cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So why did fidelity mail me a debit card too?

tag
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

Re: So why did fidelity mail me a debit card too?

@nyancat wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

CMA is basically a checking account, so of course they sent your a debit card.

Fidelity actually waive all ATM fee excluding FTF. This is in contrast to Charles Schwab where they waive only the ATM withdrawl fee but charges no FTF.

An ATM withdrawal is all you really need, who actually checks their balance at an ATM? And very few ATMs charge to check balance. Schwab's lack of FTF is much better than Fidelity's FTF but not check balance fee.

I was confused about the fidelity FTF fee, so I called last week before heading to Mexico. There is no FTF according to the CSR I spoke to (though the website shows 1%) for ATM withdrawals. I tested it out, and there was no FTF on the ATM withdrawal, and they did refund the fee (35 pesos, about 2.35 - I checked and they got it to the penny and rounded up according to the visa website). Maybe the 1% is for check card Visa purchases? I have plenty of no-ftf reward CCs for this, so that is not an issue.

So this is my go to ATM card for all foreign withdrawls.

Only small issue is how long it takes to xfer $ from my WF bank account. Requested on Saturday, and it did not clear for withdrawal until the next Saturday. Just need to plan ahead.

TU - 850 (BOA TU08 FICO/Barclay TU08), 831 (CK FAKO)
EQ - 870 (CITI FICO), 848 (ATFCU FICO), 831 (CK FAKO)
EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 21 of 46
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

So you have to open a brokerage account along with the CMA???  I thought you were able to just open the CMA on its own.

I'm planning on opening a CMA with Fidelity tomorrow and get that all squared away early so I'll be ready to app for the Amex card next month on June 23.  I can't wait to obtain the Fidelity Amex, it's really the last card out there that I want that fits my spending needs.  I'm itching to app now, but opening the CMA will hopefully calm that itch for this month so I can hold out until next month (I'm waiting until my recent accounts age a bit more).

When I opened the CMA, I had to open brokerage or another account (don't remember what it was) I am fine with more than one as long as they don't have any maintainer fee or minimum balance fee or whatever like that

Good to know!  If I have to open an account that has fees then I'll have to sadly pass on the Amex.  I suppose I'll find out tomorrow!  Smiley Happy

Definitely agree. I'd appreciate if you can come. Back here and let me know once you find out.. Since I was kinda in a rush to open the card and that account. Didn't really dig into it too much.. >.< I only know CMA doesn't have any annoying fee.

Sure thing!  

Lots of good information in this thread.

Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 46
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

who actually checks their balance at an ATM? 

Plenty do.  Never assume that "I don't" = "no one does".  The universe doesn't revolve around any one single person.

Message 23 of 46
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

So you have to open a brokerage account along with the CMA???  I thought you were able to just open the CMA on its own.

I'm planning on opening a CMA with Fidelity tomorrow and get that all squared away early so I'll be ready to app for the Amex card next month on June 23.  I can't wait to obtain the Fidelity Amex, it's really the last card out there that I want that fits my spending needs.  I'm itching to app now, but opening the CMA will hopefully calm that itch for this month so I can hold out until next month (I'm waiting until my recent accounts age a bit more).

When I opened the CMA, I had to open brokerage or another account (don't remember what it was) I am fine with more than one as long as they don't have any maintainer fee or minimum balance fee or whatever like that

Good to know!  If I have to open an account that has fees then I'll have to sadly pass on the Amex.  I suppose I'll find out tomorrow!  Smiley Happy

Definitely agree. I'd appreciate if you can come. Back here and let me know once you find out.. Since I was kinda in a rush to open the card and that account. Didn't really dig into it too much.. >.< I only know CMA doesn't have any annoying fee.

Sure thing!  

Lots of good information in this thread.

Smiley Happy

Thanks! And yea, I am glad that I asked the question or I would never find out how great that debit card is! Smiley Very Happy I m going to wait for a bit before I activate it though.. Need to have some money in the account before I do so..

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 24 of 46
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Opened a Cash Management Account today.  I originally called into Fidelity, but the nice CSR bascially just directed me to the online application form.  I selected the option to just open a CMA and not the CMA + Brokerage account.  The gentleman I spoke with assured me there were no fees and that there would be no HP on my credit report (I hope he's right!).  Very easy process!

Now I have to sit on my hands for over a month until I'm allowing myself to app for the Fidelity Amex (June 23 or bust!).

Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 46
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

Opened a Cash Management Account today.  I originally called into Fidelity, but the nice CSR bascially just directed me to the online application form.  I selected the option to just open a CMA and not the CMA + Brokerage account.  The gentleman I spoke with assured me there were no fees and that there would be no HP on my credit report (I hope he's right!).  Very easy process!

Now I have to sit on my hands for over a month until I'm allowing myself to app for the Fidelity Amex (June 23 or bust!).

Smiley Happy

Cool I am looking to app for this card in October if I can resurrect my ex score to right around 800

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 26 of 46
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Smiley Happy

Cool I am looking to app for this card in October if I can resurrect my ex score to right around 800

Good luck!  I'm sure you'd be approved right now, but I admire your restraint. Smiley Wink

Message 27 of 46
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Smiley Happy

Good luck!  I'm sure you'd be approved right now, but I admire your restraint. Smiley Wink

I am going to play it really safe ,have my HP from last year reach one year anniversaries.I also am contemplating picking up CSP along with fidelity amex. So need everything looking cleanest it possibly can 

Message 28 of 46
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Smiley Happy

I am going to play it really safe ,have my HP from last year reach one year anniversaries.I also am contemplating picking up CSP along with fidelity amex. So need everything looking cleanest it possibly can 

That's prudent!  I think you're really playing it smart.  I unfortunately don't have that kind of patience.

The Fidelity Amex will be the fifth (and FINAL!) TL I will have opened within the past year...of course, this is contingent on approval (fingers crossed).  My scores are in the 770s/780s.  My Experian currently has 4 inquires, three within the past six months and one over a year old, but one of those recent inquires will age to 7 months when I actually apply, which is why I'm waiting.

Message 29 of 46
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Smiley Happy

That's prudent!  I think you're really playing it smart.  I unfortunately don't have that kind of patience.

The Fidelity Amex will be the fifth (and FINAL!) TL I will have opened within the past year...of course, this is contingent on approval (fingers crossed).  My scores are in the 770s/780s.  My Experian currently has 4 inquires, three within the past six months and one over a year old, but one of those recent inquires will age to 7 months when I actually apply, which is why I'm waiting.

Well this is what I look at,I really could use fidelity amex now but I can live with qs for summer. Once October hits I am going on pretty big spree hope I can get all four cards. Plan is amex fidelity CSP Sallie Mae and cash+, hoping to have all three scores near 800 to be safe. I am just worried what creditors believe "too many accounts opened recently" is. is it one year is it two years or even longer ?

Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.