Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Capital One card.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sony Capital One card.

I never hear anyone talk about this card very often. I just received an email inviting me to apply. Does this mean anything or do they send this to everybody? It says it's for excellent credit does anyone know what kind of scores are looking for? Any info is appreciated thank you in advance :-)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Re: Sony Capital One card.

I got it last month hoping to rack up a few rewards for some Sony electronics.
Received the card in the mail, activated it then logged into the Siny store and was met with the "No longer accepting online orders after 8-28. We are closing our online and retail stores."
Last step was tossing it in the sock drawer.
I've outgrown playing video games, but I might use it so my son and daughter can use the points for Playstation.
I think you need scores above 660 or so for this card.
It is a Visa and I would probably place it above a rebuilder as far as credit level.
Others may have their own opinions
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 2 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It seems like an okay card if you are a video game devotee, but there are better cards, IMO. The 3x categories are (generally speaking) categories most people aren't going to spend a ton on -- movie theaters, music downloads, digital streaming services, etc. Not something you generally will rack up a ton of rewards on. It used to have dining as  3x but that was removed.

So you're left with basically 5x on sony purchases. Again, useful if that's a large chunk of your spending but otherwise, expendable.

As far as the credit level I don't think it's a very difficult card to obtain. 660+ should do it like someone else said, depending on your overall file of course.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually have the Playstation Visa from Cap One with a $500 limit. I'm a PS4 gamer, so it works for me as far as using it for PSN and buying games, etc. I like it, but there are better rewards cards out there if you don't shop exclusively with Sony. 

Message 4 of 16
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I never hear anyone talk about this card very often. I just received an email inviting me to apply. Does this mean anything or do they send this to everybody? It says it's for excellent credit does anyone know what kind of scores are looking for? Any info is appreciated thank you in advance :-)

Since the best redepemtion is PSN at 1 cpp, this is probably better if you're a gamer.   If you redeem for GCs, then the value is more like 0.7 cpp.   I used this a lot when dining gave 3X points.  I redeemed for $100 worth of ARCO GCs, which was good.  

There are Credit Steps versions of this cards, so I wouldn't consider this stringent.   However, I had a BK when I applied and had to recon for approval ($1500 SL with 13.9% APR).   I also had two Cap One COs, which I suspected also played a role in the denial.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 16
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Honestly the Sony Visa and Playstation Visa are practically the same. Which one you pick just depends on your lifestyle. I got the Playstation with one pull on EQ  since it was the only one "back from vacation in Antarctica". Score was below 660.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 6 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Something to consider as a possible data point... over in the very large Capital One 'merge' thread, there's a couple of folks with the Sony card who are unable to merge their credit lines... there's speculation that it's because the Sony card is co-branded.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt... there could be a number of things causing the merge issues, and you might not be interested in that anyway.

Just food for thought... Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Something to consider as a possible data point... over in the very large Capital One 'merge' thread, there's a couple of folks with the Sony card who are unable to merge their credit lines... there's speculation that it's because the Sony card is co-branded.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt... there could be a number of things causing the merge issues, and you might not be interested in that anyway.

Just food for thought... Smiley Wink

It makes sense; generally cobranded cards are difficult/impossible to PC, merge, anything like that because they aren't "core" cards in the issuer's lineup and the rules tend to be different. So I'd assume any talk of not merging a Sony card is correct.

Message 8 of 16
Pway
Valued Contributor

I was approved for this card some months back with a credit score of 601 I believe.  I opened the Sony card because most of my electronics are Sony.  They have taken away a lot of the benefits here recently.  There used to be 3x points on dining but that is gone.  This card is useless to some, however I use my quite frequently. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 9 of 16
NichelleN
Established Contributor

I guess I haven't kept up with info on this card. I have the card and use it pretty frequently. I had no idea the dining perk was gone.

I need to read up on the changes.

More than enough credit.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.