Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So my GF has good credit and I'm a rebuilder and don't have advice

tag
Brickbybrick
Regular Contributor

So my GF has good credit and I'm a rebuilder and don't have advice

She has 750s across the board and has ONLY store credit cards lol. 

Nordstrom 7k  Walmart 5k   Target 5k

Which cards should I have her apply for? Discovery, BoA, and Amex Blue Cash back?

Thanks!

5/27/17 Experian: 679 Equifax: 628 TransUnion: 630
Cap1 QS:600 Credit One: 600 Merrick Bank: 550 Amex: 500 JCrew: 250
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So my GF has really good credit and I'm a rebuilder and don't have advice

Well how are your scores? We could probably give you better advice if we knew where you are credit wise.

Any late payments? Negatives on your credit history? The more we know, the more advice we can give.
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job to the GF. 

First question....while I think everyone should have at least one Visa or MC, does she WANT any more ccs? 

If so, for what purpose? Does she want cash back, travel rewards or simply a card for life's unexpected surprises? This will be helpful to narrow down options that will benefit her. 

Message 3 of 30
Brickbybrick
Regular Contributor

Sorry, I'm getting advice on behalf of my GF, she has 750 across the boards and needs real cards. Thanks.

Cash back.

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like she is doing well.....she may not need cards but simply a card. Without knowing her full profile, I would suggest a Visa or MC to get started. Amex and Discover (I'm assuming discovery = discover) are not accepted everywhere. The easiest approval and easiest rewards would be Cap1 QS imo. 

Message 5 of 30
Brickbybrick
Regular Contributor

All three cards are Mastercards but are store cards, except the Walmart which can be used anywhere. I just felt she should have like Disco, BoA, etc.

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoops! Misread that. Well....her profile seems fairly thin, so on that note is suggest discover as they like thin profiles(generally!). Chase also has the freedom card which is similar to discovers cash back program, but they seem stinger with Cli's and they are always a hard pull unless they are auto cli's.

Amex bce is great for gas and groceries. Some may suggest the bcp, but that all depends on how heavy you use the card.

Finally, while those are two solid cards, there are some retailers who don't take amex or discover...even though it's rare. So for a mastercard/visa option is try for a Citi DC card. They tend to prefer thicker files and starting limits tend to be not as generous, but responsible use will help grow their limit.

Those are my suggestions. I tend to like cash back cards with no annual fees, so that's where I came up with those.
Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brickbybrick wrote:

She has 750s across the board and has ONLY store credit cards lol. 

Oops...didn't realize they were MCs....I thought she had ONLY store cards which could only be used in store. 

Message 8 of 30
Brickbybrick
Regular Contributor

2 are store cards and one is a MC, the walmart which she can use anywhere. So should she do like a spree or just go for one?

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your making me nervous for your GF 😐

Not every consumer does or should go on app sprees. In fact, most don't. She seems to be doing fine. I don't feel good about her applying for a bunch of cards she may not really want and/or need. That 750 is not made of steel. Now if she wants to apply for a bunch of cards, that's on her. I wish her luck. 

Imo, just one. 

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.