Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone somewhere got HACKED!

tag
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Someone somewhere got HACKED!

My wife woke me up this morning to tell me she received an alert from Capital One that an 85 dollar charge showed up on her SD'd Platinum card.

i grabbed the iPad from the nightstand and looked up her account. Lo and behold there was a charge from 24houranswers.com along with a $249 charge with Amtrak.com the previous day.

That card has been in the Safe for the 7 months she has had it. She has taken it out and charged a grand total of 162.71 over 7 months spread out over 8 transactions just to keep it active.

Capital One was very gracious and cancelled the card immediately, but I'm racking my brain trying to figure this one out

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Someone somewhere got HACKED!

Good luck figuring it out.

Last year I had a late night $500 ATM withdrawal from my checking account...  BECU had already caught it and refunded the money before I had woke up and checked my bank accounts as I do each morning.

A tricky theft to figure out... card was still in my possession.

I later found out mine was part of a "ATM skimmer" scam that hit people for hundreds of thousands in ATM thefts.  They stole my swipe somewhere... where I have no idea.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@woodyman100 wrote:

My wife woke me up this morning to tell me she received an alert from Capital One that an 85 dollar charge showed up on her SD'd Platinum card.

i grabbed the iPad from the nightstand and looked up her account. Lo and behold there was a charge from 24houranswers.com along with a $249 charge with Amtrak.com the previous day.

That card has been in the Safe for the 7 months she has had it. She has taken it out and charged a grand total of 162.71 over 7 months spread out over 8 transactions just to keep it active.

Capital One was very gracious and cancelled the card immediately, but I'm racking my brain trying to figure this one out

Happened to me a couple of times over the years.

On a side note my Netflix account was hacked the other day. I wouldn't have known but one of the bozos using it changed the language to Porteguese and set up a profile.

Not too bright. One phone call later and their movie night was wrecked....Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 22
elim
Senior Contributor

all of my cards have alerts set for any charges over $1 (great for SD'd cards)

while i'm picking my purchases up from the counters i get the standard Samsung whistle from my pocket so it's pretty fast.

sorry to hear about the dirtbags getting your info...  has to really suck.

Message 4 of 22
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

What's worse is that no matter how much we tighten security there's always going to be that one person. At least you caught it. This is why we have fraud protection on cards Smiley Happy
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 22
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@woodyman100 wrote:

Happened to me a couple of times over the years.

On a side note my Netflix account was hacked the other day. I wouldn't have known but one of the bozos using it changed the language to Porteguese and set up a profile.

Not too bright. One phone call later and their movie night was wrecked....Smiley Very Happy

Portuguese? That is a story I want to hear..

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

while i'm picking my purchases up from the counters i get the standard Samsung whistle from my pocket so it's pretty fast.

Great idea!!

Message 7 of 22
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@elim wrote:

I love that Chase and Amex alert me about a millionth of a second after the swipe. Barclays takes about 2-3 days on average. They need to fix something there. Barclays could probably save a ton of money on fraud losses by using a Chase like system.

Message 8 of 22
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

that sux op saddly though we prob wont find out who for another few months, also woodyman 100 it depens on how obv it is w/ barclays, someone tried to charge 2400 in jet fuel in china to my barclay card and they flagged it right away, i had a text, and email seconds apart  and they put my account into limited view on their site so i couldn't see all the info, i called and told them unfort, no i dont own a jet, know anyone that does and that i haven't been to china 
@woodyman100 wrote:

@elim wrote:

I love that Chase and Amex alert me about a millionth of a second after the swipe. Barclays takes about 2-3 days on average. They need to fix something there. Barclays could probably save a ton of money on fraud losses by using a Chase like system.

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Skimmer got my Navy card a few months ago. Scammers were at Kroger 100+ miles from me Thanksgiving day with about 400 something and it was declined. They made several small purchases before, One looked like a tank of fuel. I would think if that was the case there would be a video of the tag on the car.

OP, you said they bought a amtrak ticket, I assume one shows ID or something, I have never traveled by Amtrak. I know the ticket has a name so I wonder how aggressivly they track the trail. From what I have seen it seems alot of these card scammers buy stuff for themselfs and dont seem too bright (although bright enough to scam our CC info!) and it dosent seem like it would be too hard to track some of them.

Do they (the cc company that takes the hit) go after them?

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.