cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some of Citi's cards are very appealing, but...

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Some of Citi's cards are very appealing, but...

...the conversion rate from TY Points to cashback is pathetic.  I mean, I like the bonus categories on the TY Preferred/Premier card, but TY Points don't seem to be good for much of anything. Are there any relationship bonuses that give a better conversion rate?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Some of Citi's cards are very appealing, but...

The only Citi card that interests me is the Citi Dividend Platinum Select, as a 5% rotating category card. And even then, for my spending categories, its not as useful as the Discover IT or Chase Freedom. Basically what interests me about it is 5% at Drugstores for one quarter a year.

Citi's signup bonuses are still free cash, though.

I'd rather get a Bank of America Better Balance Rewards, a Upromise.com card (online shopping), or a Huntington Voice card. Or wait for the US Bank American Express cards coming this Fall.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

The only Citi card that interests me is the Citi Dividend Platinum Select, as a 5% rotating category card. And even then, for my spending categories, its not as useful as the Discover IT or Chase Freedom. Basically what interests me about it is 5% at Drugstores for one quarter a year.

Still?

Message 3 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

...the conversion rate from TY Points to cashback is pathetic.  I mean, I like the bonus categories on the TY Preferred/Premier card, but TY Points don't seem to be good for much of anything. Are there any relationship bonuses that give a better conversion rate?

Mortgage or student loan checks are 1:1 and the underlying vehicle is optional!

Message 4 of 10
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

Interesting. Are HELOCs considered mortgage loans?

Message 5 of 10
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Citi's signup bonuses are still free cash, though.

I'd rather get a Bank of America Better Balance Rewards, a Upromise.com card (online shopping), or a Huntington Voice card. Or wait for the US Bank American Express cards coming this Fall.

Drugstores is the only decent bonus category on the Dividend.  Other than that, it's a useless card.

As for the rest, I'm not in Huntington's service area (I'm in Florida), the Upromise is too gimmicky for my taste, and I have no interest in "fake" Amexes.  Thanks for playing. Next!

Message 6 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

You just ask for a mortgage loan check.  They ask you for the bank name.  They send a check, to YOU, with the bank you named as payee.  If by mistake you gave them your checking account bank, and in another unfortunate mistake deposit the check there, well, these things happen.

Message 7 of 10
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

You just ask for a mortgage loan check.  They ask you for the bank name.  They send a check, to YOU, with the bank you named as payee.  If by mistake you gave them your checking account bank, and in another unfortunate mistake deposit the check there, well, these things happen.

Nice, hehehe...

Message 8 of 10
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Still?

Well, I shop at CVS almost every day. And sometimes 3 or more times a day. Heck I've got over 30 things I want to buy from there today Smiley Wink  (yes, 30+. Though I might settle for 29)

CVS stores grow like weeds. They crowd out all the smaller convenience stores and then you're forced to use them. In some places they also sell alcohol and crowd out the Liquor stores too.

Of course, the one quarter that the Citi Dividend works for Drugstores just ended yesterday. I couldn't apply for the card because I applied for all my cards in 2013 plus ended the year with a huge increase in limits due to CLI requests, all on a sub-12 month AAoA (it just turned 12 months now for the first time ever). At least its still has a signup bonus. 

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 9 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Still?

Well, I shop at CVS almost every day. And sometimes 3 or more times a day. Heck I've got over 30 things I want to buy from there today Smiley Wink  (yes, 30+. Though I might settle for 29)

CVS stores grow like weeds. They crowd out all the smaller convenience stores and then you're forced to use them. In some places they also sell alcohol and crowd out the Liquor stores too.

Of course, the one quarter that the Citi Dividend works for Drugstores just ended yesterday. I couldn't apply for the card because I applied for all my cards in 2013 plus ended the year with a huge increase in limits due to CLI requests, all on a sub-12 month AAoA (it just turned 12 months now for the first time ever). At least its still has a signup bonus. 

OK, I was misinterpreting the reason for the interest.   Yes, I too go to CVS regularly, but with the recent change, I will be able to go to just one rather than hunting around for those with certain items in stock.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.