cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So done with Cap1. Easy Visa or Mastercard to get?

tag
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: So done with Cap1. Easy Visa or Mastercard to get?

@Elcid89 wrote:

I think that the OP has the builder card. Those start with a $300 to $500 limit, possibly increase once and then never increase again.

The entire model for that product is to collect the annual fees. They are basically charging you a fee that they expect will outweigh any potential cash back rewards in return for being willing to extend you a minimal credit line. You're buying a trade line for your report in order to build history, nothing more.

And once people realize this and quit whining, the better off we all are. lol.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 21 of 30
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

I think that the OP has the builder card. Those start with a $300 to $500 limit, possibly increase once and then never increase again.

The entire model for that product is to collect the annual fees. They are basically charging you a fee that they expect will outweigh any potential cash back rewards in return for being willing to extend you a minimal credit line. You're buying a trade line for your report in order to build history, nothing more.

The Cap1 I have is the Platinum with no annual fee. It did start at $300 and then go to $500. It has no rewards of any kind and no annual fee. I'm willing to give them that they gave me card when others wouldn't. I was even denied for student cards. Other then that they have been worthless.

Message 22 of 30
Elcid89
Contributor

Just bear in mind that C1's entire model is more or less based on milking marginal consumers. They do offer higher tier cards, but historically they are a subprime lender, with the fees and interest rates that go along with that.

They serve a useful purpose, but use them as a springboard to something better. That, IMO, is about all that they are really good for.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 23 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@injustifiiable wrote:

I'd love the PayPal card, but have a (satisifed) PR on TU, which GE historically pulls. I also have 6 inquires over the past two yrs, 4 of which are really mine (the other two are from CA's doing hard pull trying to collect 10 year old debts)

What are my chances????

I had a satisfied PR on EX and TU, it was old, but I still have been approved for prime cards...  I've gotten CLIs on my GE JCPenney card...

I don't think you'll have an issue unless the PR is newish

Duh I read the whole thread....  Congrats on the new card, that's a really nice starting CL with Paypal! 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 24 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Default4 wrote:

I just applied. I hate the loading animations while it processes your application. It's nerve racking! Anyways... instantly approved for a $2k limit! Any sense in trying a recon on the limit or just wait for four months as it is GE? Thank you guys. This card will replace the Cap1 very nicely and I can use it for gas until Discover will give me 5% again. I'm headed back to the garden though. I hate apping.

That's a great starting limit!  Congratulations!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 25 of 30
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

And once people realize this and quit whining, the better off we all are. lol.

My problem with their customer service actually has nothing to do with the credit limit. I understand that that specific card will never grow. I'm a little bit more concerned about them not bothering to send or even generate a statement when they should have. I spent a couple of hours with them between multiple online chats and phone calls just to get them to realize they made a mistake. I never got a single apology. All I got were foreign accents with an accusatory tone acting like I was a stupid customer who didn't know what I was talking about.

Thanks webhopper!

Message 26 of 30
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Default4 wrote:

I just applied. I hate the loading animations while it processes your application. It's nerve racking! Anyways... instantly approved for a $2k limit! Any sense in trying a recon on the limit or just wait for four months as it is GE? Thank you guys. This card will replace the Cap1 very nicely and I can use it for gas until Discover will give me 5% again. I'm headed back to the garden though. I hate apping.

You seem to be in the minority on these forums, LOL!!!

Congrats on the approval! Nice starting limit, and it should grow with you. See you in the garden. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 27 of 30
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@Default4 wrote:

You seem to be in the minority on these forums, LOL!!!

Congrats on the approval! Nice starting limit, and it should grow with you. See you in the garden. Smiley Happy

Maybe they hate the repercussions of apping, such as AAoA reduction and HP. Not the apping itself...I think we are all app junkies..haha

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 28 of 30
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Maybe they hate the repercussions of apping, such as AAoA reduction and HP. Not the apping itself...I think we are all app junkies..haha

It's the aaoa, hp, and I get kind of stressed for if I'll be approved or not. Even if it is only 10-60 seconds. It's too much lol. I'd much rather get CLIs then get new cards.

Message 29 of 30
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Capital One is horrible.  I love the "Crap 1" nic-name too, it's very fitting. LOL!  I'm new to the forum so sorry if I'm late to all of this. 

I had the biggest headache with Cap.1 last night..I won't get it into it again on this post, but let's just say their Customer Service is beyond horrible.  I'm grateful for the opportunity they gave me to establish credit, but the accounts do not grow with you and they treat you like crap.  Time to move on.

Cogratuations to the OP (I hope that means what I think it means - Original Poster? LOL)  on your new Mastercard!!! Happy for ya! Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.