Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what is the deal with amex 61 day cli

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So what is the deal with amex 61 day cli

We have no ways of knowing that those declined before 61 days wouldn't have been declined at or after 61 days.  Declines have much more to do with credit files than anything else.  Plenty of people get declined after waiting the 61 days.

Message 11 of 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

We have no ways of knowing that those declined before 61 days wouldn't have been declined at or after 61 days.  Declines have much more to do with credit files than anything else.  Plenty of people get declined after waiting the 61 days.

Oh I agree Irish, just stating the portion should be updated imo that you can try again when you hit 61 days if you are declined earlier is all I was stating cause this doesn't hold true anymore.  Before they wouldn't consider you, now they do and if declined prior to the 61 days one must wait 90 additonal days is all I was stating.   Make sense or am I missing something?

edited: below to show what I was referring to..

I was just referring to this part of the document, maybe it can be worded differently?

"If you jumped the gun before the 60 days/6 months rule, the reason for denial is considered ineligibility. If that is the case you can reapply after the original and correct 60day/6month timeline. You do not have to wait an additional 90 days, so the clock doesn't get reset. If you were eligible and got denied due to other factors, then you are ineligible to reapply for another 90 days since the denial date."

Message 12 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Right, but why rush when you do have a better chance after 61 days?

As I said, you aren't guaranteed whether you wait or not. If it is a CLI that is important for you to have, then by all means it could be worth trying before 61 days, keeping in mind you will be waiting longer if declined. However, it's the same thing if you are then declined at 61 days.

Nobody has a crystal ball here, so if the CLI is important you should just go for it -- at the end of the day none of us can tell you what will happen, only speculate.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right, but why rush when you do have a better chance after 61 days?

As I said, you aren't guaranteed whether you wait or not. If it is a CLI that is important for you to have, then by all means it could be worth trying before 61 days, keeping in mind you will be waiting longer if declined. However, it's the same thing if you are then declined at 61 days.

Nobody has a crystal ball here, so if the CLI is important you should just go for it -- at the end of the day none of us can tell you what will happen, only speculate.

You're assuming something that I'm not so sure is true and I highly doubt thats the case.  That's like saying why not just wait a year because you'll have a better chance.  Maybe people want their first CLI sooner than 61 days because it then makes it that much sooner you can go for your second one after the 180 days.

Message 14 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I am not assuming it -- it has been documented, for a very long time, that Amex gives CLI after 61 days.

It is only very recently that people are having success otherwise.

If you are one to chance things more, you may go for it earlier knowing that you could be declined.

If not, you might wait the "traditional" 61 days, and go for it then. You could still be declined.

History shows that Amex typically was making people wait 61 days for the 3x CLI. That's why there is a gigantic thread about it and is quoted constantly as the "61 day" thing. I'm not making it up or assuming. It's a fact that has been demonstrated over and over. The recent development has been that perhaps they have softened the policy, and some have gotten it sooner. One is free to use that data point as they wish -- if they wanna go for it have at it. My only "assumption" is that since history is on your side with the 61 day then, you may likely have a higher chance of being approved at a time when people have typically been approved (61 days), as opposed to beforehand (and I don't see the real purpose in going for it at 57 days or so, I mean, just wait 4 more days, but that's just my take on it). Even 61 days realistically speaking of a very short amount of time for a 3x CLI -- no other issuer tends to do that so soon.

Message 15 of 16
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well I for one. Waited the 61 days. And to be honest was surprised I got the cli. From 3500 to 10500. At time. Fico was only like 665. Still the same 1 baddie. A paid collection. 5 years old. 200 bucks. So sad that can hold score down. But now. In May. I will try for 25k. Hope so. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.