I also agree with Credit Kidd.

Op.. ty for stopping this practice.Smiley Wink

What goes around comes around...Smiley Surprised you left a massive trail behind,

To summarize, they asked if they were wrong to do what they were doing, presumably because they started thinking about it more and wanted to hear it from someone else to confirm they should stop. When someone asks for help, help them. You can do it in a kind manner, or an unkind manner. Which manner you choose shows what kind of person you are.

Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.