cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So amex doesn't give offers to existing members?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So amex doesn't give offers to existing members?

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

At least now I know that existing members aren't eligible for bonuses on new accounts. Is it only AMEX that does that? I was heavily considering a charge card in the upcoming year, but now I don't think I'll bother.

From what I understand they are. Most will say if you've had the same product within so many months, but don't care if you've other cards with them.

Lol, so what's the official answer, then? =P Some say yes, others say no.

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. So much clearer. Lol.

Message 12 of 26
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

When I login to American Express, I do have sign up offers to get new cards.  However, the offers are at best the same as the public offers available via incognito web browsing.  I am sure if I cancelled my American Express card, I could get better sign up offers in a few months, but I am too loyal a customer to try.  Note, you only get one lifetime bonus per card.

Message 13 of 26
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

When I login to American Express, I do have sign up offers to get new cards.  However, the offers are at best the same as the public offers available via incognito web browsing.  I am sure if I cancelled my American Express card, I could get better sign up offers in a few months, but I am too loyal a customer to try.  Note, you only get one lifetime bonus per card.

I am tempted to try cancelling my BCE , which i will never use because I am going to apply for SM next month, and SM is better than BCE in every possible way. I don't see myself ever going over the caps. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

In private browsing will result in HP instead of SP, However...

Message 15 of 26
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol, so what's the official answer, then?

YMMV

Message 16 of 26
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@CreditDunce wrote:

I am tempted to try cancelling my BCE , which i will never use because I am going to apply for SM next month, and SM is better than BCE in every possible way. I don't see myself ever going over the caps. 

I don't go over the SM Caps for my actual grocery shopping.  But a trip to wallmart can put a serious dent in the cap..  Between the months I hit wallmart, the Amex sync/cash back offers and my MSD,  the BCE is still worth it for me.

I can certainly see the attraction, though, of dumping the BCE.  And hoping for a good signup bonus in January.

Message 17 of 26
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@CreditDunce wrote:

I don't go over the SM Caps for my actual grocery shopping.  But a trip to wallmart can put a serious dent in the cap..  Between the months I hit wallmart, the Amex sync/cash back offers and my MSD,  the BCE is still worth it for me.

I can certainly see the attraction, though, of dumping the BCE.  And hoping for a good signup bonus in January.

i have been waiting for most of the year for PRG signup bonus, I wonder if cancelling BCE will help me get that 50k signup bonus. I don't really know if that will do it or not. Its kind of annoying Amex has some of the better travel credit cards. 

Message 18 of 26
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

AMEX does not give sign up offer to cards you had previously hold. This isn't an AMEX only policy. Other card issuers are doing something similar to crack down on those who churn these sign up offers.

Message 19 of 26
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Well i never had an prg so that shouldn't affect me getting signup bonus. I think what is preventing me from getting the 50k signup bonus is because i already have an amex card, doesn't matter what kind of amex card. I am pretty sure that Amex could care less about keeping current customers, they are only looking for new customers. I think that is standard practice for all ccc not just amex. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.