cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So if I always pay before statement cut?

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: So if I always pay before statement cut?

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless you are planning on applying, all you are doing is giving away your grace period.

Agreed.

Also... a history of letting your cards report a $0 balance and then running up a large balance could also potential spook your creditors... since they'll have no history of you letting a large balance report and then paying it off.

The entire 1-9% reporting game isn't necessary unless you are making a large purchase in the next 30 days. 

I let a $4800 balance report on my Sallie Mae card last month... lost 6 FICO points... paid it off this month and a new balance of $1200 reported.  I got the 6 points back.

They didn't CLD me either.

Now I'm going to go outside and enjoy the cloudy day... (I'm in Seattle)

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 11 of 15
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So i pay weekly and $0.00 reports, is this bad? Is this hurting my score?

Do it look like I never use my credit cards? I will start to try to have a balance report but then I have to remeber a due date versus just paying it.

The rule of thumb is to have 1%-9% reporting on a card.  That will also let the naysayers know you are using your card and also helps maximize your score...

^^^^^

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My utilization has pretty much always reported from 20-60% on any one to two cards. I let my statements cut unless the amounts owed are trivial to avoid the "balances on more than 50% of TL" penalty.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could just look at your statements to see the posting date.
Message 14 of 15
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

If we are atalking about Walmart. Here is the trick to get a statement , overpay your balance by 10 cents. Bu you can not do this online, they will reject any overpay. Pay in store. This way it reports as zero on the CR's and generates a statement.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.