Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something I Notice About Amax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something I Notice About Amax

It's not widely accepted at stores like Visa & Mastercard. I was out shopping this weekend an 2 stores i was in didn't take American Express . They where small neighborhood stores but just a observation.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Something I Notice About Amax

I haven't noticed this where I live, but I'm not doubting you. However, I do know Amex charges merchants more for transaction fees than Visa and MC do. 

Message 2 of 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

+1

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to buy lunch today at my job the guy was like sorry sir only Visa Or MasterCard lol. I was kind of embarrassed LOL

Message 4 of 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

lots of places don't take american express.  especially where i live.  off the top of my head, in our area, only starbucks.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with your post about AMEX not being as widely accepted as Visa and MC.  However, it seems like I notice that it is being accepted at more places now than in recent years.  Maybe due to co-branding?

Message 6 of 11
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

I get smoothies, and also a burger in a drive through. (if I wanted one)

Every single Dept store in the world. Every airline, every mid to nice restaurant, every hotel motel, every grocery store, every gas station.

I just can't figure how you guys are missing this. I run into the occasional "mom and pop",  but that is the exception not the rule.

This just covers home. I travel a lot for pleasure and might run into an occasional ski-lift or something , but I just never have to pull my other cards out. I should state that my goal is to use it for all my purchases, from the very largest to the smallest. I just don't remember the last time I had to pull out another card. If I couldn't do this, I wouldn't  be using it, which I have for many years.

I have to say that embarrassment comes easily if all it takes is pulling out a card that isn't available at a particular site. I just say "oh really,,,,,," in a questioning tone, as if AMex has denied them as a merchant for some horrible indiscretion.

Oh well, occasionally I read a post like this and I even notice a few of the same people make these statements that would seem that they out of the whole world can't find a place to use an AMex card. I guess it may be the difference in where you spend time and money, but it does strike me odd since I live off my card..

CI

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's better than used to be ...  the small business places does not want to take Amex because of their fees are higher than Visa and MC is true. 

Not only Amex Card, they don't want to take Discover Card also.  Do you know the store calls  "Everything 99 Cents Only Store" ?    http://www.99only.com/       This store does not take Amex Card, but they takes Discover Card.  I have used my Discover More at this store before but I won't do that any more, because this store does not fall in to the Grocery Store Category under their rewards program.

Anyway, if you want to use your Amex Card, you need to shop at large grocery stores, online, and etc.

Message 8 of 11
MattH
Senior Contributor

Because I know AMEX and Discover charge retailers more, and because I know big companies have a lot more negotiating leverage, when shopping with local small businesses I use only MC or VISA, reserving my AMEX for purchases from big companies.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 9 of 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

Small/local businesses appreciate card holders like you.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.