cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Son wants cash for Christmas- How to benefit from a rewards/travel card standpoint

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Son wants cash for Christmas- How to benefit from a rewards/travel card standpoint

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh maybe I can redeem myself here. While Costco no longer accepts American Express, Sam's Club now does.

No need for redemption, Pooka... you've helped so many people on here you'll always be tops in my book.  Smiley Very Happy

+1

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 21 of 30
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Son wants cash for Christmas- How to benefit from a rewards/travel card standpoint

When the tree is green, cash is kingSmiley Happy. Maybe convince son to then buy some giftcardsSmiley Wink
Message 22 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Depending how much you are talking about, I think a V/MC gift card is pretty equivalent to cash and is somewhat safer.   Even without fee waivers, a card up to $500 costs  around $4-6

Message 23 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Depending how much you are talking about, I think a V/MC gift card is pretty equivalent to cash and is somewhat safer.   Even without fee waivers, a card up to $500 costs  around $4-6

For some purposes it might be; it really depends on the recipient and what he plans on doing with it.  GCs also tend to be a PITA when you get down to the last few dollars unless you know the 'tricks', and there are some times I really just prefer cash... not often, but it does happen.

If the OP's son is interested in saving up for a larger purchase, I would strongly consider giving actual cash instead of a GC, since it's much easier to add cash to an existing savings than to keep up with a physical card long-term.  Also, if the OP's son is saving for a purchase that will cost more than the GC ordering online could be tricky as well... not impossible, just not as straight-forward as a cash gift. 

As for safety, if a large cash gift is given the recipient only has to carry what is required for any given purchase (or can put it in the bank), where with a GC you basically have the entire amount in your pocket, and unless good records are kept you risk losing any remaining value if it's lost or stolen.

This is one of those cases where the parent (hopefully) has an idea of how the gift will be used, and will know how to best deliver it.  This is probably the only time where points/miles would be pretty far down my list of concerns... assuming I otherwise had the cash available I personally wouldn't let my own concern for 'perks' overshadow the gift itself.  Of course the OP will have to decide what's right for his/her situation.

Just my 2¢.  Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about if the OP used the card with Plastiq to pay the rent/mortgage and then in turn take the cash they would use to pay the mortgage/rent and give to the son?

You could use this method with a car payment as well and also many other bills.

This is assuming the OP doesn't already use a CC to pay for these items.

(And I too know very little on Plastiq I just have read some things... so apologies in advance if this is crazy and would never work)
Message 25 of 30
Gmood1
Super Contributor

How bout open a new bank account?😉
http://www.bankcheckingsavings.com/fund-a-bank-account-with-your-credit-card/
No guarantees, I've done it before I realized I could have did it for more when opening a new account. Lol
Some CC's view it as a purchase and some a cash advance.

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Slightly off topic here and please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but how does buying gift cards for yourself result in more rewards?  If I go buy a $100 gift card to Wherever, I get rewards on the $100 purchase.  However, when I go to Wherever I'm not using the gift card instead of my CC.  So, instead of getting the rewards when I'm actually at Wherever, I just get them a day or two earlier when I buy the GC?  Is there something obvious that I'm missing here?  I get it if GCs can be purchased at a discount, but if one is paying face value for them how does it result in a rewards benefit when CC spend in the end is the same?

Message 27 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Slightly off topic here and please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but how does buying gift cards for yourself result in more rewards?  If I go buy a $100 gift card to Wherever, I get rewards on the $100 purchase.  However, when I go to Wherever I'm not using the gift card instead of my CC.  So, instead of getting the rewards when I'm actually at Wherever, I just get them a day or two earlier when I buy the GC?  Is there something obvious that I'm missing here?  I get it if GCs can be purchased at a discount, but if one is paying face value for them how does it result in a rewards benefit when CC spend in the end is the same?

It depends on category bonuses.   So, for example, many credit cards give enhanced rewards at grocery stores , but you might not have a card that gives extra bonuses at say Toys'R'Us.    By buying a Toys'R'Us gift card with a BCP at a grocery store, you get 6% off, whereas buying the stuff at the store might give you at most 2%  (In this case, you do better buying the card from a card exchange, but,,,,,!)

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha, that makes sense.  Thanks for the insight.  So basically gift cards would be used only for purchases at stores where one would typically use their general spend (say 2% CB) card.  Do people run into problems with this technique with creditors like Amex if you are using a large portion of your BCP spend on GCs?

Message 29 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotcha, that makes sense.  Thanks for the insight.  So basically gift cards would be used only for purchases at stores where one would typically use their general spend (say 2% CB) card.  Do people run into problems with this technique with creditors like Amex if you are using a large portion of your BCP spend on GCs?

On the low capped cards, BCE/BCP, probably not, as in general the issuer just sees grocery spend without item details.   (Basically Amex is willing to give you 6% on up to $6K, and they don't care exactly what groceries are bought!)  For other cards, especially when OBC was uncapped, they certainly did care!

Of course doing this uses up your grocery allowance, so it may not make sense if you spend close to $6K.   Depending on the gift card, going through a reseller will often produce much more savings

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.