Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So annoyed with myself and Discover!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So annoyed with myself and Discover!

So, after receiving Discover pre-approvals every month for the past year and shredding them every time, I finally gave in and completed the application and was DENIED!!!   I'm so frustrated  because I knew better than to apply right now and I don't even need it  anyway.   The  thing is that I kinda went on an app spree last month and after being approved for a refinance on my car with my CU and getting a great rate, I decided to use that same credit report and also apply for a CC with them. I was actually really shocked when I was approved with a $5k CL since my highest CL at the time was $3,700 with Care Credit and $2k with Merrick Bank.  Other than that, I had been dealing with multiple Capital One accounts with pidley $500 CL's. With these new approvals, it got me thinking that I should go ahead an apply for the Costco Amex I had always wanted (but feared having) and to my surprise, I was approved for that one as well, with a$10k CL!! This was a pretty great day! I went out to lunch with my brother that weekend and was bragging about my new cards and he threw his Chase card in my face... Now,  up until about a year ago, my scores were in the low to mid 600's and I had two baddies that seemed to hang on tight and limit my options and because of the that, I spent the last couple years gardening my sub-prime cards and hoping that one day, my scores would make it up to 700. At no point did I ever think that I would be approved for either of these cards or these high CL's.  It actually pretty funny since in July, I got a ScoreWatch alert that I was officially in the 800 club!!!  Smiley Surprised  Yes, I went from 650 to 800 pretty quickly  and trust me, I was totally shocked!!   I think it was such a huge accomplishment for me that I just didn't believe it and more than anything, I was scared to death of it.  Smiley Very Happy   Anyway, back to the point....  After seeing my brothers card, I decided that I just had to have one too and I proceeded to apply and be approved for $6k Chase Slate.  At this point, I realized that I had a problem. I am addicted applying for new credit and it was time to take a step back and wait at least 6 mos to a year before applying again.  I currently have 0% interest on both the Amex and the Slate card and really don't need anything else.  I'm using the Amex for daily expenses and the PIF every two weeks and will only being carrying a balance on the Slate for the next 12 mos (while I still have 0%, and until I pay off the dental work I just put on it.)

While I've become obsessed with reading these boards, I am not really obsessed with my scores at this time because I don't anticipate buying a car or house in the next year or two and I figured that now is the time to bite the bullet, apply for several cards, take the hit and then in a year I should have mostly recovered. Lately, I have been reading that so many people love their Discover (and US Bank) cards and I have been receiving countless temptaions  pre-approvals from both, that I just couldn't take it anymore. Today's offer from Discover was for 0% for 6 mos on purchases, 12 mos on balance transfers, $100 cash bonus, and only a 9.9% apr after the promotional period. This was far better than anything I could find on their website so I broke down, applied and was denied!!!  This is sooo irritating because I sat here staring at the stupid letter for hours trying to weigh out the pros and cons,  the likelihood of being approved with all the new accounts/inquiries on my report, and I wrongly assumed that they wouldn't have sent ANOTHER offer this week if they didn't like what they saw.  UGH!!!!

Anyway, I realize that it's probably best that I didn't get it but I'm still frustrated because they kept sending me these stupid pre-approvals. And now,  more than anything, I'm afraid that this might freak out Amex.......  We all know how crazy they can get!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: So annoyed with myself and Discover!

Have you tried to do a recon with discover?

It never hurts to try.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny thing is...  even though I don't need it, I can't take the rejection so I'm going to try in the morning. Smiley Indifferent I tried the backdoor number immediately but they were close. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly I don't blame you for trying. Glad to see you in the 800's congrats. Try the recon. If that doesn't work you might want to take it easy on the apps just to make sure that you don't trigger the infamous FR process with AMEX. keep us updated.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well... I tried recon but was still denied. I explained that while I opened three new accounts, I also closed three old ones but she sad there was nothing she could do and that I sshould try again in 45 days. I will probably go ahead and wait at least 6 mos at this point. I really don't need it anyway but just wanted to take advantage of the great offer. Guess I'll have to see when they start sending me more pre-approvals. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Well... I tried recon but was still denied. I explained that while I opened three new accounts, I also closed three old ones but she sad there was nothing she could do and that I sshould try again in 45 days. I will probably go ahead and wait at least 6 mos at this point. I really don't need it anyway but just wanted to take advantage of the great offer. Guess I'll have to see when they start sending me more pre-approvals. Smiley Sad

My advice is to move on and forget about it. After all it's only a credit card. It's not that important. Don't let credit control your life.

I would also remove any future temptations (pre-approvals) by Opt Out Credit Reports.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.