Reply
Established Member
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎01-27-2008
0

So upset.....

in a nutshell, Did my taxes had enough to pay off credit cards in March. Called credit card companies to find out what my remaining balances are. let them know i was paying off today Smiley Very Happy exciting right? wrote out the checks sent the payments in the mail WALLA im clear right? WRONG!!! i goto babies R us today spend 60.11 pull out the ol credit card and swipe, declined.....hmm swipe again, declined again???? holding up a line at this point, embarresed, cashier says want me to void all of this? sheesh.....i call BRU/chase....it said i had a balance of 90??? and an avail credit or 400, i havent used my card since payoff!!!! get through to customer service. they tell me I had an outstanding 2.00 FINANCE CHARGE! that i was given a late fee for and that April 1, i used my card for 59.00 and its june and a payment hasnt been recieved so i am given ANOTHER late fee!!! i havent recieved ANY statements nor did i  use my card. but all i had to do was pay 18.00 and they will unblock my card. i said NOPE i dont agree to the charges and again wont be useing this card. it only has a 500 limit on it anyways...no courtesy call to say umm did you forget to make a payment? no statements??? how do i go about filing a complaint?

 

I guess i should make it habit that even though paying off a credit card call and make sure its paid off???

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎04-08-2009
0

Re: So upset.....


tongrad wrote:

in a nutshell, Did my taxes had enough to pay off credit cards in March. Called credit card companies to find out what my remaining balances are. let them know i was paying off today Smiley Very Happy exciting right? wrote out the checks sent the payments in the mail WALLA im clear right? WRONG!!! i goto babies R us today spend 60.11 pull out the ol credit card and swipe, declined.....hmm swipe again, declined again???? holding up a line at this point, embarresed, cashier says want me to void all of this? sheesh.....i call BRU/chase....it said i had a balance of 90??? and an avail credit or 400, i havent used my card since payoff!!!! get through to customer service. they tell me I had an outstanding 2.00 FINANCE CHARGE! that i was given a late fee for and that April 1, i used my card for 59.00 and its june and a payment hasnt been recieved so i am given ANOTHER late fee!!! i havent recieved ANY statements nor did i  use my card. but all i had to do was pay 18.00 and they will unblock my card. i said NOPE i dont agree to the charges and again wont be useing this card. it only has a 500 limit on it anyways...no courtesy call to say umm did you forget to make a payment? no statements??? how do i go about filing a complaint?

 

I guess i should make it habit that even though paying off a credit card call and make sure its paid off???


I think you are having a BAD DAY my friendSmiley Sad...wow. It will get betterSmiley Wink Holding up the line at the grocery store is a killer I know you were embarassed in the worst way imaginable. I wish you all the best my friend.

Equifax 787, TransUnion 793, Experian ? FAKO--> Who Cares
Moderator Emerita
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: So upset.....

Ow, sorry to hear this!

First of all, the most important lesson is: always pay online, not by snail mail. When you click through the screens, you'll come up with a confirmation number. I keep a Notepad going with my confirmation numbers for the month. They don't get to mess with me. Don't ever, ever trust or believe that any important payment will work with the US mail.

I had a similar situation when I screwed up my Sears card with the very first payment. (I kept shredding the statements, thinking that they were ads. Yes, I know, I know.) Anyway, I called to get the balance and authorized a draft of my checking account, as this was before I knew how to set up online payments. They would draft, but then it would show as a late again. Went through 2 more times with this, getting madder and madder while they posted a second 30-day late. Finally a supe stepped in and rescued me, took off the second late, and refunded the extra payments.

If you can write down the whole sequence of events, try calling back and explaining what you saw on your end, and can they forgive you the late fee? But as irritating as the late fee is, the most important thing is to confirm that they don't report you as late to the credit bureaus.

I would have paid any amount of late fees if they just hadn't reported that one late. Smiley Sad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Established Contributor
Posts: 645
Registered: ‎10-24-2007
0

Re: So upset.....

You should definitely make a point of checking your accounts online often. Anytime you pay outstanding balances after the statement date you'll have additional finance charges to pay.

 

My advice is PAY THE $18.00!!!!  If you didn't make the charge on April 1 you should file a fraud or identity theft charge.

Member
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎03-29-2009
0

Re: So upset.....

I hear your frustration!

 

I paid my Chase card off last month (online). Just happened to check my statement one last time to make sure it was at $0.00. To my surprise, I had a $1.00 finance charge. Reason stated "variable rate adjustment previous month." So they charged me a flippin $1.00. These credit card companies are reaching for every dollar they can get. Literally!! Grrrr......

 

 

Established Contributor
Posts: 832
Registered: ‎01-16-2008
0

Re: So upset.....

Having seen this before on my own account, I now OVERPAY by about $5.00/mo.  In several instances I've avoided having a $1 - 2 balance show on my account.  This usually can't be done on the CCC's site but if you use billpay through your bank it's easy.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,271
Registered: ‎05-01-2008
0

Re: So upset.....

When I pay online, I always print up my receipt & put it with my paper bill (I never use "online" bill only, I make them send paper!)  Then I have their printed bill to me, my online payment & conf # fold them together & they go in monthly order in their own envelope in my bill basket. 

 

I have become eco-unfriendly in the paper bill aspect, but FICOhappy in the CYA aspect.  I AM the only one to be sure my stuff is paid on time & I have all my documentation to prove it.  I have 5 years worth ofpaper bank statements for payments & everyTax return from 1975 forward.

 

Yeah....I'm a little **bleep** that way!  Smiley Wink  But no one is ever going to surprise my pocketbook again!



Starting Score: 02/2015 TU 709 - EQ 676 - EX 729
Current Score: 02/2015 TU 709 - EQ 676 - EX 729
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 12.19.14

Regular Contributor
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎08-01-2008
0

Re: So upset.....

I had a similar experience after having paid off my Chase Visa. Chase has an option to receive email alerts when you have a payment coming due. That is how I knew I owed them $1.00 even after I had PIF. I promptly paid it off then once the $1.00 payment cleared I called and closed it. It was a measly $300 limit starter card that apparently had some kind of stunted growth because it never grew in 2 1/2 years. I was gonna SD it then decided heck with it I have too many credit cards as it is and I closed and shredded it. That's 2 $300 accounts I've closed in 2 days and I haven't lost a wink of sleep over it.
Established Contributor
Posts: 851
Registered: ‎07-01-2008
0

Re: So upset.....


haulingthescoreup wrote:
First of all, the most important lesson is: always pay online, not by snail mail.

Agreed.I've learned this one as well the hard way...

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,291
Registered: ‎02-26-2008
0

Re: So upset.....


Chris_1970 wrote:
I had a similar experience after having paid off my Chase Visa. Chase has an option to receive email alerts when you have a payment coming due. That is how I knew I owed them $1.00 even after I had PIF. I promptly paid it off then once the $1.00 payment cleared I called and closed it. It was a measly $300 limit starter card that apparently had some kind of stunted growth because it never grew in 2 1/2 years. I was gonna SD it then decided heck with it I have too many credit cards as it is and I closed and shredded it. That's 2 $300 accounts I've closed in 2 days and I haven't lost a wink of sleep over it.
Why would a card charging you interest when you carried a balance be a reason to be unhappy with it?
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.