Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft Pull for Prequal?

tag
DrDG
Established Member

Soft Pull for Prequal?

I just wanted to verify that prequalifying does NOT affect your credt when applying for CC? I was going to give it a try with Capital One, Barclaycard and Discover, but how can I know for a fact that they will NOT do a hard pull. I don't want to lose points. I'm trying to rebuild. 

Rebuilding with goals of reaching 750.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Soft Pull for Prequal?

@DrDG wrote:

I just wanted to verify that prequalifying does NOT affect your credt when applying for CC? I was going to give it a try with Capital One, Barclaycard and Discover, but how can I know for a fact that they will NOT do a hard pull. I don't want to lose points. I'm trying to rebuild. 

It's verified.

If it says anywhere on the page that it will not affect your credit, It's a Soft Pull.

Message 2 of 16
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@DrDG wrote:

As long as they're not asking for your full social, you should be fine. 

Also, they'll mention on the site something like "I understand this is not a credit application and will not affect my credit score" or something similar.

Message 3 of 16
DrDG
Established Member

It does say that, but it IS asking for my full SS# and THAT is what's making nervous.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One? You're in the wrong place. Go to website and click on credit cards then go to " find the right card" it'll be name, address and last four

Message 5 of 16
DrDG
Established Member

Would you (if you wouldn't mind) please post a link?

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 16
DrDG
Established Member

Thank you so much!

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did it work?

Message 9 of 16
DrDG
Established Member

Oh boy....I did it! says "Congratulations! We THINK you qualify" (I love how they say we think lol). However, I wonder if it ever says we DONT think you're qualified.... (Thanks again for the link)

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.