cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Somewhat of an AmEx dilemma, at least for me anyway....

tag
tryme
Regular Contributor

Somewhat of an AmEx dilemma, at least for me anyway....

I've been checking the AmEx prequalifer for a while now. A true AmEx credit card is the only type of card I lack in my credit profile. I have the BBVA Compass cobranded AmEx. I've been waiting patiently to apply for an AmEx card. Back in January 2015, I applied for the BCE, only to be denied. I should have reconned, but did not. Today I tried the AmEx prequalifier and was surprised to see this result:

We have found the following pre-qualified Card
offers for you. These offers are only available here. We invite you to apply for one today.
Please note: Identification of pre-qualified offers may have included a review of your
credit history that was not based on your most current credit bureau data.

American Express Gold Card
NEW Benefits
Gold Card from American Express
Amex EveryDay Credit Card
Amex EveryDay® Credit Card
American Express Green Card
American Express® Green Card

My current scores according to this site:    EQ 705    TU 721    EX 718          I have about 5-7 inquires on each.          My Chap7 BK  falls off my reports at the end of next month.     CL range from $1K (Citi DC) to $10K (Venture and Venture One).    Overall UTIL 15%.    I would be applying for the Everyday Credit card with no annual fee.

As I type this, I'm telling myself to wait, at least until the BK falls off. But I would really like to hear from the group of people who have helped me so much these past couple years!! Smiley Happy  Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Somewhat of an AmEx dilemma, at least for me anyway....

@tryme wrote:

I've been checking the AmEx prequalifer for a while now. A true AmEx credit card is the only type of card I lack in my credit profile. I have the BBVA Compass cobranded AmEx. I've been waiting patiently to apply for an AmEx card. Back in January 2015, I applied for the BCE, only to be denied. I should have reconned, but did not. Today I tried the AmEx prequalifier and was surprised to see this result:

We have found the following pre-qualified Card
offers for you. These offers are only available here. We invite you to apply for one today.
Please note: Identification of pre-qualified offers may have included a review of your
credit history that was not based on your most current credit bureau data.

American Express Gold Card
NEW Benefits
Gold Card from American Express
Amex EveryDay Credit Card
Amex EveryDay® Credit Card
American Express Green Card
American Express® Green Card

My current scores according to this site:    EQ 705    TU 721    EX 718          I have about 5-7 inquires on each.          My Chap7 BK  falls off my reports at the end of next month.     CL range from $1K (Citi DC) to $10K (Venture and Venture One).    Overall UTIL 15%.    I would be applying for the Everyday Credit card with no annual fee.

As I type this, I'm telling myself to wait, at least until the BK falls off. But I would really like to hear from the group of people who have helped me so much these past couple years!! Smiley Happy  Thanks in advance!

as far as whether you should apply or not, i'll let others weigh in, i have no idea on the BK thing. I will say real quick, to try the credit card match tool (google) to see if you can get a better signup bonus. i believe you can leave out your ss# if you prefer and still get the offer links. the amex site will usually not have the best offer available

Message 2 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

By waiting till the end of next month you'd only be helping your own chances of approval. Just IMO.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

When does the BK fall off and the rest of profile is?   NVM end of month i see 

Wait it out the offers will still be there

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was Amex in your BK? And what was the main reason for the 1st denial?  That often holds the clue...

Message 5 of 8
tryme
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the imput, OmarGB9

And thank you, SunriseEarth for the suggestion.

Message 6 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

I was able to get back in with AMEX when my BK was still reporting and 8 years old.   EX was a 672.

Since you're so close to your BK falling off, why not wait?   You could also try calling EX to see if they'd be willing to exclude the BK at this point.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

If it were me, I would just wait until the BK fell off, and then you'll be able to get pretty much any Amex product you want.

I'll also add that if you're looking at the Gold, instead just get the PRG (Preferred Rewards Gold), since the AF is waived the first year anyway, and the PRG has a really nice sign up bonus that the Gold doesn't have.  You can always downgrade next year.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.