Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone please talk me down.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone please talk me down.....

Lost control after getting approval for a lowly American Dreamcard and went on apping spree.  

(Banging head on desk).  

Now in lovely limbo for Home Depot and Lowe's cards, but received 7-10 day messages after online approval, so my anxious watching/waiting is likely in vain...

Was making slow, but steady progress....why, oh why, do we app spree......

(Banging head again)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Someone please talk me down.....

lol, welcome to the forums.

Where do you want to go with your credit? Both your overall credit profile (FICO scores and reports) and individual credit wants/ needs? Do you have a plan on how to reach these goals? And do you have this plan written down somewhere that you can refer to as often as necessary?

I took myself out of the credit market twice --once for 5 months, once for a year --while waiting to get to an optimum place. The only way that I hung in there, especially since I read 100+ posts on the CC board every day, was to write it all out on a Notepad note and save it to my desktop. I read this stuff every single time I logged on, and it reminded me of what my goals and my plans for achieving them were.

It is so, so easy to get swept up in impulsive apps. A card gets hot here on the forums, or you're in the dumps and a pre-approval arrives, or a co-worker is waving around some shiny new plastic, anything. That's why I think that it is absolutely critical to come up with your own plan, have it written out, and refer to it as often as needed, in order to stay on the right track.

In the meantime, good luck with your pending apps. They might not have been what you needed to be doing right now, but if either or both are approved, they'll start adding clean credit history to your reports.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Someone please talk me down.....

Sage advise.  Thanks!

If I had spent as much time strategising as I have getting worked into a frenzy (ooooh...what about that one!)

I would be moving ahead instead of getting dinged for inquiries.

Slow and steady....slow and steady...keep on keeping the good newer accounts in good shape and wait for the old paid baddies to fall away.....

This is a great forum.  I'm glad I stumbled across it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.