Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft pulls for CLI's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Soft pulls for CLI's

From your previous experience what service/bank/company does soft pulls for CLI's?

i have a best buy card (HSBC Smiley Mad ) and i have yet to have a CLI since opening the card in November of 2006! It is currently at $500. It is PIF and never late by even a day, and is currently reporting a zero balance.

Message Edited by Alexandria on 11-12-2008 09:32 PM
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Soft pulls for CLI's

I will preface this with YMMV, but EVERY single time I have asked HSBC for a CLI, they have told me they were going to review my credit and ask my permission. Since I didn't mind if I were to receive a hard pull at that time, I have always said Yes, and I have not received a hard inquiry yet.

I asked for increases on my BB MC and Orchard CB yesterday and even though they said they would have to review my credit, there is no pull soft or hard on my reports. I use a daily monitoring service and there are no hard pulls. I checked the backdoors of each bureau after I finished calling for increases and none of them even softed me. I think they may use the account history more than anything.

If it is worth it to you to try for an increase and it has been a considerable amount of time since you received the card/increase, then I would tell them it is ok to review it if the inquiry isn't too much of a big deal. You may luck out and not get a hard inquiry as well, and quite possibly an increase.

Message 4 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah u request every 6 months online i believe as long as you dont have to fill out a detailed form it is a soft pull
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

so u think best buy may be a soft pull?
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will preface this with YMMV, but EVERY single time I have asked HSBC for a CLI, they have told me they were going to review my credit and ask my permission. Since I didn't mind if I were to receive a hard pull at that time, I have always said Yes, and I have not received a hard inquiry yet.

I asked for increases on my BB MC and Orchard CB yesterday and even though they said they would have to review my credit, there is no pull soft or hard on my reports. I use a daily monitoring service and there are no hard pulls. I checked the backdoors of each bureau after I finished calling for increases and none of them even softed me. I think they may use the account history more than anything.

If it is worth it to you to try for an increase and it has been a considerable amount of time since you received the card/increase, then I would tell them it is ok to review it if the inquiry isn't too much of a big deal. You may luck out and not get a hard inquiry as well, and quite possibly an increase.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should probably add that I have 3 HSBC accounts, DH has 3 and between my calling to ask for increases on each of them and no hards yet, I feel the chances are relatively good. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 13
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

what do you mean, you checked the back doors?

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:
what do you mean, you checked the back doors?

I backdoored TU due to a recent decline. 

To get a free TU report due to AA,  which shows your softs go here:

http://annualcreditreport.transunion.com/tu/disclosure/currentSituation.jsp

I have a recent report number already for Experian, so I can input to update report here:

https://www.experian.com/consumer/cac/InvalidateSession.do?code=DISPUTE&channel=8348

If you were denied because of EX report, use this link:

http://www.experian.com/reportaccess/index.html

For EQ if you have CWG you can see your soft inquiries by requesting an updated report daily if you want to check as you are allowed 1 pull a day. I have this service, so not really a back door for me, but it does show softs pulls if you are interested in those.

If denied for AA on EQ you can request report here:

https://aa.econsumer.equifax.com/aad/landing.ehtml

So, this is probably the easiest way to receive an updated report if you have had a recent decline. Of course it isn't something you can use everyday, but it's helpful to know you can get them online. I was sending off for reports by mail for a good while when I would get the letters for the denials. They have some other reasons listed to see if you are eligible to receive one.

Message 7 of 13
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Every single time I try to use EQ back door, and every year when I try to pull my free annual report, they tell me they cannot deliver to me online.  I always answer the questions correctly.  It is very annoying.
WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 8 of 13
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From your previous experience what service/bank/company does soft pulls for CLI's?

i have a best buy card (HSBC Smiley Mad ) and i have yet to have a CLI since opening the card in November of 2006! It is currently at $500. It is PIF and never late by even a day, and is currently reporting a zero balance.

Gauranteed softs: Amex, BOA, Capital One

Gauranteed hards: Chase, NFCU, Citi (if it provides a form or is not instant). 

As always, YMMV. I'd note that auto-CLIs are not a hard. 

Here we go again...
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gauranteed softs: Amex, BOA, Capital One

Gauranteed hards: Chase, NFCU, Citi (if it provides a form or is not instant). 

As always, YMMV. I'd note that auto-CLIs are not a hard. 

so the "Love" buttons are almost always going to be a soft then

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.