Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So sad, commence card is ending....

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

So sad, commence card is ending....

So Barclays is ending the Commence card in May, replacing it with the Barclays Reward.    I think most of us here got it as a forced transition from Sallie Mae, and I have never used it, and won't be using the replacement either!

Just hoping that the Rewards card will one day be PCable to Uber (whereas the Commence card was somewhat cobranded).

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: So sad, commence card is ending....

@longtimelurkerwrote:

So Barclays is ending the Commence card in May, replacing it with the Barclays Reward.    I think most of us here got it as a forced transition from Sallie Mae, and I have never used it, and won't be using the replacement either!

Just hoping that the Rewards card will one day be PCable to Uber (whereas the Commence card was somewhat cobranded).

Meh, only keep it around for the less than 11.5% APR

Message 2 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

R.I.P Commence? Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurkerwrote:

So no closure for inactivity after a year? Maybe they lost so many customers in the nerf, they are reluctant to lose more if they can avoid it.

I closed my Sallie a week or two before the conversion.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just been a BT card for me since the switch. Probably will remain so. 

Message 5 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

That didn't last long. Wasn't the Commence more or less the same as a Barclay Rewards anyway?

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091wrote:

That didn't last long. Wasn't the Commence more or less the same as a Barclay Rewards anyway?

I started a post, then deleted it and went to look again. I don't even see Barclay Rewards on their site right now. I swear they change their lineup/cards more than any co out there. In my previous (never posted) post, I complained about the design of their site with the tiles for the cards. When I went back the second time, I saw that you can change to a list view, which is much better for me. But still no Barclay Rewards. Still Ring and lots of Cobranded ______ Rewards, but the old one that looks similar to the Ring isn't up there. And that's what I assume is meant in the lead post. 

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good riddance. Last year they told me I could PC my Commence to the no AF arrival card or the 123 rewards or whatever they call it. I was less than enthused so declined...now neither of those even seem to be an option. The Sallie Mae Rewards was awesome. Anything short of at least 3.5% CB would be of no use to me.
Message 8 of 23
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@kdm31091wrote:

I started a post, then deleted it and went to look again. I don't even see Barclay Rewards on their site right now. I swear they change their lineup/cards more than any co out there. In my previous (never posted) post, I complained about the design of their site with the tiles for the cards. When I went back the second time, I saw that you can change to a list view, which is much better for me. But still no Barclay Rewards. Still Ring and lots of Cobranded ______ Rewards, but the old one that looks similar to the Ring isn't up there. And that's what I assume is meant in the lead post. 

The Barclays Rewards (Mastercard) as been closed to new apps for a couple years now. While I feel for you nerfed Sally Mae, now nefred Commerce cardholders, this is actually good news to me as it means they (probably) won't force convert my Rewards MC into something else for awhile at least. I've had my Rewards MC since 2012, and it's actually a pretty decent card - 2% rewards for gas, groceries & utilities, 1% all else. But the nice thing is how loose Barclays is coding stores as groceries. My Amex BCE gives me 3% on groceries, but it has to be a primary grocery chain like Vons, Safeway, Kroger, etc. Barclays codes any purchase at my nearest Walmart as 2% groceries, as it does for my small town Family Dollar, which if you count canned Chef Boyardee krap as "food" sells a very limited amount of groceries, I use it for household stuff, cleaning supplies, TP, dog food, etc. . And my electric co-op doesn't charge a fee for CC payments, so that utility bill always goes on my Barclays Rewards MC for 2%. You can redeed rewards for a statement credit for any amount over $10.

Message 9 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DaveInAZwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@kdm31091wrote:

The Barclays Rewards (Mastercard) as been closed to new apps for a couple years now. While I feel for you nerfed Sally Mae, now nefred Commerce cardholders, this is actually good news to me as it means they (probably) won't force convert my Rewards MC into something else for awhile at least. I've had my Rewards MC since 2012, and it's actually a pretty decent card - 2% rewards for gas, groceries & utilities, 1% all else. But the nice thing is how loose Barclays is coding stores as groceries. My Amex BCE gives me 3% on groceries, but it has to be a primary grocery chain like Vons, Safeway, Kroger, etc. Barclays codes any purchase at my nearest Walmart as 2% groceries, as it does for my small town Family Dollar, which if you count canned Chef Boyardee krap as "food" sells a very limited amount of groceries, I use it for household stuff, cleaning supplies, TP, dog food, etc. . And my electric co-op doesn't charge a fee for CC payments, so that utility bill always goes on my Barclays Rewards MC for 2%. You can redeed rewards for a statement credit for any amount over $10.

It seems strange to me for an issuer to convert everyone to a card that is no longer open to new applicants.   Has that happened before (as compared to someone doing a PC to an discontinued card, which I know is possible).   Re Rewards, yes, Visa (not Barclays) has a more relaxed definition of groceries than Amex, but at 2% that only matters for those who do not have one of the expanding range of 2% everywhere cards.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.