Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft pull CLI with Discover after a BT?

tag
Budoka
New Contributor

Soft pull CLI with Discover after a BT?

Are there any data points about Discover giving a CLI after a BT has been put on the card? I'm contemplating taking advantage of an offer but it would ding me pretty badly in terms of utilization. I know utilization has no memory so not a big deal but wondering if I should wait until my next statement closes and see if I get a CLI before doing a BT.

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Soft pull CLI with Discover after a BT?

I could tell you that when i had a balance transfer balance with them i wasnt able to get anything higher than $500 CLI every 60/90 days. When i finally paid it off and then started using it for everything and paying in full i started getting ridiculous CLI numbers. Discover works different for everyone just as a FYI just wanted to let you know how it worked for me.

Message 2 of 14
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I have a thread on Disco but, a recent post showed that someone had put a BT on their card and made several payments on it and ended up getting a 15K CLI after it was paid off w/o requesting one.  

Message 3 of 14
Budoka
New Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

I have a thread on Disco but, a recent post showed that someone had put a BT on their card and made several payments on it and ended up getting a 15K CLI after it was paid off w/o requesting one.  

Thanks for the info. But that was after the BT was paid off right? My concern is that Discover is my lowest limit card so a BT is really going to push my utilization up quite high temporarily. They've been good until now about giving me consistent increases so if that were to continue I wouldn't mind because my CL would be increasing while I am aggressively paying down the balance. But if they don't give increases when a BT is on the card I would hesitate to do it. I know one can never know for certain with these kinds of things but just wanted to get a general idea of the experiences of others on the board before deciding.

Message 4 of 14
Budoka
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I could tell you that when i had a balance transfer balance with them i wasnt able to get anything higher than $500 CLI every 60/90 days. When i finally paid it off and then started using it for everything and paying in full i started getting ridiculous CLI numbers. Discover works different for everyone just as a FYI just wanted to let you know how it worked for me.

Thanks for the info. That is good to know and sounds consistent with the other comment on the thread.

Message 5 of 14
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I don't think a lot of posts for Disco have specified whether or not they continued to get CLI's while carrying a balance.  Wether from spend or BT it shouldn't really matter.  It's going to really depend on what all is in your profile and whether they like it or not.  The other option is to call the number in my thread for a CLI and take a HP and specify what limit you're interested in and see if they accept or counter.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my experience I would definitely wait before pulling the trigger for a hard pull for a CLI with discover. Just alone on the fact of all this SP success on the forums lately. In approx 17 months I was able to grow my discover from 3500 to 26k all on SP increases.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I accepted a BT offer a few weeks ago. A week later I hit the luv button and got a $500 CLI for a SP.
Message 8 of 14
Onthe27thday
Regular Contributor

I did a balance transfer and havent paid it off yet. I was at about a 60% utilization and still got a 3k cli 61 days after my last one. It doesn't seem to matter for me so I wouldn't worry much about it.

Starting Score (Oct '13): 473 (EX), Current Score: MyFICO EX: 713 EQ: 715 TU: 717, Goal Score: 740 & above. Capital One Quicksilver: $2250, Discover IT: $9500, Chase Amazon Store Card: $2600, Care Credit: $15000, Barclays Rewards: $1850 BCE: 20,000, PenFed Visa Sig: 7,000 NFCU cashRewards $24,600
Message 9 of 14
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

That's definitely a YMMV situation. Since owning my discover card from June '16, I've done several BTs ($2K - $3K) and PIF's each month. Guess what? My card has only grown by $2,500. AS another data point, they are officailly my lowest lne of credit.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.