Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So my GF has good credit and I'm a rebuilder and don't have advice

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: So my GF has good credit and I'm a rebuilder and don't have advice

Technically the Walmart MC is a bank card since it can be used everywhere and tecnically you can get cash back with itSmiley Wink

Have her google , or search this forum lol, for cash back cards, look at the benifits of each and see what best fits her spend and go from there. There are plenty of options available and she can either go bank routes like Citi Dc, or Credit Union routes, like Penfed. It great that you are helping her out but just make sure she researches them well before applyingSmiley Wink
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a personal lover of cash back cards, my Amex BCE is my every day card and unless not accepted it's all i use. Amex grows pretty quickly in my opinion. i would have her app for an Amex (no AF card) and a Chase card. I personally wouldn't do a spree or anything, if she's been content with what she currently has, she'll be content with 1 or 2 new cards. Good luck!

Message 22 of 30
Brickbybrick
Regular Contributor

Completely agreed, thanks for your help guys and yes spree idea was stupid. I will pass the info to her and let her make her decisions. Giving advice to people makes me nervous, so I wanted to study and research give her my 2 cents.

5/27/17 Experian: 679 Equifax: 628 TransUnion: 630
Cap1 QS:600 Credit One: 600 Merrick Bank: 550 Amex: 500 JCrew: 250
Message 23 of 30
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Re: So my GF has really good credit and I'm a rebuilder and don't have advice

@Brickbybrick wrote:

This thread has become quite odd, she asked me to basically make a thread for what cards she should apply for since she has only has store cards and would like cash back, etc. She asked me for advice and I came here.

Agree with the bolded. 

One minute people are exclaiming the horrors of store cards and the next, only store cards are just fine. 

She should have one major bank card - e.g. NOT co-branded. And you're right, she shouldn't go on a spree. Not everyone will be so-called credit addicts Smiley Happy

I would definitely say it depends on her spending habits AMEX BCE is a great choice (3% grocery, 2% gas, 1% everything else) which will benefit the average consumer (not bonus/rewards chasers!). Citi Double Cash is also a good everyday card. I would normally tell anyone newer to the credit world to go ahead and get a Quick Silver, but Capital One is crazy lately so maybe not.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 24 of 30
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Yes, the app spree is never a great idea. Especially if she doesn't know what she is after. There are literally hundreds options out there and too much apping will thrash her 750 score.She needs to know what she wants: Cash back,  Reward points, or both. Once she is confortable with her diecison, she should be able to get almost any card(s) she wants. She just needs to be careful as once you app and get a card, it hits your CRA and lowers your AAOA, and she needs to make sure its what she really has  use for.

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

So hard to pinpoint without more info on what she wants. BoA 3-2-1, or AMEX BCE are my go to daily driver recs though. AMEX PRG also if you travel enough to use to $100 credit.

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So hard to pinpoint without more info on what she wants. BoA 3-2-1, or AMEX BCE are my go to daily driver recs though. AMEX PRG also if you travel enough to use to $100 credit.

I have the same two cards Bofa 3-2-1 and Amex Bce combo. Are you using the Bofa for strictly gas and then BCE for strictly groceries? They both have identical rewards categories but just in reserve order in terms of % back.  I've heard Bofa counts some walmart and target as groceries which the BCE does not include. 

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the same two cards Bofa 3-2-1 and Amex Bce combo. Are you using the Bofa for strictly gas and then BCE for strictly groceries? They both have identical rewards categories but just in reserve order in terms of % back.  I've heard Bofa counts some walmart and target as groceries which the BCE does not include. 

For gas I find myself using my Costco Citi more, as that gives me 4% back on it. I usually use my BCE for most things, but the BoA at all places my AMEX aren't accepted. I just have the BoA because I bank with them and they can get to massive limits easily! If every place took AMEX though, my BoA might not see the light of day Smiley Frustrated but since OP didn't mention the Citi Costco I just put the BoA + BCE combo for context, though its still a good one though!

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went on a 'spree'. You can spree but spree within reason. App for cards that fit your spend/perks.

I only had a Target card and one with a CL at $500 from my bank so I was thin. No HP's in a year.

I apped for cards that worked for my spend habits, bonus, etc.

Apped 6 cards, 4/6.

Discover It, Chase Freedom, BoA Cash Rewards and Cap 1 are my line up now. I may recon the Amex or wait and apply again and that is it for me. Its plenty of credit, a nice mix, emergency back up and fits my spending.

They all have cash back, etc as travel cards just wont work for me at this time. These cards are know to grow nicely as well.

So your GF will have to see what will fit for her. Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where did she get her credit scores from?

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.