tag
ImprovingYouth
Regular Contributor

Re: So guess who just got FR'ed!

@Shogun wrote:

popcorn dog.jpg

Just watching.  Smiley Happy

You have got to be my favorite Mod ^.^

Age: 22 //Cards: Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Visa, Discover IT, CreditOne, CapOne Quicksilver, CapOne Cash, Walmart, Barclaycard, Citibank BestBuy, NavyFederal Visa Signature cashRewards //AAoA: 1 Year 3 Months (but going down quickly Smiley Tongue) //CK:692, Sesame:656
Message 81 of 105
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

I think this is a prime example of why people shouldn't be so scared of Amex FRs. I'm sure that in most cases, there's an obvious, logical reason for Amex to conduct a FR, but when people post about it on forums like this, they tend to leave out embarrassing details.

Without knowing about ilovelisa's 82+ INQs, this story could be pretty scary: getting hit with a FR despite no unusual charges, very light usage and not doing "anything weird." If someone like that could get hit with a FR, it could happen to anyone at any time. However, knowing about the 82 INQs makes the FR look more sensible and predictable: someone who's frantically applying for new credit, while not using a charge card that would need to be paid off every month, might look suspicious to Amex.

I'm not passing judgment on the OP; I'm just pointing out that this is an example of a FR "horror story" not being all that horrifying.
Message 82 of 105
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

The OP is taking it in stride.  They knew they had all the Inqs and is willing to accept the consequences.  It's quite a bit different from the ones that I see that say they've opened up 20 new accounts and now they're being FR'd and it's not fair.

They took the hits from the Inqs to get the card they want. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 83 of 105
Open123
Super Contributor

@LionLaw wrote:

I'm not passing judgment on the OP; I'm just pointing out that this is an example of a FR "horror story" not being all that horrifying.

I would never characterize anything in which I can freely decline with little or no consequence to be horrifying.

Message 84 of 105
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

So I get home from work today, and have a message waiting from American Express asking me to call them. I call the number back, and the automated system says thank you for calling the AMEX FR team Smiley Surprised. Uh oh, so I called the extension I was given and the lady that left the message answered. So after the verification questions she asks me about my current phone numbers, email address, current job and pay. So she says that they are going to need a document from me where they can take a look at my 2011 tax return. I told her, I'm not going through this hassle, because to tell you the truth I was planning on closing this account before the AF hits in September, because I find I get better rewards on my other cards, and I am not going to pay $25 for something I don't use. So she went ahead and closed the account. She said, well we hate to lose a cardmember, I wanted to say "yea well, look at the kind of crap that you're company is pulling" but I remained silent. So no more Zync, and I will most likely never apply for another AMEX again.

Thats telling them. I mean a couple (or 82) inquiries and they dare ask you for information from you to keep open a zync. What losers they are.
Message 85 of 105
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Hey OP,

Do you mind sharing what your FICO scores are? I'm guessing that the FICO scoring model stops factoring in inquiries after a certain number

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 86 of 105
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@LionLaw wrote:

I would never characterize anything in which I can freely decline with little or no consequence to be horrifying.

I tend to agree; however, a number of posters on here have expressed fear of getting hit with an Amex FR, and stories that make FRs seem like random occurrences that could happen at any time for any reason heighten that fear.

And I wouldn't say you can "freely decline" a FR, at least not if you care about keeping your Amex open.  Personally, I have CC accounts with a wide variety of banks, so while Amex is my preferred card, if they decided to close my account, it wouldn't have any real effect on my finances.  But, for someone who is depending on Amex more heavily, I'm sure the specter of a random FR is pretty scary.

Message 87 of 105
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

The OP is taking it in stride.  They knew they had all the Inqs and is willing to accept the consequences.  It's quite a bit different from the ones that I see that say they've opened up 20 new accounts and now they're being FR'd and it's not fair.

They took the hits from the Inqs to get the card they want. 

+1

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 88 of 105
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

I got a denial letter today from chase that said my EQ was 674.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 89 of 105
myjourney
Super Contributor

Hold your head up and wish for the best and I still have the drink waiting on you in the garden... and it won't affect your scores Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 90 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.