cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So done with Cap1. Easy Visa or Mastercard to get?

tag
Exonumist
Established Contributor

So done with Cap1. Easy Visa or Mastercard to get?

I'm not going to get into detail, but I'm completely fed up with Capital One and their abysmal customer service. So... I need to figure out another Visa or Mastercard that I should apply for as I don't want to use my debit card and my other cards are Discover and AMEX. I really only use the Cap1 when I'm somewhere that doesn't accept my other cards. Current cards are Discover it, AMEX Green, and Cap1 "Platinum"(no af). AAoA is 9 months, utilization is 0% this month, 7 inquiries total only 3 in the last year, and I have no negatives on any report. All that is really hurting me is my aaoa and the credit cards are all young accounts. The Cap1 is 11 months, Discover is 7 months, and Amex is only 2 months. I was planning on waiting until January for any more apps and then going for one or two AMEX revolvers, but I really want to replace the Cap1 and just sd it. The only card that I can think of as a possibility is the Chase Freedom. Any other ideas?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: So done with Cap1. Easy Visa or Mastercard to get?

Id wait until your oldest account hits one year before you app for freedom. I don't care for amex much so I can't give you advice there
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 30
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Ditto, wiat at least a year before apping for a major cc. They like to see history. You may try for a credit union branded mc/vs. They could be easier to qualify for.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@rootpooty wrote:
Id wait until your oldest account hits one year before you app for freedom. I don't care for amex much so I can't give you advice there

Chase is fairly inquiry sensitive....  I think you should wait til Cap 1 hits the 1 year mark before you close them. 

You may try for the Old Navy Visa??  If you shop at Gap or Old navy, you may be interested in this card.  Maybe Barclays?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Try Paypal Plus Extras MC. Idk though... Your aaoa is low... Most lenders look for at least a year or two of aaoa.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 30
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Thanks for the replies. Any recommendations as to a specific credit union? There is one local one that has been sending me pre-approval offers for an auto refinance, but I have no accounts with them. I don't think I have ever bought anything at Old Navy/ Gap so that's probably not the best card. It's GE backed isn't it? The Paypal card actually looks somewhat appealing. I spend about $400 a month on gas so I'm definitely missing the gas quarter with Discover and the 3 points per dollar sounds good. How do their points transfer to cash back or gift cards? Rewards aren't really my main focus here, although I definitely don't mind them. Are there maybe any lower interest rate cards that may approve me? Also I forgot to mention my FICO scores in the original post. A month and a half ago my EQ on here was 693 and about a month ago Discover had my FICO at 742 or 746 on a cli denial. I don't remember what it was exactly other then 74X and it was declined because the account wasn't quite six months old. I forgot my first statement only had a week on it. I was afraid you guys would all say to wait for the year. My original plan was to try and get an AMEX revolver in January and after that I really have no need or desire for any other cards. I just really want to get this Cap1 card out of my wallet.

Message 6 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Default4 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Any recommendations as to a specific credit union? There is one local one that has been sending me pre-approval offers for an auto refinance, but I have no accounts with them. I don't think I have ever bought anything at Old Navy/ Gap so that's probably not the best card. It's GE backed isn't it? The Paypal card actually looks somewhat appealing. I spend about $400 a month on gas so I'm definitely missing the gas quarter with Discover and the 3 points per dollar sounds good. How do their points transfer to cash back or gift cards? Rewards aren't really my main focus here, although I definitely don't mind them. Are there maybe any lower interest rate cards that may approve me? Also I forgot to mention my FICO scores in the original post. A month and a half ago my EQ on here was 693 and about a month ago Discover had my FICO at 742 or 746 on a cli denial. I don't remember what it was exactly other then 74X and it was declined because the account wasn't quite six months old. I forgot my first statement only had a week on it. I was afraid you guys would all say to wait for the year. My original plan was to try and get an AMEX revolver in January and after that I really have no need or desire for any other cards. I just really want to get this Cap1 card out of my wallet.

Paypal Extras MC is also backed by GE, and it should be slightly lenient approval..

Good Luck!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yep do app for the Paypal Mc; it's also a Platinum card with Plat benefits!!
On gas/restaurants, you get 3x pts, which is like 2.5% cashback by my estimation. 6000 pts equal a $50 cash credit.

I like mine :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 30
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I'd love the PayPal card, but have a (satisifed) PR on TU, which GE historically pulls. I also have 6 inquires over the past two yrs, 4 of which are really mine (the other two are from CA's doing hard pull trying to collect 10 year old debts)

What are my chances????

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 9 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

if it's from that long ago, it should be okay....

I got approved with a 670'ish TU FICO for a $2,000 limit with the Paypal Extras MC.

what's your TU FICO?

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.