cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So angry at Discover right now I almost closed everything!

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: So angry at Discover right now I almost closed everything!

I've never understood why people care about the APR on a rewards card, but this thread got me curious so I just pulled up my last Discover statement and it says my APR for purchases is 0%.  That doesn't really make any sense.  I should be well outside the intro period so I can't imagine why it would be 0%.  I did call them at some point to get the double rewards promo applied so maybe they mentioned it then and I just didn't think anything of it. 

I not really complaining, but it's just weird.  Maybe I should check the statements on my rewards cards more often!

Message 41 of 57
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

I've never understood why people care about the APR on a rewards card, but this thread got me curious so I just pulled up my last Discover statement and it says my APR for purchases is 0%.  That doesn't really make any sense.  I should be well outside the intro period so I can't imagine why it would be 0%.  I did call them at some point to get the double rewards promo applied so maybe they mentioned it then and I just didn't think anything of it. 

I not really complaining, but it's just weird.  Maybe I should check the statements on my rewards cards more often!

our joint account was lowered to 0% for a year earlier this year vs. lowering our purchase apr permanently but then of course since got it lowered to the 14.xx during retention call but the 0% still runs through feb. 2016 and the 0% I took advantage of runs full 12 months... I also had an offer for 4.9% for 18 months if I didn't take the 0%.

Message 42 of 57
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

our joint account was lowered to 0% for a year earlier this year vs. lowering our purchase apr permanently but then of course since got it lowered to the 14.xx during retention call but the 0% still runs through feb. 2016 and the 0% I took advantage of runs full 12 months... I also had an offer for 4.9% for 18 months if I didn't take the 0%.

I'm thinking they probably offered it on that call and I said:  "Sure, why not..."  and forgot all about it.  I had a similar offer on BofA Cash Rewards last time I talked to them.

Dang it now I AM wondering what all my APRs are.  lol   I'm not looking though.  There's too many of them and APRs really don't matter to me except for the card where my BT is sitting and I know I've got at least 9 months left on that.

Message 43 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

Well, if you hadn't planned to use Discover for the BT, could you have gotten better terms with another card? Maybe no BT fee with a low APR, or a longer 0% term?

longtimelurker,

I'm certainly not a CL fanatic (I intentionally listed it last and generally least important) but I don't miss my toy limits.

NRB525,

You have a large number of travel rewards cards, including some with AFs due the first year, but can't PIF? I don't share your priorities.

Message 44 of 57
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would not want to try that in reverse, giving up things of real value (presumably money by paying a BT fee) in exchange for the hope that I may get something from the bank in the future.

I do precisely this with a BT offer:

I pay the bank 3% or 4% of the amount I want to transfer.

They don't bill me interest (or bill a very low rate of interest) for 12 to 18 months while I pay it back.

Seems like a fair trade to me.

Agreed.  And some banks like it (Discover and Barclays comes to mind).

Signature needs updating
Message 45 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wacdenney wrote:

Same here--this forum made me realize I had no idea whatsoever what any of my APRs are, since I always PIF. Last week I decided to gather the information in a spreadsheet just to have for reference (and in case I ever find myself needing to carry a balance), and Discover just says 0%, even though I'm pretty sure I should be out of the promo period. I also thought it was odd that my other cards with promo APRs all list something like "0% APR until May 2016, 11.99% APR after," but Discover only says 0%. I suppose it doesn't actually matter for anything, but now I'm curious what's going on with Discover!

Message 46 of 57
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover strikes me as a rational lender. If an account is 2 or 3 years old, gets barely any activity, and the customer has a lot of other cards, where's the incentive to work hard to keep the customer?

The hope that you would bring a lot of spending over from dozens of other cards? I doubt they see it as realistic. 

I am not sure how a CCC would bring about incentive for a given customer. CLIs and APRs stem from policy. Sugar coated discretion to make you feel special is something else. What kind of personal service did you have in mind? Smiley Wink

Message 47 of 57
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would not want to try that in reverse, giving up things of real value (presumably money by paying a BT fee) in exchange for the hope that I may get something from the bank in the future.

They don't bill me interest (or bill a very low rate of interest) for 12 to 18 months while I pay it back.

This makes sense IF either

a) you CAN PIF but can get a higher rate of return elsewhere   or

b) you can't PIF and need to carry a balance

In the case of a) in today's low interest environment not sure that this is always achievable without some risk.

Message 48 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover strikes me as a rational lender. If an account is 2 or 3 years old, gets barely any activity, and the customer has a lot of other cards, where's the incentive to work hard to keep the customer?

The hope that you would bring a lot of spending over from dozens of other cards? I doubt they see it as realistic. 

I am not sure how a CCC would bring about incentive for a given customer. CLIs and APRs stem from policy. Sugar coated discretion to make you feel special is something else. What kind of personal service did you have in mind? Smiley Wink

Lots of folks around here have a very misguided ideal that the credit card companies are somehow in it to serve us.  They'll offer us credit, and they'll give us incentive to use their cards, but when it comes right down to it, there's no reason for them to even care if we use them or not.  And anyone who's been AA'd after adding more accounts than their lender is comfortable with will tell you how that worked out for them.  Use your cards to effectively build your credit, but don't expect lenders to kiss your ring because you may or may not be a better customer than someone else. And especially don't go around thinking that you're somehow entitled to a CLI or APR reduction because you put spending on any card.  I'll tell you right now, that's definitely not their line of thinking. 

Message 49 of 57
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This makes sense IF either

a) you CAN PIF but can get a higher rate of return elsewhere   or

b) you can't PIF and need to carry a balance

In the case of a) in today's low interest environment not sure that this is always achievable without some risk.

Maybe extra working capital for a very small personal business which otherwise doesn't get funding from conventional business financing sources?

True; it has a risk. But enterprising individuals can always find small, niche areas of arbitrage and make a quick killing but not really required to open a business!

Message 50 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.