cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some of you have high scores and credit limits. What gives?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Some of you have high scores and credit limits. What gives?

I had some credit misadventures during my college years, but pretty much fully recovered shortly after graduating and finally being able to make some money working.

For Fico scoring, open up a few credit cards (secured initially), use them and pay them off timely with periodic CLIs and you'll notice your score consistently increase.  Throw in any kind of fixed loan (student, line of credit, mortgage or auto) with a good payment history, and your score wlll easily be in the mid 700s irrespective of income or anything else.

The key is to avoid derogs of any kind.

Message 21 of 27
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Smug,

I'm guessing you used the NFCU as leverage to get other high CL cards.  NFCU is ridiculously generous.  Too bad not everyone get can in Smiley Sad

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 22 of 27
SoCalBound
Contributor

The people who can get into NFCU make me so jealous.  Smiley Very Happy

Zync NPSL, BCP ($2000), Chase United ($2000) Chase Amazon ($1500), Chase Freedom ($3000), Discover More ($2000), Paypal Extras ($5000), Citi Forward ($2000), Orchard $2000, Amazon ($5000)
Pre-App Scores: TU98 779, TU04 797, EQ 682, EX 788 (Amex) 8/12
Message 23 of 27
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

The people who can get in with nfcu earned it.
In my case I'm lucky my husband survived what he went through as there was an average survival rate of 25% for his job function.
For this reason I'm not jealous of anyone who is a member, including myself.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 24 of 27
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

@Cellice wrote:

What I've discovered the Fico score is more like a game. If you are not actively playing then you are not going to be Fico Fit.  If you look at how the fico score is created its easy to game yourself into a good score.

Yeah, it is simple to game the system.  Get credit.  Pay on time.  Who knew it was that easy...

Message 25 of 27
SoCalBound
Contributor

Oh, please dont get me wrong, I darn well think they earned it too. In fact I think they deserve so much more during and after service. I work with the homeless and anytime I see a homeless vet, it saddens and angers me. Im envious of their credit union (superficially) but more so their courage and strength to do what they do.

Zync NPSL, BCP ($2000), Chase United ($2000) Chase Amazon ($1500), Chase Freedom ($3000), Discover More ($2000), Paypal Extras ($5000), Citi Forward ($2000), Orchard $2000, Amazon ($5000)
Pre-App Scores: TU98 779, TU04 797, EQ 682, EX 788 (Amex) 8/12
Message 26 of 27
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
The people who can get in with nfcu earned it.
In my case I'm lucky my husband survived what he went through as there was an average survival rate of 25% for his job function.
For this reason I'm not jealous of anyone who is a member, including myself.

+1

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.